header.nohb.html

How is drum wrap produced?

Josh G.

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any videos or pictures or detailed written explanations of how drum wrap is made? I've always wondered, but I cannot seem to find anything online. Especially curious about the oyster pearl and sparkle finishes. If anyone has the answer I'd be interested to hear.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'Ve read a few articles about this over the years, although a quick google-fu doesn't seem to not lead to anything. Not so modern drummer had a few articles about this, Steve Maxwell's podcast talked a bit about wrap making, and maybe The drum history podcast as well. You could go to Delmar's own site, maybe they explain a bit how they do...

A lot of suff lke most Oysters are clear film with swirls in over a different base color (blue, red, green etc). I know the sparkles are made that way as well, all flakes are silver, only the base color changes. (One exception is the Champagne sparkle, that contains copper flakes, hence the rarity and price difference...)

The Glass glitters replace silver flakes with tiny bits of broken glass, those wraps really reflect light in random paterns, making them especially gorgeous under stage lights...

Great querry. And if somebody more knowledgeable than me wants to chime in and add to the conversation, you're welcome...

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are videos that show how eyeglass frames are made. Drum wrap is the same stuff but sliced into thin sheets rather than carved in frames.

Delmar takes thin slices of Italian acetate and laminates it to PVC backings.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the wrap. Pearl wraps are made in giant blocks, and then those blocks are sliced and laminated to a backing. Sparkle and glass wraps have glitter or crushed glass laminated onto a backing. The color is determined by the color of the film on top. Real champagne sparkle is made like most other sparkles, but instead of sparkle or glass, it uses crushed copper and silver. Satin flame is Rowlux Illusion film, and it is a plastic film with a texture built into it.