How do you promote your band ?

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Our singer does the same, we also keep fliers up at the venue.
Doesn't do much. I keep begging him to put half that time in to practicing or charting songs.
Doesn't do much is probably an overstatement, doesn't help at all is probably more accurate. The fliers help a little as most of our audience are regulars at the venue.

MrYikes

Reaction score
This is probably the most important thread we've had here. Anyone who doesn't take this seriously is shooting themselves in the head. I go to my local fb sites and talk about the fun we have and the excitement of the crowd, but I would really like to learn others things to do.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We also use fb and direct email, as well as keep a webpage.
I agree with Yikes -- I'm interested to learn from others.
But, I have the feeling Gurtu is right................

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I must confess that promos we have done had little direct responses, however, when we called at a venue in person, they seems to have seen our promos thus it was easier to talk. We also make sure to post pics of any gig and the diners and talk about what a great venue it was in terms of food, service, ambience, location etc. and this seems to lead to return gigs at the venue concerned. I live in a small town where jazz is rare and competes with cheap singing duos with backing tracks but offering a different vibe, we fill a gap and do so uniquely. Having quite a few this town specific FB pages is a plus that we would be silly to ignore.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
FB promo on events pages, the musician pages of the band members and in relevant pages -local music pages, the venue's page, my You Tube Page. I also try to post good sounding an looking video from past gigs as part of these efforts, so it's apparent that we're not just blowing smoke. Couple that with a large diet of original tunes and rehearsing them - folks know they'll get something different and it'll be of a certain standard.

It's not enough just to be great at what you do - it takes time and exposure to build good word of mouth. What I described above helps the process and puts new faces in the places.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Facebook, You Tube, Instagram. They work and bring people. Fliers are nice to have at the club, but unless you have regulars there, no one will see them.

Dan

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What works best for us is putting up a poster at the venue.
I do all the promos for one venue and owner puts up all of those in poster form as a calendar of events ... that works for him. We tend to do promos for each gig regardless of venue (with owner's permission) and they appreciate that addition to any of their own promos for the event.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"Does anyone do "Ladies Night" anymore?" or did that get too confusing....

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Not like the old days of put fliers up in high traffic areas. We have tried that too. Fifty fliers over an area radius 7 miles, no response at all.
It really does seem to be word of mouth only, but then it is important that there is some place or virtual place where people can check your schedule.

One thing that did bring in a few new faces was having practice at the park.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use Facebook; I have a regular word file I send to FB Friends sometimes Public. It's rather wordy so I need to work on that. Plus I need to get with someone close by to teach me more about Facebook.

sherm

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Facebook mainly. Instagram occasionally but we have many more people following our Facebook page. As much as Facebook has become a sh#%show with personal pages, it’s very useful for promoting my band. If I could delete my personal Facebook pages and keep my band page, I would...

I create events on our Facebook page and add the venues as “co-hosts” so they share our events on their Facebook page. This allows people that don’t follow our band page to see the events. And you need to engage people like any other social media. When we were playing every week, I’d post a few times leading up to that week’s gig to remind people and engage with them. It works.

Before the lockdown, I’d send a weekly email blast to our email list of about 200 people with upcoming gigs.