How good are modern double pedals?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of offsetting my bass drum a ways to the right, which would put it out of reach of my right foot.
Could I use just the slave portion of a double pedal or a very offset pedal as a main and primary pedal? Or is the lag or another reason not to?

dsop

Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of offsetting my bass drum a ways to the right, which would put it out of reach of my right foot.
Could I use just the slave portion of a double pedal or a very offset pedal as a main and primary pedal? Or is the lag or another reason not to?
I think Abe Laboriel Jr. does that:

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Modern double pedals are amazing. You don't have to get some crazy expensive driveshaft to make the slave pedal operate well. You just need to keep the angles of the u joints as open as possible, and make them equal to each other. When set up this way, I find the slave operates just as smoothly as the master.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I modified my Iron Cobra double pedals about 15 years ago years ago before I saw anybody else do it. Like an upside down "V" with the bass drum right in the middle. I got spare U-joints from McMaster-Carr and hex shape rod. It's the most comfortable double bass setup I've ever played. No mad twisting of your body to get around the kit. Matter of fact Will Calhoun stole my idea! Lol. The only possible problem is it pushes the bass drum out a little bit but not enough to be a problem on risers. I got to get a picture of one of these days. I think everybody should try it at least once if they want to play double bass. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Abe's using a left side 2x pedal. I tried that but that moves your hat over to the left more. I feel the best is having two slaves going to the master in the middle attached to the bass drum.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
- Not if you have a slack free universal such as Axis or Trick make. Or better yet, buy one of their double pedals.
I just got the Trick rod-all the difference in the world!

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I took the approach of offsetting me and not the BD. When I am playing I am facing left. MY OCD will not allow for a bass drum that is not lined up square to the edge of my drum rug.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was thinking of offsetting the bass drum way off to the right. Shouldn't interfere with much of anything over there.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can one buy a righty set-up, double pedal without a right side beater and footboard? Ya know and off-set single pedal?