How far will you go to buy a matching snare for your kit?

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't care at all. I do kinda like the brands to match but it's a very low priority. My one big exception is if the matching snare drum is a particularly excellent model that I'd want anyway. The reputation of the Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple matching snare was so good among people I know that I had to at least try it. And it IS great, and I think it's kinda cool that it matches finish. But if a gig were to call for a different snare, that wouldn't bother me in the least to switch it out. I've owned a few matching snares that came with kits-- some I liked, some I didn't. Some I sold right away even though they were somewhat unusual, like a matching tangerine sparkle 10+6 that came with a Collectors bop kit. Those snares don't work for me, so I loved it on pretty quickly.

Yamaha AHM Bop Kit.JPG

Last edited:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I think the snare drum is the only drum on the set that is like an entity unto itself. At the moment, I have 2 kits - the '59 Slingerland have a matching snare. My modern kit is a Noble & Cooley CD Maples in midnight sparkle finish, and a couple of years ago I wanted to have a matching snare made. After talking with Nick Jones at N&C, I decided to go with a contrasting color for the snare. So, technically, the snare was made to match the kit tonally, but the finish is different - so there's that. I have a few other snare drums, both wood and metal - all different finishes. So I suppose it's not important to me to absolutely have a matching finish on the snare.

Myk

Reaction score
If you want it to complete your kit, close date and matches, buy it. Maybe find something to sell to offset your cost (and justify it in your mind), and if you may regret not getting it. Sometimes you need to pay a little more, your drums are a passion,great hobby.

I bought a 69 Ludwig bdp kit a while ago and my snare was a red sparkle 58 Ludwig classic, didn't bother me too much but then a 56 WFL classic bdp showed up on cl and I jumped at it and sold the red

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had a matching snare on 2 kits and while they were pretty, I didn't love the sound. I like metal snares better but wouldn't mind a nice wood snare. If I were to buy a wood snare, I'd probably get one because of the sound and not because of the matching look.

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am the exact opposite, I do not like my snare to match. The snare is it’s own thing and can not be chosen because it happens to be part of a kit. We spend our lives trying snares out to find the ones they speak to us, those are the ones I play.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a matching set for my Blaemire, same finish and shell material. But for my Ludwig, I was cool with a Black Beauty, I try to at least match brands. If I’m feeling a certain drum, I’ll bring that instead.

Myk

Reaction score
I have done the reverse - bought or modifed kits to match my snare drum ........the first being to have dark wood hoops on a Maple kit to match a dark wood snare with same hoops and the second to have a dark Mahogany kit with maple hoops to match my Brady with Maple hoops .......
. View attachment 445406 View attachment 445407
Cool kits, any issues with the calftone heads delaminating?

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
^^ no issues with Calftone heads yet. It's been a few months but then I gig rarely these days .......

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I go out of my way to not have a matching snare.
To me its like clothes, you need some contrast and complements on your kit.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would go from my garage to the back of my car.

If I have something that matches, great. I'm more concerned with the sound. What's right for the gig? The soundman doesn't care if the colors don't match. I have yet to encounter a bride's mother or bandleader who does either.

If it's to be outdoors, I'll probably bring a fiberglass, CF, or metal kit and snare. If it's near the ocean, the metal kit stays home.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I went 35 yrs w/o a matching snare. Decided in 2018 I "needed" one for my Cherry Wine Tama's. After 2 attempts to fill that slot, I didn't really like either drum. They were sold. I'm still on the original metal Tama Mastercraft snare. I can always toss in a Supra or Acro in there if I need variability.

My '62 Slingerland silver sparkle is the only kit I currently have a with a matching snare....and that Hollywood Ace really barks....similar to a supra. Lucked out there as it came with it. But my '66 Slingerland Champagne Sparkle came with a supra on day 1. I've been keeping my eye out for a matching snare.....at a reasonable price and in unmolested condition. Been a year so far and no "keeper." I found a 1958 snare that was rewrapped in champagne but it sounded quite dullish. It was sold. I continue to look. If it takes years or never happens, so be it.

marc3k

Reaction score
Until recently I only had 1 kit (60's Ludwig Black Oyster) and I used a supraphonic with it. I never thought about buying a new snare until I saw that the JazzFest snare was reissued - so I bought one matching my kit. The JazzFest snare was very expensive, and I have to admit, I bought it mainly because it would "complete" my kit. However, I was also curious to have a wood snare. But I think I did spend more than the usual price :)

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Whenever this question comes up, I have to distinguish whether the interest is merely in matching the finishes, or the matching of the construction.

I believe that most high end, classic kits were intended to include a snare drum that was specifically designed to match the voice of the rest of the kit, thereby bringing a full expression of the “family of sounds”, reinforcing the idea of the kit being one single instrument.

Certainly, that’s not to exclude other snare drums from being brought into the mix as well. But I would at least insist on the one that matches.
Exactly my thinking. A Sakae Trilogy set with a 500lb metal snare doesn't feel in harmony.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Years ago I had a matching Piano Black Tama Artwood snare with my Superstar kit. That was just awesome all-around. In the mid-2000s I picked up a Tama Starclassic G Maple snare in a sunburst finish that is not the same color as my drum kits, but my Pearl kit is Black Mist, kind of a neutral color, so I don't think they clash and if anything the snare kind of pops. My local GC had a Tama Starclassic kit in that exact finish and hardware. I was considering getting it. But to me, thin shell maple kits on that level all have a very similar characteristic "maple" sound. I'd be spending quite a bit for what is essentially a finish swap and a sonic push.

These days of the snares I'm considering, only one of them is wood and I'd get it in a natural maple finish.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
My 1975 kit originally came with a matching snare. White marine pearl wrap. I recently purchased a used steel snare and liked the fact that it did NOT match.