How Do You Market Yourself when You're Older (Mid 60's and Up) ?

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Played in this market late 80's till now......just used to working more.

Yes here is my Bandmix page......any suggestions on how to improve would be appreciated!

www.Bandmix.com/Marc-Drums
Wow - I wouldn’t change a thing. I agree you’re probably overqualified for most of what I see on Bandmix. Maybe just fudge your age on the site :)

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to run an ad on Craigslist occasionally that included "Willing to work with younger musicians if you can keep up." Didn't seem to reduce my opportunities.

And I'm 72.

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sit in the car and have a younger guy come in and set-up your kit at the first rehearsal. As they are fixing to start the first number, tell them to hold off a minute while he calls you to come in, then appear and take his place.

Samuel100

Reaction score
Hey, you can try out these things if possible maybe hire some kid out some freelancing site to do most of theses stuff for you like a virtual assistant.
1.Get seen on Youtube
2.Get Business Cards
3.Put up a Blog/WebPage
4.Social Media (twitter, facebook
5.Gig and Network – If you are just starting out… you may need to attend many jam sessions or sit in on a few gigs. You will be surprised in how much business you can drum up by sitting in.
6.Keep Challenging Yourself – We are all guilty of becoming complacent, but if you want to stay ahead of the game, you must continue to re-invent yourself.

These are just a few tips to help you market yourself. I’m rooting for your success !

Regards
Samuel

m_anderson

Reaction score
Must be the demographic, because I see lots of older musician bands in my area doing the classic rock thing. I've never looked at Craigslist for anything and never will.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think demographic may be part of it. In my neck of the woods there is a good mix of music and at my age of 75 there is a good number of individuals (mostly the older) that enjoys older styles of music. I'm lucky that I play the older Country and Rock style music.

The average age of the band members also has some effect on who gets hired. I remember having trouble playing with the OLDER guys until they found out I was one of the quietest drummers in town and played their style; Big Band, Dixieland, Country and Rock. Things were a lot simpler then...LOL!

Just keep trying, you'll find a group.

sherm

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
looks like you're doing all you could do
No friends built up over the years? ( I gig with some I've known 10,20, 30 and 40 years..) or are you in a new location

Last edited:

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Marc - taking a peek at your page, you might want to try shying away from some of the age references if you can... 'Extensive experience playing" as opposed "Over 40 years..." Skip answering "Years playing music:" inquiry. Same at the top - do you have to disclose your age on this site. Can it be "Adult Male" instead?

I don't know - might help...

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of the things that got me gigs at my age was a seeming specialization .....while that is not all I played, obviously, it was a reputation for brush playing that opened doors for acoustic gigs in places where volume was required to be lower. Not sure what you could or would "specialize" in but it could be Latin or good taste or something .... just a thought.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Could not agree more. That is the reality of the situation. This is definitely not directed at anyone here per se, but based on my general observations, lose the baseball cap, the flame shirts, cargo shorts, mandles, beer belly, etc. Older guys like Arnoff, Steve Smith, etc., still look hip because they take care of themselves physically, and they dress cool: scarves, form fitting clothes, shades... Look the part, and no one will raise an eyebrow at your age.
Totally agree with this. I’m 66 and play in 2 bands and a lot other sub work. BUT that being said, I hear complaints from other older guys currently not in bands. I do notice they complain a lot about everything...”too far, gear is too heavy, hate this music or that”. I find a positive and professional attitude takes you a long way. Works for me.

drumsforme

Reaction score
I used to run an ad on Craigslist occasionally that included "Willing to work with younger musicians if you can keep up." Didn't seem to reduce my opportunities.

And I'm 72.
Wow Paul,,,,Your website looks great. You are still fairly busy. Kudos to you and I hope when I am your age I will be doing as well......Great !

drumsforme

Reaction score
Marc - taking a peek at your page, you might want to try shying away from some of the age references if you can... 'Extensive experience playing" as opposed "Over 40 years..." Skip answering "Years playing music:" inquiry. Same at the top - do you have to disclose your age on this site. Can it be "Adult Male" instead?

I don't know - might help...
Thanks Buddy.......You bring up a few good points and I will take your advice and correct that!....Thanks for viewing !

drumsforme

Reaction score
Hey, you can try out these things if possible maybe hire some kid out some freelancing site to do most of theses stuff for you like a virtual assistant.
1.Get seen on Youtube
2.Get Business Cards
3.Put up a Blog/WebPage
4.Social Media (twitter, facebook
5.Gig and Network – If you are just starting out… you may need to attend many jam sessions or sit in on a few gigs. You will be surprised in how much business you can drum up by sitting in.
6.Keep Challenging Yourself – We are all guilty of becoming complacent, but if you want to stay ahead of the game, you must continue to re-invent yourself.

These are just a few tips to help you market yourself. I’m rooting for your success !

Regards
Samuel
Thanks for your input. Have several videos on Youtube, Hand out business cards which have my picture, Active on Facebook, however your point of attending more Jams would probably be a good idea. I was told by several people about reinventing myself.... You are Right !.....Thanks

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Played in this market late 80's till now......just used to working more.

Yes here is my Bandmix page......any suggestions on how to improve would be appreciated!

www.Bandmix.com/Marc-Drums
The singer is very weak, has the rhythm and presence of a blind paraplegic coke crazed squirrel. Liked the piano player, everything else worked well. I would find another singer or not have that one as the face of your group. So. Fla. has a lot of decent musicians, one of which is not her. Or maybe its a him, can't really tell. Good luck !