how do i clean a cymbal?

katfish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Re: how to clean a cymbal

Has anyone tried Bar Keepers Friend (liquid version) on Paiste 2002 cymbals? Will it take off the protective coating or lacquer on the cymbal? I know for sure that it will remove the logos. I will try and clean around the logos.

gryphon

?????!
Reaction score

katfish said:
Has anyone tried Bar Keepers Friend (liquid version) on Paiste 2002 cymbals? Will it take off the protective coating or lacquer on the cymbal? I know for sure that it will remove the logos. I will try and clean around the logos.
Boy, I wish Meinl and Istanbul printed their logos with Paiste's ink. Man, those suckers were a bear to remove.

jim

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...
Reaction score
Hello,

I used some MAAS polish on my Paiste SFs and it is wonderful. It really cleans the grime away and restores a shine. However, MAAS metal cleaner (all purpose for any/every metal) is separate from the MAAS polish. I've noticed some of the crud coming back, but it'll be a while before 3 years of crap returns. Some on the forum have used auto wax on their cymbals for protection.

Cheers!

NeedForSpeed

Reaction score

katfish said:

I use Bar Keepers Friend. As far as I'm concerned, less than $5 for many years worth of clean cymbals is great for me. The logos on my Sabian and Zildjian cymbals are still intact and I've cleaned them about 10+ times. Just don't scrub hard around the logos and I think you'll be fine!

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
200 + hits, change the query a few times and you could probably write a book about cymbal cleaning

search function is located at the upper right corner of EVERY page

here's a start, happy reading...
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=cleaning+cymbals

Oh yeah, James and NFS welcome to DFO

If Wyle E. Coyote could afford to buy all that ACME crap...why didn't he just buy dinner?

Sport?

DrumBob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Go to the supermarket and buy a can of Bon Ami cleanser. It'll cost you about $1.79. Put the cymbal under warm running water in the bathtub, wet it down, sprinkle the Bon Ami across the entire cymbal, and rub it in a circular motion with a sponge. Watch the dirt and grime come right off on the sponge. It'll take all the crap off the cymbal and leave a great shine. It will also take your logos off, so be careful. Rinse the cymbal thoroughly and dry it off with an old towel.

Bon Ami is an oldtime bathroom cleanser that's been around for decades. It contains absolutely no abrasives and will not scratch your cymbals. One can will last years!

Another forum member recently tried Bon Ami and emailed me how happy he was with the results.

It's cheap and it works great without a lot of effort. :notworthy:

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Bar Keeper's and Bon Ami are essentially the same stuff .... cleaners designed for stainless steel sinks and counter tops. Both work great ... I've had a little more difficulty getting the BKF cleaned cymbals rinsed good but the bath tub with a sprayer works great .... even more is you can clean them in say the sink and then use the tub for a good clean water rinse.

Both work good on Paiste cymbals but that coating will wear down over time ... you can replace the protective properties of the coating with a light coat of automotive chrome and metal polish ... buff to taste!!

For more thorough cleaning on Paiste's use their proprietary cleaner.

Robb

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
DrumBob said:
Go to the supermarket and buy a can of Bon Ami cleanser. It'll cost you about $1.79. Put the cymbal under warm running water in the bathtub, wet it down, sprinkle the Bon Ami across the entire cymbal, and rub it in a circular motion with a sponge. Watch the dirt and grime come right off on the sponge. It'll take all the crap off the cymbal and leave a great shine. It will also take your logos off, so be careful. Rinse the cymbal thoroughly and dry it off with an old towel.

Bon Ami is an oldtime bathroom cleanser that's been around for decades. It contains absolutely no abrasives and will not scratch your cymbals. One can will last years!

Another forum member recently tried Bon Ami and emailed me how happy he was with the results.

It's cheap and it works great without a lot of effort. :notworthy:

What this guy said is how you use it !!!! Bon Ami also available usually right beside BKF is good as well.

Robb

James N.

Reaction score
thanks for the help guys. im very happy with the results :D
here is some pictures.

...before...

[attachment=5]cards 005 (Medium).jpg[/attachment]

...after...

[attachment=4]cards 006 (Medium).jpg[/attachment]

...before...

[attachment=3]cards 007 (Medium).jpg[/attachment]

...after...

[attachment=2]cards 008 (Medium).jpg[/attachment]

...before...

[attachment=1]cards 009 (Medium).jpg[/attachment]

...after...

View attachment 11348

thanks again for the help. :notworthy:

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Glad that you got the results you were looking for !!!

Just be careful handling them for a while ... use some cotton gloves unless you can keep them moved around with your fingertips on the edges ... like you would properly handle a vinyl LP.

They will fingerprint easier now ... you can put a light mist of furniture polish on them and buff it in to help keep fingerprints off or try a light coat of automotive chrome and metal polish and buff that out also. That will help also ... I tend to keep those cloth diapers around for buffing and usually carry some on a gig with me ... just to buff up the bronze before a show.

Robb

Latest posts