How is everyone holding up? What are you working on during this downtime?

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How is everyone getting through this “social distancing” conundrum that we are all facing? What are you doing to keep your chops up as we go through this?

Me?

I’m on the practice pad working rudiments, and was able to get together with about five friends over the weekend to run through a few tunes (We were able to stay at least 6-foot apart from one another) so it felt good to play with a group of people rather than just playing alone at home.

I hope everyone is doing well and that this will soon pass so we can all get out there and start playing again.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Doing good. I was working on mixing my Petty band's performance from January and then creating video's with video from that night. It's been a long process but I've just about finished. I've posted some of those video's here. Now, I'm starting to do some honey do's around the house. Also, I plan to start digging into learning Logic Pro since I've been an Audacity guy for such a long time. Also, going to do some bike riding and some wood shedding... these are weird times for sure. Itching to play out again.

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Couple things...got my TV in the drum room hooked up to my iPad/phone so i can now play YT vids. Huge help for both my bass and drumming needs. Also re-opened my Siros Vaziri "chops and fills" videos along with my "Rudimental Ritual" book by Alan Dawson. Someone has uploaded the Rudimental Ritual on YT and can be played at different tempos. Really good to be able to play along. Cant do it correctly today? Keep at it until it is memorized is what the book says. Downtime can be boring or an advantage to those who are motivated enough.

bonsritmos

Reaction score
for sure , i maintain my practice discipine ....

i went to a studio twice in the last week to film and record this ketu candomble codes in jazz series , and got a lot of raw material . so , now the studio has to hook the audio to the video then my video channal co ordinator has to edit the text in, and all this is isolation. i wont be in the same room or with them as they do the rest of the work

its like im shifting ( not really shifting , its what i do anyway) my emphasis to producing and trying to trust the editors to do work without me.

since gigs are all on hold and there is space in between , we dont even know when this is over , i am trying to cultivate how to be creative , and tie it into my work ( yeah right, gigs were tight before this crisis , this is exactly what i was doing anyway )

to the side commentary by the subconcious , ok , but im doing more of that now and it makes sence

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had to move all my gear back to my place so spent a bunch of time trying to organize everything in the basement. Lotsa practicing, catching up on taxes and other boring admin work, trying to get outside (running/hiking/walking/cycling) when I can. Some Zoom/Skype/FT meetings to try to figure out how we're gonna get through this (for example, my percussion group is currently paying rent for a rehearsal space that we can't use, and even if we could, most of our 2020 income has disappeared, so that's a fun conversation...). Lots of virtual hangouts with friends and family. Gonna start trying to do some home improvement things but also trying to limit trips that I make to the hardware store to things that are only necessary.

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
I'm doing alright, but not having any rehearsals/jams is kind of a drag. I've got a sizable backlog of personal projects to work on--stuff that I've been wanting to do but just haven't had the time. It's nice to be able to dig into those.

I'll say this: I can't wait to play/go to shows when this thing is over. I think bands and audiences are going to be stoked to be there, to be with each other. I expect the first crop of shows to be pretty magical.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
My life hasn't really changed. I'm one of the fortunate ones who's job is still there. After work I stop at my parent's house to make sure they're doing okay, as they're 88 and 94.

With 'em live my brother who's mildly retarded. Fortunately, his job (laborer at a nursery) is still there. So, I'm checking in on him as well.

Not much time nor energy to do much playing.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just trying to stay busy. Cleaning the house, yard work etc. Trying to play a bit everyday just to keep the muscle memory. Can't wait to gig again!

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So far things are normal for me as far as work goes. Certainly miss going out to eat and having a beer at the local brew pub. But I have had a couple jobs cancel so I'm very worried about getting work this summer, hope I can survive financially. Most of all very worried about my already sick mother and my daughter who has lupus disiese. Hope my drum friends are staying healthy and doing what your supposed to be doing, staying at home. Hang in there guys!

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
As I mentioned in a thread I made we still play a little, but only for live streams. We made pretty good money off that, but I don't know how often we can sustain that though.

Home life is mostly the same. I'll set up a drum set if it goes too long without playing with my band. I've been working on making a divided laundry hamper and it's finally finished, after a few setbacks, mostly with the hinges. Now I need to mow the lawn, trim the trees, and finally run electrical to my drum storage, after only 8 years in this house.

