How custom can Ludwig go?

swayed1

Reaction score
I’ve always wanted a new Custom set of Ludwigs in full dress but instead of the diamond pattern I thought it would look cool to have the keystone shape.

IE Mahogany stain with a silver, red, then gold sparkle dress. Would something like this ever be possible? Where would you start?

What are your experiences with custom shops going above and beyond?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Ludwig wouldn't do what you describe, or at least not as a one off. I always liked this kit Ringo had made....was it John Douglas? edit: found.... The Ludwig Legacy Maple drum set is finished in a custom abalone shell pattern by Bill Cardwell of the C+C Drum Company. Cardwell hand cut, fitted and glued hundreds of pieces of abalone shell and purple sparkle to create this exquisite one of a kind drum set. This is the only complete drum set ever made with this type of hand cut abalone shell finish.

So to answer question, you'd need to go with one of the custom companies and wouldn't be cheap. You'd have to buy a maple finished kit I guess and then have someone custom the wrap. Would be neat though.

4 Ringo Abalone Kit Back View.jpg

Last edited:

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
C&C did one way before this Ludwig,Chris.
I watched them put the small sheets of abalone on a kit they were building,1500$ for the kit and another 1500$ for the abalone. This was about the yr. 2000.
The fella had it for a yr.or so.
Then it was on ebay.
It looked good but not as classy as Ringos.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
A cheaper way of doing it would be to have Precision Drum Company do a custom wrap where the inlays would just be graphics on the sparkle wrap and then sent to Ludwig. Ludwig does have the option of customer provided wrap.
That would be absolutely awesome. Definitely post pictures if you're able to pull something like that off.

swayed1

Reaction score

Latest posts