How Do You Not Trance Out While Drumming?

Appleseed

Reaction score
Sometime at practice we play one song for 15-30 minutes. At about minute 6 I go in and out of trance. When I come back into my body, sometimes it messes me up and I turn it into a fill or a roll untill I can pick the groove back up. Occasionally it's noticable. I haven't played many shows but it seems to be less of a problem in public which is relieving! I'd love to hear some advice (and stories!) from anyone else who has experienced something like this. Thanks!

Attachments

pwc1141

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't trance out but I do sometime forget to breath :) On very long tunes on my jazz gigs I tend to sing along in my head and that stops me from both losing the form and drifting off into my own head space. Another thing that is useful at any time is listen. listen, and listen to others and what they are playing.

Appleseed

Reaction score
I don't trance out but I do sometime forget to breath :) On very long tunes on my jazz gigs I tend to sing along in my head and that stops me from both losing the form and drifting off into my own head space. Another thing that is useful at any time is listen. listen, and listen to others and what they are playing.
Hmmm...it can't be only me who experiences this... Right? Singing along is a good idea. A little more challenging when were jamming / coming up with new material. I also tend to hear vocals over our music while No one is singing. So that is usually what I end up singing myself if I do so.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Staying in the moment can be difficult when the tune is one I know well, but that’s the goal, “be there” and don’t space on the nice looking lady in the tight pants

Appleseed

Reaction score
Staying in the moment can be difficult when the tune is one I know well, but that’s the goal, “be there” and don’t space on the nice looking lady in the tight pants
Hahaha too funny. No this is different. It feels euphoric. I don't have any thoughts during a trance and it's almost like I black out but have been drumming for long enough that I guess my body goes on auto pilot and keeps the beat...that is untill I come to. It always happens when my bandmates all sync up perfectly and *really* tune in with each other.

Appleseed

Reaction score
Am I the only one who experiences a massive shamanistic effect from drumming? There must be someone else out there... Perhaps you all have had proper enough training to where your brain keeps it technical. I suppose that may be my answer - to keep it technical. I've been told I have good timing but the funny thing is, counting screws me up. Silly, right? I've had next to no training at all and have always played by feel. I'm trying very hard to change that. Counting out loud and not in my head helps.

pwc1141

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is a difference between being in a "zone" where everything is feeling and sounding great and you find yourself smiling and everything is right in the world and a point where you have drifted into yourself and you have turned off outside influences. The latter is to be avoided with whatever mental tricks you can find. Not sure training has anything to do with it but being physically fit and getting enough sleep etc. should be enough to stay focussed.

Appleseed

Reaction score
...and a point where you have drifted into yourself and you have turned off outside influences.
More like drifting out of myself. Not sure where to... It feels ... Floaty.

Oh, sleep. Yeah, that's good stuff right there! Exercise as well. Been working on both things as best I can. Also, you mentioned breathing earlier which is another good reminder. Thanks!

Joe61

Reaction score
I don't know if it is a trance or just daydreaming, but I have blown through a few changes more than once only to receive stink-eye from my band mates.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure trancing out would be a good idea for me..I sing a lot, songs have breaks, crescendos, comping parts, lead breaks,,etc..I pretty much have to watch and listen the whole night..
I save that trancing stuff for when the wife starts talking to me...

Burps

Reaction score
Trancing out used to be a problem for me. I play mostly in church. What helped me may not be the solution for you, since we never play a song for long periods of time. What helped me was to have the music sheet(s) of the song right there to follow. Not only does it help me not to zone out, but I see my personal notes on there too. I used to play without the music sheets and just play by memory, which often caused me to float away.

Last edited:

Latest posts