How do you practice low-volume rim shots?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the angle of the stick with such a low stick height kind of necessitates using more arm to push/drop down. Kind of hard to explain, but say you're playing a shuffle, and you're playing that skip beat leading onto the backbeat. The wrist comes up to get the ghost, and the palm comes down to make the rim shot. That's a rough explanation of how I do it anyway.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sticks low and almost parallel with head so that the difference between a normal stroke and a rim shot is a small arm motion. That's how I do (not always successfully...).

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think the angle of the stick with such a low stick height kind of necessitates using more arm to push/drop down. Kind of hard to explain, but say you're playing a shuffle, and you're playing that skip beat leading onto the backbeat. The wrist comes up to get the ghost, and the palm comes down to make the rim shot. That's a rough explanation of how I do it anyway.
Makes sense. As ThomasL mentions
the difference between a normal stroke and a rim shot is a small arm motion.
I'd say it can be a very small difference in height; you bring the arm down just a little to make the stick touch the rim as well.
What you might mean is this small drop of the arm is already the "stroke", no extra whip of the stick?

marc3k

Reaction score
Great answers!

I'm doing it pretty much as Tornado and Thomas explain. I think I just need to practice more and really focus on what I'm trying to do with my left hand.

Also I noticed that I change the position of my left hand quite a bit when I don't pay attention after a fill, and then it changes the point where I try to hit the rim.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's how I do it. Could probably do it with a smaller motion if I thought about it, but I never think about it.

Yup the top of the leg touch works for me too.

But the one thing that accelerates learning is to do some gigs where you have no choice but to play quietly! You learn fast when you see grandma look up from her chicken with the evil eye.

Also, not all snares are great at low volume gigs. I had a craviotto that just refused to be quiet. And some muffling helps too. I always have a ring made from an old head flapping around on my snare.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
When I play low-volume rim shots, I lay one stick across the head, like playing a rim click, then hit the stick in the middle with the other one. Works every time.