IMG_20200331_130205192.jpg IMG_20200331_130307886.jpg IMG_20200331_140748783.jpg

MrYikes

Reaction score
Today I worked on tenor then alto sax, then spent some time on clarinet, then took a big gulp and picked up the oboe (my wife may leave me if I keep doing that), a little on trumpet and trombone and my lips said enough. So I got on the cello until my arm ached, and finished with the violin. I am terrible on all of them and plan to stay that way.

Browny

Reaction score
I picked a DW practice pad kit (missing one pad) maybe a year ago for about $25. That's ended up being one of my best gear purchases ever...

I'm working out of a bungalow in the backyard and I've got the pad kit next to my computer/CAD workstation. It get's little 5-10 minute bursts across the day, usually when I'm doing something 'big' that takes a while to process/save/etc over the net.

Behind me is my drums. I've rearranged the room a bit to make space and over the weekend I picked up a heap of weatherstrip tape, some heavy-ish curtains, white gaffer tape. I've sealed every door & window, hung the curtains, have some other curtains hanging from the walls (on old picture hooks) and taped up (with thick plastic sheet) the AC and any other vents. It's still not very sound proof at all, it's a pretty old building and is just thin walls clad with weather board, but I figure I can probably get away with a short burst of playing at around 5pm most days.

I've got my Tascam DR-05 mounted on a boom stand so I can try and get some demo/scratch-track drums to send to band mates so we can virtually collaborate. It's not a particularly big room I'm in (especially for 26/13/16/14x6.5 with 16" hats, 20" LH, 22" RH) so I'm trying to work out what works as far as tuning, muffling, room position/orientation for both the drums and the portable recorder. As it stands I've setup the drums with a tiny bit of tea-towel-and-bulldog-clip muffling plus hats and the 20" 1800g 50s A... the 2500g 60s A 22" seemed a little overpowering, I'll have to keep playing around to see if I can get it to work in here. I put a cymbal on the floor just in front of the snare and that's helped with some of the high end of the snare and hats, giving an increased sense of clarity.

If I can keep getting away with playing a little several times a week then I might have to invest in a little/cheap 2 mic setup so I can do mono overhead and kick thing. Down the rabbit hole I go.......

Furious Styles

Reaction score
Practicing double bass for the 1st time. I live in a condo in Chicago, so I set up a few pedals and bass drum practice pads. Making progress. Also, ordered some brushes so I can learn that as well.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I'm still working so my usual M-F 8 to 5. Been working on my ekit for now and figuring out how to record so that my guitarist and I can continue to work remotely. And trying to help my wife keep 4 kids occupied.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I'm still working so my usual M-F 8 to 5. Been working on my ekit for now and figuring out how to record so that my guitarist and I can continue to work remotely. And trying to help my wife keep 4 kids occupied.
Apparently my bold was turned on. Sorry but that.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Today I worked on tenor then alto sax, then spent some time on clarinet, then took a big gulp and picked up the oboe (my wife may leave me if I keep doing that), a little on trumpet and trombone and my lips said enough. So I got on the cello until my arm ached, and finished with the violin. I am terrible on all of them and plan to stay that way.
Are you joking?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As I mentioned in a thread I made we still play a little, but only for live streams. We made pretty good money off that, but I don't know how often we can sustain that though.

Home life is mostly the same. I'll set up a drum set if it goes too long without playing with my band. I've been working on making a divided laundry hamper and it's finally finished, after a few setbacks, mostly with the hinges. Now I need to mow the lawn, trim the trees, and finally run electrical to my drum storage, after only 8 years in this house.

View attachment 433417 View attachment 433418 View attachment 433419
You made that?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been using my time to work on a bunch of projects and clean up the yards.
Finishing a dining room table for my parents and build a rope shelf for my girlfriend's plants that hanging in front of a window.

I'm currently having a snare drum shell sandblasted for a project. I'll make a thread when it's done, next week. I'm thinking it's going to be pretty cool.

Attachments

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you joking?
Perhaps you may heard of those hollow, cylindrical objects that have membranes stretched across their open ends. They say you can beat upon them to produce powerful, rhythmic sounds.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Perhaps you may heard of those hollow, cylindrical objects that have membranes stretched across their open ends. They say you can beat upon them to produce powerful, rhythmic sounds.
I was just amazed that the man could play so many instruments!

Latest posts