how does your drum tuning differ from your top five drummers?

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My tunings are pretty generic - high vs. low, coated heads vs. clear, etc. Even if I get things dialed in "just so" at home, the drums are going to sound different on the gig, in a different space, in the context of the band...and even if I could cop Manu Katche's drum sound (to name one), I'm not going to sound like Manu Katche when I play.

Ditto for cymbal choices.

My jazz snare drum sound kind of sounds like Peter Erskine's to me, but that's just coincidence. I'm sure that if I played my drum for ten different drummers, and ask them if it reminded them of a well-known drummer's sound, I'd get ten different names in response.

Maggot

Reaction score
My top five drummers don't have the boingy, descending, phase-cancellation, out-of-tune sound.

homeby5

DFO Star
Reaction score
My top five drummers don't have the boingy, descending, phase-cancellation, out-of-tune sound.
Now thats great! I was just going to make the same reaction abut my favourite drummers drums sounded pleasing to the ears. Completely different than mine :icon_smile:

SteveB

DFO Star
Reaction score
Each of my drumsets are tuned differently and for different purposes. The BIG session kit is tuned very low. The other session drums are a little less so, but they are different sized drums as well. 22, 12, 15, 18--- and ----24, 13, 16, 18. So those kits sound a little different. My set that is 18, 12, 14 that is set up for jazz and swing gigs is tuned much differently. Tighter and with different heads. It is all in the "right tool for the job" category.

Hey Tommy! How do you like that 12.15.18 combination? I've been wanting to add an 18 to my Tempus kit for some time (a true 18x18 hugging the floor..I don't think Paul could match this finish, because it was toward the beginning of fancy finishes. The 15 is a great size...the perfect 14. :)