How Do You Market Yourself when You're Older (Mid 60's and Up) ?

drumsforme

Reaction score
Need help here. Used to gig 100+ jobs a year mid 1970's thru last year. The Bands down here are (South Florida) looking for younger drummers....... I network very actively but I see even older folks bands want a young drummer (25-45). Capabilities are still there. Still woodshed and still go out to jams to put myself out there, but this past year it has been hard getting into working playing situations. I have now tried to focus on old man bands, but there are few and far between. I Have great incredible modern gear and play 50's thru today. Cant figure it out....I use Full Version of Bandmix, Musicians Contact Service, Facebook & Craigslist.......Turning 66 in January. Any suggestions?

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I wish I could help with the answers but I'm also encouraged to see you still wanting to play as much as ever. I'll be 49 this December and I fully intend to play until I can't anymore. Even at my age I have already seen craigslist posts they say something like "no old dudes please (40 and older)".

I used to think it was cool when I would put up an add offering my services as a drummer and I would put down the number of years I had been doing this. It sounded like the experience would help me out or make things look better. Now it just makes me think that people will think that I am an old guy that can't run with the younger crowd. Good luck and let us know how it goes as I am curious to see what some of the other answers will be. I know Dan RH is a very active member with tons of experience and I am assuming countless amounts of energy. maybe he will chime in.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One thing you could do is work on your "look". If you're playing in cover bands at clubs, I've seen clubs turn down bands that "look to old" because the club is trying to attract a younger crowd.

Maybe start with a new hair style/clothes, etc.

People like Kenny Arnoff 66, Mark Schulman 58, Dave Weckl 59, Ringo Starr 79, Tommy Lee 57, Chad Smith 58, Butch Vig 64 they dress much younger than you typically think someone in (or close) to their 60's.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Just looked at my local Craigslist and there's a listing in the musicians section for "Vintage Vocalist/Guitarist in search of other Vintage Vocalists." There's also one headlined "Old Fart Lead Guitar Wanted."

In your area, there must be other guys searching for older players, but don't know how to signal that they're looking for someone who just learned to shave. Or you could move to central North Carolina.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
One thing you could do is work on your "look". If you're playing in cover bands at clubs, I've seen clubs turn down bands that "look to old" because the club is trying to attract a younger crowd.

People like Kenny Arnoff 66, Mark Schulman 58, Dave Weckl 59, Ringo Starr 79, Tommy Lee 57, Chad Smith 58, Butch Vig 64 they dress much younger than you typically think someone in (or close) to their 60's.
Exactly. A drummer buddy of mine is 60 and for the first few years knowing him I thought he was in his mid-40's because of the way he dresses and his demeanor. Clothing can go a long way, as long as you find a style the suits you and it fits well.

Other than that I really don't have any advice. But it's awesome that you've been able to play over 100 gigs a year for that long. That's keeping busy!

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I advertised myself on Craigslist as a mature drummer, plays for the song, comes prepared, bla bla. Got several responses, joined a band where at 65, I'm the youngest. My bandmates are 68-73. We gig 2-4x per month which is perfect for me.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have tried solo marketing as a drummer with no success other than from people who already know me and have played with me before. I am at the end of the "acceptable" age spectrum also but I do look a few years younger than I really am - luckily. I guess it is a reality as we age but jazz players seem to get away with it more than rock drummers ...

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some great suggestions here. I am 52 and have had mixed results with Craigslist and Bandmix, but definitely some good experiences. You have to know going into it that you are going to waste some time jamming with folks that you end up not wanting to play with after that initial session. Most of the better bands have been through word of mouth. If there are bands you like, make yourself a known quantity by hanging out at their gigs and seeing if they know anyone, or have side projects they need a drummer for. Would you feel comfortable sharing your bandmix page in this posting? Maybe folks could give you advice on how to improve it.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Could not agree more. That is the reality of the situation. This is definitely not directed at anyone here per se, but based on my general observations, lose the baseball cap, the flame shirts, cargo shorts, mandles, beer belly, etc. Older guys like Arnoff, Steve Smith, etc., still look hip because they take care of themselves physically, and they dress cool: scarves, form fitting clothes, shades... Look the part, and no one will raise an eyebrow at your age.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I guess you are new to your area? Find one music store and one band you really actually like, then work your way from there.
That's how I've met folks when in a new town. I'm fairly certain it would work equally well for an actual skilled player as it has for me.

drumsforme

Reaction score
Just looked at my local Craigslist and there's a listing in the musicians section for "Vintage Vocalist/Guitarist in search of other Vintage Vocalists." There's also one headlined "Old Fart Lead Guitar Wanted."

In your area, there must be other guys searching for older players, but don't know how to signal that they're looking for someone who just learned to shave. Or you could move to central North Carolina.
Enjoyed your response......Looks like demographics are different where are....Good for you !

tripp2k

Reaction score
Consider offering your services as a reliable backup or fill in and then I would reckon your scope opens up. When the need arises, Superman becomes in demand.

drumsforme

Reaction score
I guess you are new to your area? Find one music store and one band you really actually like, then work your way from there.
That's how I've met folks when in a new town. I'm fairly certain it would work equally well for an actual skilled player as it has for me.
Played in this market late 80's till now......just used to working more.
Some great suggestions here. I am 52 and have had mixed results with Craigslist and Bandmix, but definitely some good experiences. You have to know going into it that you are going to waste some time jamming with folks that you end up not wanting to play with after that initial session. Most of the better bands have been through word of mouth. If there are bands you like, make yourself a known quantity by hanging out at their gigs and seeing if they know anyone, or have side projects they need a drummer for. Would you feel comfortable sharing your bandmix page in this posting? Maybe folks could give you advice on how to improve it.
Yes here is my Bandmix page......any suggestions on how to improve would be appreciated!

www.Bandmix.com/Marc-Drums

Latest posts