How does this happen to a Dynasonic snare drum?

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Went to see this drum today as part of a kit and was amazed when I saw it. Tension was cranked as well which made me think the shell could have taken a whack or was under great strain too.

So what caused this? Anyone seen this before?

It was also odd that nearly every lug on all the toms had glue residue from old tape marks. Why was that done?
best 1.jpg

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can buy the polka if they were dancing on top of the inverted snare drum.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would hazard a guess that the owner tried to replace the original snare wires with something other than those compatible with Dynasonic snare drums. When they didn't work to his satisfaction he kept cranking up the tension and putting undue stress on the frame to the point where it collapsed.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would hazard a guess that the owner tried to replace the original snare wires with something other than those compatible with Dynasonic snare drums. When they didn't work to his satisfaction he kept cranking up the tension and putting undue stress on the frame to the point where it collapsed.
I just can't imagine that any type of "undue stress" from the strainer could cause a Dyna frame to bend like this. Honestly, I've never seen a bent frame in my decades of owning these wonderful snare drums. I always thought that the frames would break before they would deform like this!

-Mark

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The as found condition of this abused drum was with the top head tuned as tight as a marching drum. Paper towels and duct tape all over the top head. And of course the the strainer tensioned out to the max. It sounded like a kid's cap gun. What a sad fate for such a well-respected model.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Impact would cause damage but it would dent and bounce away. This damage appears to be from compression - something heavy plus sustained force.

The tape schmutz is from muffling mess, probably tape glue, particularly common on bottom-row lugs that survived the 70s.

Latest posts