How About Songs w/Ride Cymbals That We Liked?

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
wow, YES. They were so good in this era. Danny Fichelscher handling both the drums and the guitar. Really love Letzte Tage, Letzte Nacht as well, with Danny and Renate from Amon Duul.
That's an amazing album too, I have a deep love for all of their 1970's output, and Fichelscher was a perfect foil to Florian Fricke and an incredible multi-instrumentalist. Such inspiring stuff, glad to know there are others out there who dig it too!

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being old I'm not familiar with about 90% of the artists listed. The ride came into it's own mainly in the fifties as I recall. When you look at the Big Bands of the 30s and 40s one will see cymbals were small and used for accents only and the Hat was used extensively. I first became aware of rides in the Be Bop era and today I still marvel at those drummers and their ride patterns. I use the ride a lot and I'm not ashamed to say that I try and emulate those great drummers. Joe Morello's 5/4 work on his ride was huge. I'm also a fan of Philly Joe and his work on the ride. The biggest thing that requires practice is "the loose wrist action" that allows one to do varied patterns. I see so many younger drummers using a tight wrist and following a set pattern rather than let the stick do the work. But in fairness Rock, at least the soft stuff and Country I've played require that. For example, when playing Be Bop or any modern Jazz I keep at busy left hand.. trad grip.. with slaps and fills and mini rolls. I'll sometimes but not always do the roll on the ride to match. Stuff I learned watching the aforementioned
Jazz drummers. So for me it's the Be Bop / Modern Jazz
guys.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's something to be said for a ride that's like a "sea of sound" for everyone else to float on, too....

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
What catches me off guard are the big budget commercials on TV. There is always some cool "K" sounding, beautiful, glassy, cutting ride in the background. I like 'em!.....as far as commercials go. Kinda jazzy.

Z

headsweep

Reaction score
This song always comes to mind when I think of a song in which you can actually hear the ride cymbal. (There are very few.) Funny thing, though, I don't care for this ride sound. I suppose it works for the song and I don't dislike it, but it's not the ride sound I usually like.
I always wanted to know what ride cymbal Chad Channing was playing on Nirvana'a Bleach album for the song "About A Girl". I really like how the ride sounds on that song, and I have asked around but no one knew what cymbal he used.

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
I always wanted to know what ride cymbal Chad Channing was playing on Nirvana'a Bleach album for the song "About A Girl". I really like how the ride sounds on that song, and I have asked around but no one knew what cymbal he used.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the ride parts in basically all of appetite for destruction. They definitely loved their rides. Some of my favorites are the ride part in Welcome to The Jungle and the groove in It's so Easy. That entire album was full of some amazing ride grooves.

For Welcome to The Jungle, I am talking specifically about the timestamps 2:17 and 2:46.

For It's so Easy, the main groove is basically lots of ride with a cowbell thrown in for part of the chorus.
The drumming on that album is really underrated. I didn't appreciate it at the time. Steven Adler just played with a swagger that wasn't duplicated in later configurations of the band. Too bad about all the drugs.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Chester Thompson's ride on Genesis - "Three Sides Live" is also very nice. I think he was using a big Paiste Rude at that time, believe it or not.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jim Riley starts demonstration at about 4:26
I've seen this and I think Zildjian has captured or a very close to the sound of Joe's original ride. I lucked into a 70s 22in Zildjian Canada ride last December that has a very similar sound and as Joe is my all time fav i was very pleased. As I stated I loved Joe's ride work especially on Take 5 and Philly Joe and for that matter any Be Bop drummer as they play so freely and with so many patterns.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen this and I think Zildjian has captured or a very close to the sound of Joe's original ride. I lucked into a 70s 22in Zildjian Canada ride last December that has a very similar sound and as Joe is my all time fav i was very pleased. As I stated I loved Joe's ride work especially on Take 5 and Philly Joe and for that matter any Be Bop drummer as they play so freely and with so many patterns.
22in 70s Zildjian A Ride

Attachments

River

Reaction score
Bobby Mcferrin's son, Taylor. Kind of sounds like a flat ride. Love it.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
from Derek & the Dominoes to Steely Dan to Traffic my favorite ride sound is Jim Gordon's 22" K Istanbul
He had a certain way he played the ride that sounded so good...and I wonder just what model it was. It may well be that Jim himself didn't actually know - back then, drummers went into shops and tried cymbals, rather than specific model lines of cymbals. Nobody seems to know what model it was for sure. It sure does sound like a K Istanbul, though. In one of Scott Fish's interviews, he said that he had cracked that ride - this was the late 70s or very early 80s, I believe. I think he used that ride for about everything he did domestically from 1968 until it cracked. Suffice to say that, had his life turned out like most other famous drummers, Zildjian would have done a reissue of that ride.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bobby Mcferrin's son, Taylor. Kind of sounds like a flat ride. Love it.

Now that's fine ride work. I'm guessing that's called
Fusion Jazz but I don't pretend to know it or where it deviates from modern Jazz. But nice work anyway.. he's letting the stick do the work.