How important is versatility for you?

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
I recently played concerts with three different big bands in seven days. I also have a weekly jazz gig with a guitar/bass/drums trio, play in a jazz quartet, have a gig booked with the quartet I've been jamming with every week, am in a fairly busy septet that plays very straight ahead jazz and swing, and am rehearsing with a new rock band playing a mix of classic and contemporary rock. Versatility is my middle name.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never really tried to make a living at playing music. Years ago, I was more versatile. I could read music; played Concert Music, Big Band, German Polka and Waltzes, Country Western and Dixie Land. Would have liked playing Jazz but never had the chance to get involved. But now, I'm an old 77-year-old Country & Western drummer and enjoying every minute. I might be able to get through an evening of Big Band but it would be very simplified. Probably be best if I only brought a snare, bass and hi-hat. LOL

sherm

Wolfman

Reaction score
There's another kind of versatility that has always intrigued me, and that's the kind that a player like Jake Hanna had. Jake prided himself on playing the same way in every situation he was in and not altering his playing, regardless of who he was with. This might seem to be the opposite of versatile, yet he was able to make his style work with everything from a trio to a big band, dixieland to bebop. While basically playing the same way, he was able to be a favorite drummer of such diverse musicians as Jimmy McPartland and Roy Hargrove, Bing Crosby and Roberta Gambarini, Bob Haggart and Ray Brown, etc. Of course, he stayed within the boundary of stuff that swung, but within that he could play with anyone and sound good without changing what he did. I always thought that was pretty amazing.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, Wolfman! Tony Allen too right?
Versatility for me is playing our songs louder or softer, with and without mics, with or without bass player and at different tempos on different nights. Playing same songs with triplet eighth or straight sixteenth pickups on different nights and other anomalous vagaries and trying to make it feel like the same old song you guys heard last week.
Plus I'm new at this so I upgrade my beats here and there. Versatility is for everyone but our ranges of it vary with skill sets huh? Great goal to have imho

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve played in pop punk bands, reggae, hip hop, classic rock, rock and country. Righty now doing classic rock and country. At home when I’m practicing on my kit I play everything from gospel, rap and everything in between. I try to stay well rounded to the point of being able to jump in any band. Also spent a lot of time hosting and attending open mic nights so I got to play alot of different styles.