How do you NOT lose your drum key?

Targalx

Reaction score
I think I’ve lost at least 30 drum keys, which equates to one per year of my drumming. Perhaps not a bad average? I leave them on the floor/riser/rug on stage, on the rehearsal room rental kit, in the stacks of drum cases backstage, in the rented tour van, at the hotel we’re at for the night, everywhere and anywhere!

For those of you who gig regularly and move your kit from venue to car to jam room to cases to venue, how do you go about not losing a drum key? Oh, and it doesn’t count if it’s a part of your keychain, as I don’t want all that extra weight and bulk hanging around with my car and house keys.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Honestly I think the keychain is the one reliable answer. What else do you HAVE to have on your person in order to get to or leave from a gig? You could put it in your wallet, but will you remember to put it back after using it? Can’t really attach it to your phone or glasses.

Maybe use a hypoallergenic chain to attach the key to a body piercing?

Johnny K

Reaction score
I think I’ve lost at least 30 drum keys, which equates to one per year of my drumming. Perhaps not a bad average? I leave them on the floor/riser/rug on stage, on the rehearsal room rental kit, in the stacks of drum cases backstage, in the rented tour van, at the hotel we’re at for the night, everywhere and anywhere!

For those of you who gig regularly and move your kit from venue to car to jam room to cases to venue, how do you go about not losing a drum key? Oh, and it doesn’t count if it’s a part of your keychain, as I don’t want all that extra weight and bulk hanging around with my car and house keys.
I treat them like I treat guitar picks. Expendable. I buy them as often as I buy guitar picks. Grab a couple when i go to a music store. I like Dunlop Primtone picks and they are about the same price as a Gibralter drum key 2 pack. 3 bucks.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mine is attached to my key chain, so if I lose it then, I won't be driving home either.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I always have a drum-key in my left front pocket. Always. I even carried one on my cross-country bicycle trip last summer. I joked about it in my blog (which you can read here, if you're curious). It's been that way for decades. The last key -- a Yamaha -- literally lasted ten years before it broke. As I type, there's a Ludwig key in my left front pocket. Always.

I never leave the house without it. Wallet, check; Keys, check; Phone, check; Drum-key, check. Strangely, I'm not otherwise terribly OCD. I feel weird if I don't have my drum-key. My wife teases me about it.

On top of that, I have keys squirreled away practically everywhere. There's at least one in the pocket of my stick-bag, and in the little gym-bag I carry for accessories (shakers and such). I also have at least two somewhere in my car. They're everywhere. But I never have to use any of them, because...

I ALWAYS HAVE A DRUM-KEY IN MY LEFT FRONT POCKET!

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I use a small microphone holder, sounds weird I know, but I put keys, felts, extra beater and it zips right up, so nothing falls out.
During a gig I keep one right next to my kick pedal.

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I have one of those keychain drum keys attached to my stickbag. Works well and I always know I have it just in case.

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
Hell, I could lose 20 drum keys and STILL have plenty left. lol A drumstick bag I ordered came in today, and guess what? It came with a complimentary drum key. Jesus Christ! Another freakin drum key. lol

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
My bass pedal needs a drum key to attach it to the hoop. It's incredibly stupid, but it's reminded me to never be without a key.

One on my keychain, one in my stick bag, and one in my pants pocket, always.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
"How? Take only 3 to a gig. Two in your stick bag- velcro-pocket that you never ever touch and 1 in your pants pocket."

Use the 1 in your pants pocket.
And leave the other 10-17 ones at home."

Last edited:

manoeuver

Reaction score
I keep one on a lanyard, it lives in the stick bag. goes round the neck when I'm setting up and back in the stick bag once I'm done. Hard to lose, and the bright lanyard is the reminder to put it back where it goes so I don't look like an idiot while I'm playing.

There's a spare in the stick bag and one that lives in the clip on the fussmaschine.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Indeed, I have my drum key with my car keys, attached to a caribener (sp.) attached to my belt loop. It's rare that I actually use it though during gigs, besides set up and tear down.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"How? Only take 3 to a gig. Two in your stick bag- velcro-pocket that you never ever touch and 1 in your pants pocket."

Use the 1 in your pants pocket.
Leave the other 10-17 ones at home."
Agreed. One in my stick bag (never gets use), one in my cymbal bag (never seen the light of day), favorite one in my pocket for gig day.

Last edited:

REF

Reaction score
Pockets. Key clips that attach to stands. Lanyards, string, elastic bands, whatever that hang from lug screws, wing screws, tilters, etc. Catch-all tray/bowl with other necessary stuff in it, that attaches to a stand somehow or sits on something, or on the floor. Mostly, my pocket. Always one in my pocket in case I misplace the one I place on a snare lug screw. And I'd still have others around just in case. And like others mention, you just have lots of them.