How Do You Not Trance Out While Drumming?

Appleseed

Reaction score
I am impressed by the serious and thoughtful responses to the original question etc. from members of this forum. Some forums would have just been cruel and full of unfunny jokes. Well done guys !!
It's certainly much appreciated. I'd hope to learn something's from you all instead of being made fun of for not already knowing. I love to study. I have been looking things up for years but haven't come to any real answers in the way I've been getting help here just within the last few days. Thank you, all for imparting your knowledge!

owr

Reaction score
Like some others have said, I don’t necessarily see this as a bad thing, and strive for it myself in some places. Usually an extended jam like this means someone is soloing, a lot... maybe not many changes going on in the material? If this is the case, try and focus on the soloist, listen to them and figure out how to support what they’re doing. If they’re just noodling a long with nothing really to say, get under them and light it up a bit, push them along and force them to focus and move forward.

Sometimes it’s just been a long day and the brain needs a break. Not always great for the music, but good for the soul.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
She's a deep source of inspiration for me .... Evelyn Glennie .

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I fell asleep on an acoustic gig playing djembe one night a while back. It was the end of a busy weekend and it was during a mellow tune. I dozed for about 5-10 seconds but kept playing, and nobody knew.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
- If you want to make a career out of this, you would do well to get yourself a good teacher - for drums - and start piano or guitar lessons as well. The reason for this is because grasping the music as a whole will better enable your drumming to complement it, in any idiom. It doesn't matter how well we play the instrument if we don't play the music well.

I heard somewhere that ... " perfection is the enemy of excellence "

There are musicians out there who want to codify and transcribe moments of brilliance and somehow it usually loses its luster .

Glen Gould , an individual who was master of his own universe , the tallest tree in a forest he was unable to see ... or did he ?

Taking that giant step outside of my comfort zone is sometimes the only thing left to do , in music and areas outside of music . Whatever I do on a daily basis, the way I engage with others , how well I'm open and aware of the people around me , all these things will find their way into my performance behind the drums and so they should .

Do I digress , interrupt , wander .... yup. Am I actively engaged in seeing what can be done about it ? heheheh , obviously not today .

Has this been a problem in band situations ? - oh yeah,tell me about it , but some of the better players around town have told me I'm their favourite drummer . I take comfort in that .

No big deal , Mr Appleseed , that can change at any moment as long as I occasionally put my ear to the ground, so to speak .

Welcome to DFO , BTW ( by the way )

Last edited:

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is all very interesting to me, I have experienced a trancing out effect but usually only when I'm on my electric practice kit and just getting right onto what I'm doing, - to get this I have to be feeling nice and relaxed and stimulated at the same time, I got this book a while ago of eBay and though I haven't really got down to a serious reading/ study of it I thought it might be worth a look to the poster of this thread or anyone else. It has a lot of practical advise as well.

Attachments

Appleseed

Reaction score
I heard somewhere that ... " perfection is the enemy of excellence "

There are musicians out there who want to codify and transcribe moments of brilliance and somehow it usually loses its luster .

Glen Gould , an individual who was master of his own universe , the tallest tree in a forest he was unable to see ... or did he ?

Taking that giant step outside of my comfort zone is sometimes the only thing left to do , in music and areas outside of music . Whatever I do on a daily basis, the way I engage with others , how well I'm open and aware of the people around me , all these things will find their way into my performance behind the drums and so they should .

Do I digress , interrupt , wander .... yup. Am I actively engaged in seeing what can be done about it ? heheheh , obviously not today .

Has this been a problem in band situations ? - oh yeah,tell me about it , but some of the better players around town have told me I'm their favourite drummer . I take comfort in that .

No big deal , Mr Appleseed , that can change at any moment as long as I occasionally put my ear to the ground, so to speak .

Welcome to DFO , BTW ( by the way )
Thank you for sharing your personal experience and thank you for the welcome! It's been great!

Reaction score
Trance is a rather undesirable state, and its true meaning is simply a lack of focus. A quick Google dictionary search turns up the following synonyms:
"daze, stupor, haze, hypnotic state, half-conscious state, dream, daydream, reverie, brown study, suspended animation;
dwam"

The ability to acquire and maintain focus is a problem which, in my opinion, can be trained and improved but it takes effort.

sticks61

Reaction score
I had the very same problem when I was playing clubs in a top 40 band. We’d play the same song for ever it seemed like. After a while I’d “go away” for a bit, then kind of “come to” after a while and not know where we were in the song. That would cause a lot of stress... “is this the ending? Is this the break down coming up?” I’d say to myself. Then I’d try to concentrate on not spacing out, which would lead to me concentrating on me concentrating not to space out... etc, etc... then I’d “come to” again, and so on, and so on... the idea of singing alone in your head is a good one, wish I’d thought of it back in the day

• Haha
Reactions: Hop

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hmmn... Is "trancing out" like what happens when you get into the video over the bar (even without hearing what's being said) and zone into the whole TV thing? This happens all the time, and then I realize that I'm playing my drums on automatic pilot! Sometimes I come back into the song with the singer or guitarist looking at me with a huge sh!teating grin...

Latest posts