How far will you go to buy a matching snare for your kit?

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I have done the reverse - bought or modifed kits to match my snare drum ........the first being to have dark wood hoops on a Maple kit to match a dark wood snare with same hoops and the second to have a dark Mahogany kit with maple hoops to match my Brady with Maple hoops .......
. View attachment 445406 View attachment 445407
Both are nice but the dark mahogany is absolutely gorgeous!

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I go out of my way to not have a matching snare.
To me its like clothes, you need some contrast and complements on your kit.
Almost in the same boat as I don’t like the look of a kit with a matching snare. To my eyes it’s a bit off somehow.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I have a matching (8x14 Hemp) snare for my Canary Yellow Tempus kit but I bought the snare many years after the kit - but even if I didn't have a Canary Yellow Tempus kit, the snare I had made would've been Canary Yellow anyway because it just had to be Canary Yellow -

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I may be crazy, but I only care about how a drum/drumset sounds. Not much about how it looks.
Well there’s the grand cosmic joke - only drummers are aware they even sound different, everybody else just notices how it looks, if they notice it at all.

Browny

Reaction score
Not obsessing, but I’m keeping an eye out.

Also keeping in mind that vintage gear often goes for a higher price than they do in the states, particularly less common items.

I’m yet to see a 40s Radio King aluminium badge cloud badge snare in WMP with nickel cigar lugs for sale around here... and there’s a good chance I might not be able to justify the asking price anyway.

Recently I saw a mid 50s 14.5.5 in WMP but this was probably a month after I’d picked up my 6.5 Acro so didn’t want to drop $800+ on another drum.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
For me it was the other way around, it became necessary to buy a matching kit for my snare.

Personally, I couldn't give a rats about matchy matchy. Pfffffftt, who cares. There's bigger fish to fry, like my drumming, any improvement here will significantly outstrip any matchy matchy.

But regardless, ages ago, early DCI days... I bought a Tempus fibreglass 14x6.5 snare in Silver Sparkle. It was/is still awesome, so I added the matching kit, initially a 22 kick and 12, 16 toms then added later a 10 tom.

I've played that kit with other snares, and it was fine, but I do like them all together, as they work well and sort of fit like a family. They sound like each other enough to mesh into one. I like.

Matching Kit.jpg

Reactions: JDA

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Well, I prefer matching, and have been trying to find a red sparkle piccolo snare to match my kit, but I'm beginning to think they don't exist. I'm kind of surprised given how common red sparkle is. So I will probably start looking at steel piccolo's. Steel goes with anything and there are plenty of good choices out there.

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
When I ordered my latest Tama kit, it was easy to throw a matching snare drum on the order... but I like to change my snare drum out all the time, and it doesn't need to match. If I picked up a shell pack that didn't have a matching snare drum, it wouldn't bother me in the least. I'm glad I got this matching snare, since Tama is phasing out bubinga little by little.

bs1465ncpbadge1asmall.jpg
bs1465ncp3asmall.jpg
alldrumssetup2.jpg

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
One of the first lessons I learned about the quality of drums was very early, after my first year playing drum(s): I had a rent-to-own Slingerland 8 lug snare drum kit. It was black diamond pearl color. Jonesing for a drum set, we traded it in for a brand new blue sparkle Apollo drum set, with a matching snare. It didn't take long for me to realize that letting go of that Slingy snare was a mistake. I even mentioned it to the manager at that music store. He asked me, "do you want that snare drum? We still have it. You could keep it." I just sorta shrugged and said, "No, that's ok.. " One of the many things my current self would've said to my young self if I could go back would possibly be to take him up on that offer.

That Slingy snare would not have matched the Apollo kit (which by the way I played the hell out of, and loved every minute of it). But it sounded great. So, go for sound first, then looks second. Nobody cares if the snare drum matches the rest of the kit. The snare drum is usually the most important drum, right? Not the other way around.

So to address your distinct situation, maybe offer what you think is fair for the drum, even explain to the seller why you want to pay what you think is fair, but in my mind a person goes for the SOUND first. All that being said, if you find a set with matching snare or if a matching snare finds you, all the merrier.

It's a decorative issue to a musical situation.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It never mattered to me if I had a matching snare. However, when I tripped over a mint condition Classic Maple snare on Reverb in SBP for a great price I grabbed it.

20191020_065144.jpg

Howstamychi

Reaction score
How dare you disparage the Ceremonial Garments of the great nation of Canadia. My ancestors demand vengeance, sorry.
Geddy Lee is my idol and poses in many a Rush photo in a Canadian Tuxedo. Canadians are the greatest people I know and I’d wear a denim leisure suit everyday if I lived there ;)

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
It recently dawned on me that I have NEVER had a kit with a matching snare (and I've owned MANY kits in my life). It also recently dawned on me that I would really like to get a matching snare for my one of my kits, for the first time ever. I saw one for sale online, and thought about buying it, but the price was just out of a reasonable range to me, even though it would be the absolute perfect match to my kit. (I believe, based on its serial number, that it might've even been built in the same year!)

• So, what about you? Are you obsessive about owning matching snares for your kits?
  • If so, are you willing to spend more than the usual price to get one?
  • Will you search high and low to eventually find one?
  • Why is a matching snare so important to you? (And are you particular about finding a matching year, too?)
  • In what way(s) does it complete your kit(s)?
I bought a 66 Ludwig Festival for my Ringo tribute kit, but that’s it. I love metal snares and the sound is more important than matching to me.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Of my 13 kits only 3 of them don’t have matching snare drums. Yes I’m one of those that always wants the matching snare. I’ve overpaid a few times to get a matching snare but nothing crazy.

That said I rarely play the matching snare on gigs. I usually use a 1960 Ludwig 6.5x14 COB. While the matching snare sits behind me.

Row

Reaction score
I've got a matching snare but it's in a different finish from the rest of the kit so I guess it half matches.

Latest posts