How About S-Hoops?

BuddyRFan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Perhaps this has been covered already, and if so please direct me to the thread...but, has anyone used the "S-hoops" and if so your thoughts.

Appreciate your help. :notworthy:

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I saw a Yamaha drum set with hoops like that but I'm not sure if they were stock or not. They seemed like a good idea.

drumedge

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a Gretsch Catalina Jazz 5x14 snare with just the top hoop being an S-Hoop and I used that thing sometimes over the Brady that I had and a lot of it had to do with the S-Hoop! I was impressed and they feel so good too, strong cross-stick and of course, great for backbeats...get a pair! :icon_smile:

Z Furman is back

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like using them for batter hoops on toms for my Tempus fiberglass shells, the resonate hoops I switched to 1.8mm flanged hoops. I tried one on my fiberglass snare but I don't like the lower pitch I get from rim shots, it does make cross sticking sound good. The 10" & 13" toms I tune low & the S-Hoops add more resonance & a warmer tone to the fiberglass not sure how they would sound on maple shells.

I order the hoops from Interstate music using a 15% off coupon at that time.

http://www.interstat...02683&langId=-1

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ga7wB7NxR9o

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5vfCXSmMxhA

Good luck, drum on.
Z

Last edited by a moderator:

Hater

Genuine GMS Junkie
Reaction score
I’m a HUGE fan of S-Hoops. I’ve put them on three of my snare drums and noticed several things.

1. Ever notice how sometimes standard triple flanged hoops seem to be a bit bigger than what is necessary? Like they can be a bit too oversized in comparison to the head that it’s holding down? That doesn’t happen with an S-Hoop. (In other words, the likelihood of a head ever pulling out from under the hoop is extremely unlikely.) They seem to be made to a tighter tolerance, just enough for some wiggle room, but not outright slop, if that makes sense.

2. They sound more like a triple flanged hoop than they do a die-cast hoop to my ears. They did add a little more horsepower to the sound of the snares I installed them on. Rim clicks pop more, similar to a die- cast hoop, but they don’t make the head feel any tighter.

3. For guys who do a lot of rim shots, drum sticks last quite a bit longer since they aren’t getting chewed up on that top lip/edge.

4. The manufacturer of those hoops claim that the drums “sing” more with them installed. To see if that claim is accurate, I put a set on a 14” floor tom. (Top & bottom) I didn’t notice any more “sing” to the drum then with the standard hoops on, but it did focus the sound just a touch. I tune my drums to “sing” anyway. They did seem to resonate a bit longer, so if that’s what they meant by “singing”, then their claim could be construed as accurate. (More or less)

5. They look cool as hell. They remind me of Sticksaver hoops, which I’ve been a fan of ever since I saw a Slingerland drum kit for the first time 20+ years ago.

They do have one drawback. If you use mic clips that attach to the drum hoops, they don’t work real well (if at all, depending on which clip you are using) on drums with S-Hoops installed. I learned that one the hard way. I didn’t even think about it and when the sound guy couldn’t get the mics clipped to the drums, let’s just say that it made for an interesting evening. I’ve since re-installed the regular triple flanged hoops back onto the toms for the time being. I’m looking for new mic clips that will work with S-Hoops. I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

I will have them installed on the toms and snare drum (top and bottom) my new GMS bop kit, since I don’t have to worry about mics for that kit.

S-Hoops get a resounding thumbs-up from me! Check them out! (For the record, I’m in no way affiliated with the S-Hoop company.)

Titus Pullo

DFO Master
Reaction score
S-Hoops are, IMO, currently the best bargain in hoops. I have them on three snare drums. As for the claims of sustain, I can't really say for sure. They do feel stiffer, are well made, tune up and hold tuning a little better than TF hoops. Still more open then die cast, but a good compromise for guys who don't like DC or won't spend the dollars for them. Rimshots feel different due to the flat tops, but it doesn't take long to get used to them. For roughly the same price as TF, these are my choice.
I've not tried them on rack toms. Anyway, if I were building a kit, I'd go with them all the way around the kit for the price. Also, if you're big on how a drum looks, these give the drum a rounded appearance top and bottom vs the sharp edges of TF or the straight edge of DC. They do 'look' different. Something to keep in mind if 'looks' are important to you. I dig the rounded-over top look; some guys do not.

