header.nohb.html

how good are gretsch/ludwig style telescoping spurs?

bon viesta

Reaction score
my ludwig bass drum is either going to have 2 sets of heavy duty curved spurs, or 2 sets of gretsch vintage style spurs. will 2 sets of the gretsch spurs hold down a bass drum though? last thing i want is to end up with spurs that don’t even work.

i have a heavy foot by the way, but even with the ludwig folding spurs i’ve really never seen much slippage.

Attachments

• 074682F4-8FBA-4EFC-BFF0-0E22410F33DB.jpeg
    074682F4-8FBA-4EFC-BFF0-0E22410F33DB.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 35

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know others here will say they are fine, but the Gretsch bass I had those spurs would always slide. It was fine if I used a pedal with a solid base because it would hold the drum in place. But if I used a light weight pedal without a solid base (like a DW 6000), the drum would walk away from me.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Between the two I'd go with the curved but neither work nearly as well as the fold down "pearl" style spurs which is just a much better design. The earlier designs were primarily intended to keep bass drums from rolling over, not from moving forward. .

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My '65 Super Classic came with telescoping spurs rather than the more common gull wing spurs from that era. I was skeptical when I received the kit but I've had absolutely no problems with movement. However, I do use a DW 5000 pedal with a solid base plate, which may help to hold it in place. I would also say that I am not a very heavy hitter.

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The E.W. Kent kit I started touring with in 1972 had the same spurs as shown in your photo and the only way I could stop my bass drums from creeping BIG TIME was to drive a pair of 10d nails into the stage in front of each bass drum hoop. The Vistalite kit that replaced the Kents had the Ludwig curved spurs and I still had to drive a nail in front of each spur to keep the bass drums from creeping.

Save yourself a ton of hassle and get the Ludwig folding spurs (same ones as the Pearls, shown in photo below). I've had them on two different kits and they prevent the bass drums from creeping 100%.

IMG_0919.JPG

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Either spur can work. I used a Gretsch set yesterday with the disappearing spurs and it was fine, though that was primarily due to the velcro on the underside of the base plate of my DW pedal. I have several sets with the thinner version of the curved spurs and again they work fine (again, especially with such a pedal). Even the gull wings will work. But the more modern fold down design is just so much better. They keep the bass drum from creeping forward, they'll lift the front of the drum off the floor if that's your thing, and typically they are a set it and forget it type of arrangement that assume the same stance every time you fold them down. Just a superior design. While the others can suffice, the later design excells. If you have a choice that's the best one unless nostalgia or desire for a vintage look compells you otherwise.