header.nohb.html

How do I clean a cymbal

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
my rides looken a little old and i just want to know how
to get them marks out and get the shine back into it.
In my experience, either of these will do an excellent job of cleaning and polishing your cymbals. The Trick Cymbal Polish is sold at Sam Ash. The Flitz Polish is sold at most hardware stores. Be aware that they will also remove ink logos. Otherwise, dish soap and a soft cloth and let the cymbal age like a fine wine.

Image for Cymbal & Metal Polish from SamAsh

1656080469809.jpeg

Bronzepie

Reaction score
White vinegar and a bit of dish soap, rinse really well and towel dry. Only for non coated cymbals. It’s mild, won’t bring it to a blinding shine, just freshens it up without the mess of polishing. Won’t hurt logos.

rstange1

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like some kind of soulless cymbal abuser, has anyone run a cymbal through the dishwasher? I generally don't clean cymbals, but it's a serious question. :)

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like some kind of soulless cymbal abuser, has anyone run a cymbal through the dishwasher? I generally don't clean cymbals, but it's a serious question. :)
I wonder if the hot water would do anything to the metal. Probably not, but that would be my only concern.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For simple cleaning - just to get some surface stuff off and maybe a bit of tarnish - I like to use lemon juice with some baking soda mixed in. The lemon juice will remove a lot of tarnish, and the baking soda acts as a mild abrasive if you need to scrub. You want to get the lemon juice to just sit on the surface of the cymbal for about 15-30 minutes, and it will naturally do it's thing. Sprinkle on some baking soda as needed for scrubbing.

For a heavier cleaning, I like Bar Keepers Friend. I use the liquid version for most cleaning, and the powder for when I need to get some serious grime off.
Do that’s ok to do with Paiste cymbals? The reason why I ask is because they recommend just soap and water for their cymbals which I’ve done but now it seems like I have some tarnish on there. Paistes have that special coating on there and I’m not sure if lemon juice would remove it or not. I’m also not sure why even have tarnish on my cymbals in the first place. Maybe it’s from cleaning them with soap and water too much?

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
I've put mechanical keyboards through the dishwasher with great success, why not solid metal? Still, as I wrote earlier, I'm not in the cleaning camp. There's a damn fine reason old pies are sought after and it's not because they are blindingly clean.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do that’s ok to do with Paiste cymbals? The reason why I ask is because they recommend just soap and water for their cymbals which I’ve done but now it seems like I have some tarnish on there. Paistes have that special coating on there and I’m not sure if lemon juice would remove it or not. I’m also not sure why even have tarnish on my cymbals in the first place. Maybe it’s from cleaning them with soap and water too much?
I'm not sure. I've never tried to clean a Paiste with anything other than soap and water.

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My latest victim: A $30 cymbal with two hours of cleaning!
I've never cleaned such a dirty cymbal, I couldn't figure out what the black stuff was on the edges! I thought this may be made of brass from the color but I was wrong (B8!).
Cleaning steps: worn scotch brite, soap & water, then barkeepers powder (the harshest of the harsh!!), then a couple of coatings of Flitz, rinse in between each step, then carnauba wax.
The edges are still dull, may try Blue magic to get a more polished look....

1657073283278.png
1657073332880.png

1657073379145.png
1657073411998.png

Drumming-4-Life

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For everyone posting in this thread... the OP is a scammer... who is stealing money from other DFO members. Luckily I recovered my money, but others may not be so lucky. AVOID harrismikol

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
For everyone posting in this thread... the OP is a scammer... who is stealing money from other DFO members. Luckily I recovered my money, but others may not be so lucky. AVOID harrismikol
You don’t need to keep posting about this. We have already banned the user for failing the sniff test as well as your testimony.

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it. From the responses to this thread [as recent as Tuesday] it didn't appear obvious that people were aware they were responding to an illegitimate OP.
I didn't know he was a scammer, but the topic is important and I've learned quite a bit from the other posts!