Edit: I find cross-sticking w/S-Hoops a bit less cutting than with TF. May be my technique, or the edge of TF, but cross sticking with these, while easier on the sticks, seems to emphasize body over a sharp cutting attack.

Redfern

Reaction score
Anyone have any issues playing brushes with the S-Hoops??? On a regular triple flanged rim or a single flange rim, once in a blue moon a single wire will get stuck between the rim and head. Has anyone noticed that this is less of an issue with these rims or is it worse???

Thanks...

Roosto

Reaction score
I had a Gretsch Catalina Jazz 5x14 snare with just the top hoop being an S-Hoop and I used that thing sometimes over the Brady that I had and a lot of it had to do with the S-Hoop! I was impressed and they feel so good too, strong cross-stick and of course, great for backbeats...get a pair! :icon_smile:
Yes, I have an S-Hoop on a CX Series 5x14 maple shell drum with PureSounds and an HD Dry head. Cured that drum of any ills it may have had. Dry, woody sound.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I put S-hoops on my latest build. I absolutely love the feel of them. EASY rim shots, with no effort. I think they're great.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Sonor Protean snare came with an S Hoop on the batter side and it is perfect for this particular snare . It is also ideal for using zero rings as the turned in edge keeps the zero ding from flopping around and falling out . I like the cross stick and rim shot sound a lot with these hoops as well .

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I bought this Slingerland Studio King without hoops a couple years ago and installed a pair of S-Hoops because they resemble sticksavers. It worked out fine.

Slingerland studio king.jpg

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I have them on a bunch of drums... LOVE them on toms, not so much on the snare I tried them on... I got a pronounced muffly effect on the snare I tried, not a good muffly, but like a boxy, inside a pillow muffly.

Full disclosure: I only tried them on one snare drum - the SLP Hickory - which is a shallow drum with a very clean, crispy pop, meant to be pretty wide open. The S hoops didn’t play well with it at all, but I suspect that they’re just not a good match for this drum.

You won’t find a better value - the fit/finish/quality to price ratio is ridiculous. They’re VERY nicely made, and at $20ish are a no-brainer. Sticksavers are nice too, and some are very affordable. But to get the fit/finish level of the S-hoop in a sticksaver style, you’d be looking at Tama Sound Arc hoops which are exponentially pricier.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Anyone have any issues playing brushes with the S-Hoops??? On a regular triple flanged rim or a single flange rim, once in a blue moon a single wire will get stuck between the rim and head. Has anyone noticed that this is less of an issue with these rims or is it worse???

Thanks...
Ok, since this has been brought back from the dead I might as well chime in. I had an S-Hoop on a snare once and found that my brushes did get caught under the inward flange every now and then. Never had an issue with TF hoops. It´s really just a matter of getting used to, but if you tend to get too close to the rim when playing brushes the S-Hoops are not the best choice.
Other than that - nice rims, well made, good sound.

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have them on a bunch of drums... LOVE them on toms, not so much on the snare I tried them on... I got a pronounced muffly effect on the snare I tried, not a good muffly, but like a boxy, inside a pillow muffly.

Full disclosure: I only tried them on one snare drum - the SLP Hickory - which is a shallow drum with a very clean, crispy pop, meant to be pretty wide open. The S hoops didn’t play well with it at all, but I suspect that they’re just not a good match for this drum.

You won’t find a better value - the fit/finish/quality to price ratio is ridiculous. They’re VERY nicely made, and at $20ish are a no-brainer. Sticksavers are nice too, and some are very affordable. But to get the fit/finish level of the S-hoop in a sticksaver style, you’d be looking at Tama Sound Arc hoops which are exponentially pricier.
Apologies if I'm hijacking. I have the same snare. I've had some problems getting the tuning I want out f it. I have a zero-ring on it and it sounds great, but I want to learn to tune it without one. Any tips or suggestions? The problem is a lack of snare sensitivity if you hit it away from the center...you get a sort of hollow boinging. The heads are in tune, I think I have a bad match between top and bottom head.

Also, I tend to hit pretty hard. is that a problem for such a shallow drum?