How is everyone holding up? What are you working on during this downtime?

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been using my time to work on a bunch of projects and clean up the yards.
Finishing a dining room table for my parents and build a rope shelf for my girlfriend's plants that hanging in front of a window.

I'm currently having a snare drum shell sandblasted for a project. I'll make a thread when it's done, next week. I'm thinking it's going to be pretty cool.
Lookin' good, DB!

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
Have my Yamaha e-kit set up in my home office ( I work from home ) and have decided to get into some of those drum books I have collected over the years and never quite got to . First couple books on the schedule are John Ramsey’s Art Blakey and Alan Dawson books and Gary Chester’s New Breed

Attachments

Fat_asian

Reaction score
I've been working on my cardio, I weigh over 300 lbs so the most I can sit is for one hour on the drums tops. Been using this time to walk regularly losing my gut so I can be a more active drummer.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
You made that?
Yeah, I've been getting into woodworking more the last couple of years. Started with an accent table a few years ago with a couple other small projects after that. Then I built a bunch of stuff right before my kid was born. Made an entertainment center, matching coffee table, office desk for my wife, a hall tree, kitchen cart, patio end table, a floating deck, a shoe dresser, shelves, picture frames, a sofa table, some utility tables for the living room, a dartboard cubby, our son's bassinet, and a jewelry cabinet for my wife.

It's good to get out of the house when the weather is nice, plus learning a skill. Still have a long way to go though.

Not sure if these will share or not: https://photos.app.goo.gl/drH898ezhQ9RHwWE6

Last edited:

tone-def

Reaction score
This might be extreme to some, but I decided that the beat up black duroplastic look of my Premier kit wasn't working for me. So with all the downtime and a few rattle cans of Krylon glitter blast (bought before the lockdown), I improvised a new look. To be honest I wasn't sure how it would end up so I painted over the black wrap rather than the bare shells. Could be better but didn't turn out too bad, at least until I can afford something else.

20200331_215203.jpg
20190720_144749.jpg

eigentone

Reaction score
I've already leveled up a few times in Drumeo in the process of going through several courses. I also started guitar lessons (Skype) for the first time in over 20 years -- a local Berklee teacher announced he was taking new students. I have a few projects, like some upgrades for my basses and guitars. I'm working as much as I did before the shutdown. I'm cooking a lot and I did the yard/grass this weekend. The plate is pretty full at this point.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been getting into woodworking more the last couple of years. Started with an accent table a few years ago with a couple other small projects after that. Then I built a bunch of stuff right before my kid was born. Made an entertainment center, matching coffee table, office desk for my wife, a hall tree, kitchen cart, patio end table, a floating deck, a shoe dresser, shelves, picture frames, a sofa table, some utility tables for the living room, a dartboard cubby, our son's bassinet, and a jewelry cabinet for my wife.

It's good to get out of the house when the weather is nice, plus learning a skill. Still have a long way to go though.

Not sure if these will share or not: https://photos.app.goo.gl/drH898ezhQ9RHwWE6
Sweet! Nice work. Those projects are all so cool. I really like the entry way bench/coat rack thing. I want to make one like that!

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
...working from home. A very positive side is I no longer have my harsh Bay Area commute into SF. For example yesterday I did the drive in to pick up some files and it took 25 minutes. Normally that can take up to an hour and a half. That can mean nearly three hours of commute a day.

Working from home means I can have real positive interaction and quality time with my young child. This has been a joyful ray of rainbow and sunshine in these difficult times.

in addition to that, I play some pad and give my wife a drum lesson or two.

...and I say a little prayer for those who are out of work or struggling in any way.

Stickclick

Reaction score
Yesterday I played along with Guns n' Roses, Airborne and Metallica. Today I'm trying to record some Indian style Raga Rap. It'll probably sound terrible but I'm bored so why not?

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a college campus minister and have spent the last few weeks trying to move my ministry as online as possible. Doing some services, teaching two classes, doing one-on-one counseling and spiritual direction, all via Zoom. I've had very little time to actually play drums, though I did set up that little Starclassic Maple bop kit I was selling and have been messing with various tunings on the wide-open 18" bass drum. We also had an element go out on our hot water heater, so that's been an adventure.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drum wise, I decided to work on something I've never really given much time to - brushes. Going off of another thread, I've started with the Florian Alexandru-Zorn video. I don't do a lot of jazz playing, and he has some alternative brush applications that seem to fit folk and rock formats - sweeping with 2 and 4 accents etc. Taking it slow and trying to get the feel, but so far so good.

Other than that, stuff around the house, walking dogs more and staying away from people.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Sweet! Nice work. Those projects are all so cool. I really like the entry way bench/coat rack thing. I want to make one like that!
Thanks! Most of these were "commissioned" by my wife, esp. that hall tree. I'd always leave my jackets on the back of the couch during winter so she was tired of that. Also in that room is that blue/brown shoe dresser, so it's kind of our mudroom. It's the main entryway we use, so it's really handy, plus she likes all the extra room for decorations.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This might be extreme to some, but I decided that the beat up black duroplastic look of my Premier kit wasn't working for me. So with all the downtime and a few rattle cans of Krylon glitter blast (bought before the lockdown), I improvised a new look. To be honest I wasn't sure how it would end up so I painted over the black wrap rather than the bare shells. Could be better but didn't turn out too bad, at least until I can afford something else.

View attachment 433457 View attachment 433455
I think you did a great job of painting there man! Looks great from my POV.

I do not have pictures as of yet. But I did bring home my buddy's vintage Premier jazz kit. I will be working on refurbishing this kit over the next few months.

I am, unfortunately, one of the peeps with a weak immune system. SO, I am very weary. Extremely clean. My mother also has COPD. . .so I basically keep her butt locked up in her yard! For now, we are both doing fine and dandy.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! Most of these were "commissioned" by my wife, esp. that hall tree. I'd always leave my jackets on the back of the couch during winter so she was tired of that. Also in that room is that blue/brown shoe dresser, so it's kind of our mudroom. It's the main entryway we use, so it's really handy, plus she likes all the extra room for decorations.
So cool.