HOW do you listen to music today????? Looking for advice???

Vanhalen1984

Reaction score
The wife and I are starting our yearly spring cleaning and I am back in my office looking at my jumbo CD cases holding over 3,000 CD'S and I am contemplating converting all of them to digital format on a hard drive to access. After 30 years of records I finally got rid of all of them in the 90's and have resisted the current resurgence of vinyl to save my wallet from the pain.

I have converted / burnt hundreds of my discs over the past few years for my ipod but have never dug in an taken it on as a project but I have so much great music and I don't actually even have a CD player set up in my home at this time so my question is... HOW are you listing to your music today?

We have an Amazon Alexa in the house and I have various Ipods and mp3 players laying around full of music along with Pandora on my cell phones but we do not actually subscribe to any streaming service.

I'm Looking for a great option out there that will allow me to listen to everything from classic rock, bad 80's, fusion, funk and just about everything in between and modern radio / music does not do much for me unless you dig through all the crap for the diamonds in the rough.

So what is your go to method of listing to music that you really enjoy today?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I miss actual stereo system and real speakers. I miss music in the house. I mostly listen in my car to mp3's.

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play cd's and iPod Classic in my car. I have fallen down the rabbit hole when it comes to vinyl. I play vinyl,cd's,iPod and stuff off my computer inside. I don't want to be held down to one way to listen to music. I love it too much.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
We have an Echo Dot/Alexa hooked up to a decent soundbar in our kitchen, which is pretty much the center of our house. Prior to that it was an iPad-as-jukebox. Amazon Music that comes with Amazon Prime is as-good-or-close-enough compared to any of the other streaming services, and you can listen to entire albums without commercials with the next level up ($6-$7 more a month?).

It's kind of neat to be able to yell out the next thing you want to listen to while being up to your elbows butterflying and stuffing a pork roulade.

Still buy vinyl that comes with download codes, but for the price of maybe 4 albums per year this is pretty hard to beat in terms of convenience and selection.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've uploaded all my CDs to Google Play. Holds 10,000 songs for free. I Bluetooth it all from my phone in the car and at home I send it to my Sonos. I still buy CDs and purchase downloads from artist sites and Google Play.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
This is how I listen to music....4 systems all set up in the living room, surrounded by about a 1000 cds and 4000 lps.
Reel to reels kick you know what. Fire them up and stand back, yep not married.
It's all good.

IMG_8347.JPG.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Still listening w/home stereo to cassettes,vinyl, and cd. CD's in truck and wish I could still get cassette player as I have 600 +/- tapes. Never got into MP3 iPod etc. My wife got me a 'device'(looks like a mixer)to record vinyl and cassettes to cd but I never used it sadly. Mostly from lack of knowledge w/electronics. I do still rock the Sony Cassette Walkman. : )

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have good jazz and blues on local radio. Have a vintage stereo that I play CDs and vinyl on. Have an iMac for you tube. That's about it.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i listen to my 4000+ albums on a turntable, amp, and speakers - just like i always have.

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Depending on my mood, I do everything from vinyl, CD, files, and streaming. It all depends on what format I have of whatever I feel like listening to. My favorite stuff I have on every format so it's just whatever is convenient at the moment. Vinyl is definitely for active listening. Background, maybe I'll slap on a CD or if my laptop is open I'll play from Spotify. On the go my phone has both mp3's on an SD card and Spotify.

I still purchase music but I have stopped buying downloads. My itunes account is basically dormant since streaming decimated everything.

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am subscribed to Apple Music with my iPhone. Very good service with high quality sound. I use it in my car and at home with headphones together with digital to analog converter.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like having hard copies of my music. I had an extensive library on a my computer at one point with no back ups (yep my fault). The computer crashed and I lost 1000s of songs. So I tend to buy the cd and put it on my computer or buy the digital media and burn it to a cd.

I also use Pandora and bandcamp off my phone through BT speakers.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't have the number of cd's/records/whatever that others do; just about 1200 cd's. After dragging my feet for some years I finally made the move to mp3, and ripped most of the collection. Three years ago I got a Fiio X1 player, mainly because it will accept high capacity SD cards. At this point I have a little over 12,000 tracks on my player, and I use it everywhere. I also keep a copy of everything on the player in a separate folder on my computer's hard drive, and back it up regularly with my documents. I still have my cd's and occasionally get one out, but these days it's mostly on the X1.

When I want to be exposed to something new I either tune to the local college jazz station (KNTU) or to the jazz channel on my cable tv music service, both good sources for me.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
All my music is on the computer and put on the phone to listen to. We have a few Alexas in the house and Ive been toying with getting a Sonos system in the house. In the car, its either off my phone to the info system of the car if it has Bluetooth and if not when Im going to a gig in my minivan (an old one, 2004), I carry a Bluetooth speaker I bought at Costco that connects to my phone. Honestly though, I only listen to recordings of my band gigs or Audible books or SiriusXM satellite (I use the app on my phone. It works great). The only time Im listening to music is usually when Im learning a song.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
In the house, there's two Sonos speakers (kitchen and living room) that can play any songs from my library (iTunes and a 1 terabyte storage device), plus Pandora, Amazon Prime Music, etc.

Sonos is great because we can take the speaker out to the porch, upstairs or wherever. They sound great, too, and I control them from my iPhone.

In the car, I use my iPhone (Bluetooth) or my iPod classic--which has 65,000 songs on it (through an Aux cable).

Oh, and I have turntable set up in the living room.

In the basement, I play my iPhone or iPod through a 30 w bass amp when I want songs (including drumless tracks) to drum along to.

P.S: I don't use Alexa or whatever because I don't want the robots monitoring everything I say because they'll likely use my own words against me when they become self aware and begin the great robot war against mankind.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
I ripped all of my CDs to MP3 years ago. I have lots of backups, and mainly listen in my car or at work. We do have a Sonos system at work, and I would love to get a Playbase and some Ones for at home one day.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I think about this a lot! I listen to many different formats in many different places I guess. In my music room, I have a component system setup with four large speakers. I have it setup to play cds, 8 tracks and cassettes. Even have a jack for the phone to plug into but it seems to aggravate me too much to use much. Here at my computer, I have a Telefunken Hymnus console behind me. Listen to my vinyl here. I have my computer feeding into a component system with various speakers placed strategically moving from a nearfield setup to some large Grundig speakers. The main receiver here gives me my radio stations and also 8 track again. I also have a reel to reel setup here in my computer area. Late at night when I read, i simply listen to Spotify quietly through my computer speakers. Out in my workshop, I have a full component system setup and listen to cds out there. Also have a small complete setup out there for some quiet radio listening. I still buy vinyl as often as I find it. Still buy certain 8 tracks that I like as well as a few cassettes. I have not bought a lot of reel tapes as I just don't see them often and especially at a nice price. No music on the Harley by choice and rarely listen to any music in my old trucks. Things change....years ago almost all my listening time was cds in the vehicles.

gbow

Reaction score
Spotify. I know it's been highly criticized by many musicians..

But you can instantly bring up just about anything you've ever heard. Build your own playlists however you like. Or tune into one of the many curated playlists for any genre you want, or radio station style. If you play an album or artists or playlist, when it finishes you can have it set to continue playing other songs "similar" to what you just played. I think It's spectacular.

It's still as hard as ever to actually "find" music. There is so much good music that is not "promoted" and therefore like a needle in a haystack.

For many even our music fits that category. We're an unknown, obscure act that has been playing for almost 40 years. Some how we have fans from almost every country in the world and many of them now find us on spotify. It's fun for sure.

gabo

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Car radio / media player (CD or cassette, in my case), youtube or on tv.