how do you remove those dark spots on used cymbals?

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Any solid advice? i have tried Paiste cymbal cleaner, Groove Juice, and am now doing a Dawn soak...it's 22" Sabian AA Medium ride in brilliant finish. I have to admit, at this point it's cleaning up real nice but i want to try to get the heavier spots off if possible. What have you got?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Any solid advice? i have tried Paiste cymbal cleaner, Groove Juice, and am now doing a Dawn soak...it's 22" Sabian AA Medium ride in brilliant finish. I have to admit, at this point it's cleaning up real nice but i want to try to get the heavier spots off if possible. What have you got?
Alot of people don't like it but I use Groove juice (I know you mentioned that you tried it!). This is how I do it: I spray it on and let it sit a bit then I get a damp cloth and work out the dark spots then rinse the cymbal and dry it. I then use regular turtle wax to polish them and they come out great. I've been able to get rid of the darkest spots using that method.
Good luck!

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I've heard that Barkeeper's Friend is really good at deep cleaning.

Edited to add: apparently it's the liquid version as it's less abrasive. I've never clean my cymbals so I wouldn't know, just what I've heard.

Last edited:

m_anderson

Reaction score
I've heard that Barkeeper's Friend is really good at deep cleaning.
That's a pretty abrasive powder. If I were using an abrasive, I would use something lighter like Flitz metal, plastic and fiberglass polish.

felis

Reaction score
Anything strong enough to remove real dark stained spots will also remove labels.
If you don't care about that, or if they're already gone, then you're OK.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Barkeepers Friend, powder version, is just fine. Think about it...they are cymbal, not flower petals. They are made to be hit, struck, and crashed on a daily basis and a little abrasive cleaner every now and then, will not affect them at all!

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use barkeepers friend on Zildjians and Sabians but wouldn't use it on brilliant finishes, A Customs or Paistes.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have some barkeepers friend (liquid version) and never thought about using it for cymbals. I use it to polish my ceramic stovetop. I'm gonna try it out next time when I clean my cymbals.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been using Bar Keeper's Friend in the powdered version for well over twenty years, but I don't own any brilliant finish cymbals. I did try it once on a badly battered A Custom and it cleaned it perfectly but left behind a lot of micro-scratches which came out only by buffing. That's too much work.

I've never used the liquid version, so I don't know if it has the abrasives in it, or not.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dark spots? I don't bother with those as a rule....green, black, or brown. If you do, you probably have to clean the entire cymbal along with that spot, or it will look just as bad with a brilliant spot in the middle of a toned cymbal. Been there, done that. A lot of those spots will leave shadows behind once cleaned. To get the shadow out you'd probably have to high speed wire brush to remove some surface metal. Not for me.

I leave single green and black spots alone now. Groove Juice is no panacea for spotting because it runs everywhere else. It's very hard to keep it on one spot. And when it runs down your cymbal (including the back side if you aren't real careful) you have a series a bright golden lines through all that old patina....looks worse than the orig spotting. And then you have to clean the entire cymbal with GJ to make it uniform again.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Groove Juice is no panacea for spotting because it runs everywhere else. It's very hard to keep it on one spot. And when it runs down your cymbal (including the back side if you aren't real careful) you have a series a bright golden lines through all that old patina....looks worse than the orig spotting. And then you have to clean the entire cymbal with GJ to make it uniform again.
When I use Groove juice I spray it straight on to a rag and not directly on the cymbal so it doesn't run. I very carefully wipe it on the entire cymbal (except the logos) and it's worked out just fine. As long as you are careful you won't end up ruining logos or end up with those ugly streaks.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been using Bar Keepers Friend in the powder form for several years, including on my brilliant finish K Custom ride cymbal. Hard scrubbing can indeed scratch the cymbal, but I use it with a wet terry washcloth and have had no problems. Great stuff. I can polish my gigging cymbals, 22/22/18/16/14/14/14/10, in 30 minutes. And my stainless steel sink winds up clean, too.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Dark spots are usually from drops of water or some other liquid that got spilled on the cymbal.

Barkeeper's Friend powder is magic for cleaning cymbals. It's slightly abrasive, and it contains oxalic acid, which will remove dark spots and everything else, including ink logos. Fine with me; I hate logos.

Just use a soft cotton cloth, wipe in the direction of the grooves, and rinse that sucker big time for a full five minutes to get every trace of the cleaner off.

I clean my cymbals about every 3-4 years. I've used Barkeeper's Friend every time. It shines them like new, with absolutely no damage to the cymbals--old pre-split Istanbul, Bosphorous, Zildjian, and Byzance. Just remember to rinse, rinse, rinse.

Last edited:

felis

Reaction score
When I use Groove juice I spray it straight on to a rag and not directly on the cymbal so it doesn't run. I very carefully wipe it on the entire cymbal (except the logos) and it's worked out just fine. As long as you are careful you won't end up ruining logos or end up with those ugly streaks.
I had streaky trouble with Groove Juice until I used your method.
But one step further is to thoroughly soak a rag with water and then wring it out until it's just real damp.
Then spray the juice onto that and wipe around. It seems to go on more evenly that way.

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
None better on my brilliant Sabians than groove Juice...super easy. But for the spots i mentioned, i think I'll try BKF in the powdered form. Thanks for all the responses.,

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had streaky trouble with Groove Juice until I used your method.
But one step further is to thoroughly soak a rag with water and then wring it out until it's just real damp.
Then spray the juice onto that and wipe around. It seems to go on more evenly that way.
Cool! I'll try that as well. Groove juice really works but I think all the negatives I read is because people use it incorrectly. They just spray it and think that it's all good but it's really strong stuff that can damage if not used with care.