How Do You Market Yourself when You're Older (Mid 60's and Up) ?

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you haven't already, set up a music page on FB. Post clips of you playing with bands, that sound and look great. For that matter, if the bands are good and working steadily, create band pages. Create a YT presence as well. Buy a Zoom Q4N or Q8 and get comfortable with video editing. Update your pages maybe every 3 weeks or so. Focus on making whatever band you're in sound great - the musicians who are likely to hire you are more concerned with how well you play musically than with your solo chops.

Second, hit all the relevant open mics in your area. Not every week, maybe once or twice a month. You want be be visible but not come across as chronically unemployable or desperate.

If some of the music includes soloing, make sure it's musical - playing over the form/changes, or in clear trades. No one really cares how fast you can play - it's more like how fast do you hear and do you make great musical decisions on the fly.

Be easy to be around and don't wear your dress up flip flops/bib overalls when making the rounds.

Good luck.

EVLdrummer

Reaction score
I'll be 63 this January and for the last five years have been playing 150-175 gigs a year as a PERCUSSIVE ACOUSTIC DUO BAND. I work with 3 wonderful guitarist / vocalists who also sometimes do solo work. We do mainly classic rock and country and all 3 have great set lists that naturally vary from man to man. It's easier to book a duo at a bar / restaurant because we fit on a 5 x 7 ft. carpet, play quiet enough for customers to carry on a conversation without having to shout, and generally charge $250 for a 3 - hour gig, $300 for 4 hours ( I add $50 if the drive is longer than 1 hour each way), and always have a prominent tip basket filled with business cards and candy. I do all the booking and use my P.A. ...and because they play acoustic guitars and I play a Sonor Players set with a 20 inch bass drum, I have it tuned to a B flat with a little bit of boom that fills in the bottom, like a bass guitar. I have 14 gigs booked for December, including a big Christmas party ( I get $600-700 for parties and weddings), and feel very good with the small duo band. I sometimes fill in with a 5-piece traditional country band and a Americana/original duo as well. I worked in my Dad's business all my life, and find it hard to work FOR someone else.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
looks like you're doing all you could do
No friends built up over the years? ( I gig with some I've known 10,20, 30 and 40 years..) or are you in a new location
Wondering the same thing?
Marc - taking a peek at your page, you might want to try shying away from some of the age references if you can... 'Extensive experience playing" as opposed "Over 40 years..." Skip answering "Years playing music:" inquiry. Same at the top - do you have to disclose your age on this site. Can it be "Adult Male" instead?

I don't know - might help...
This!

sptucker

Reaction score
Sort of related, but not really.

At 57, I'm the youngest guy in my current band by several years. We've been saying that once I turn 60 we are changing the band name to
"Silver Alert" :icon_lol:

I don't know what I'm going to do if and when we disband... been playing in bands for 44 years...

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Until last month I've stayed busy in bands since the 1970s. I am now sixty years old and looking to dive back in after the first of the year. (I decided to take a small break.)

I'd like to think that it won't be too hard to find another band, but now you've got me wondering.

JimmyFenno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
CBD Wholesaler for HonestGlobe.com and Elixicure.com

Get your big band chops steady and play in two bands that do mostly charity gigs.

Boom!