How do I Start a Teaching Practice?

bigbeat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I want to start a small business teaching drum set. I have many years of both professional playing and taking professional lessons, so I have confidence in my ability to do the work. Now I need students. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Stickclick

Reaction score
Advertise on craigslist. Talk to managers at local music stores. Post signs on bulletin boards.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Make sure you get your curriculum together too... don't wait for the students then wing-it/improvise instruction when they show up.
A good interview process and periodic evaluation method for goals is also an important part of this process.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Prepare yourself for beginners...I recommend using a good book.

You will get youngsters who have to be shown the proper way to hold their sticks, and more advanced players who can't read a note, so they are all beginners in one way or another.

Find a single book that can accommodate this group. I like Joel Rothman's "Reading, Rudiments, and Rock Drumming (it also includes jazz)...you may already have a favorite. A book keeps both your student, and you as a teacher, organized and will help down the road when you have a larger number and have to keep track of their progress.

The more advanced books that I use are Ted Reed's "Syncopation ..." and Gary Chester's "New Breed", but most all of my students are in the first book...there is a big turn over among the starters so only the dedicated ones will advance. I consider that first book my assistant teacher.

jlappin

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I want to start a small business teaching drum set. I have many years of both professional playing and taking professional lessons, so I have confidence in my ability to do the work. Now I need students. Any suggestions would be welcome.
You might also try using the socials to get your offerings out there. Facebook, Instagram, Youtube. Make some little videos of yourself playing, so people can get interested.

bigbeat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response, but my teaching business has not prospered. Still no Students:pale:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response, but my teaching business has not prospered. Still no Students:pale:
Try lowering your rates until you get a following. If I were doing this, and knowing most everyone I see around me charges $25/half hour.....I'd be charging $10-15/half hour to get started.

One would think the Orlando, FL region would be a lively place for lessons and students.

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I've picked up students at GC. I'm pretty close w/the employees, and they let me play as long as I like. If I see someone playing, or trying to play, I'll grab a kit near them. I'll join them, and just start chatting with them, or their parents/guardian at the time.
Each case is different. I just feel it out. Sometimes I'll play a few simple, good sounding licks, and explain "that was a paradiddle moved around the kit", and write out the sticking, and bar w/the accents I'm using. *just an example.
Other times I'll join a groove with someone who has some experience, and just play.
People will ask if I teach, and take it from there.
Someone mentioned schools. Great idea, but find out who the music director is, and try to set up a meeting (don't just walk in a Jr Hi lol.)
In the state I'm in now, you have to get authorized paperwork stating, you never have had any legal issues, especially with kids. I'm sure most, if not all places will have some sort of requirements that are similar.
I haven't done this yet, but make a few short instructional vids. I can see that being a huge help.
I don't teach full time, nor have I really went out of my way to find students. Just make up some business cards, and get out there.