How About Songs w/Ride Cymbals That We Liked?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Subdivisions. Pipeline. Panama. Black Dog. Cocaine. Us and Them. In My Life. Break On Through. LA Woman intro! Seven Steps to Heaven. My Favorite Things. Impressions. So What. Take Five.....et al.

Biggsenator

Reaction score
End of Chicago's "Feelin' Stronger Every Day." Quarter notes (instead of the more commonly played 8th notes) on the bell. So cool. Danny Seraphine was such an underrated drummer. Fantastic foot. Especially for the time. Cut my teeth playing with early Chicago albums. We played this in high school stage band when I was in 9th grade. Learning to play the bass and snare interchange with quarter rather than eighth notes on the ride at the end was one of my first coordination challenges.

Biggsenator

Reaction score
OK, maybe the ride cymbal is in retreat but there were some magic moments.

My all time favorite - sounds like each note is being lifted out of the cymbal by the stick. Roger Hawkins.

& John Densmore made tasty use of his ride:

(Don't remember this music video)

And Charlie Watts

Anything Motown was magical. Usually a good bit of wash but just right. Those guys knew how to play MUSIC.

pjmariner

Reaction score
Jamie Oldaker had some great bluesy ride work on the whole slowhand alblum. This is probably my favorite.