How long till Ebay has Myspace type tumble weeds rolling around?

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
For real with all the recent changes how can they last? Does anyone honestly think eBay is still a viable place to sell? Buying there is still cool but how long can such a lop sided approach last? I don't see them lasting 5 years with the current structure.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I still buy stuff off ebay, but it has all been new stuff... Not auction stuff from personal sellers.

dyland

Reaction score
I'm out of the loop. How has eBay changed?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, eBay isn't going anywhere. They have changed, and may again, to favor the sale of new goods direct, but they are evolving as the online market evolves. Even Reverb, which started out to be a revisit of the good old days of eBay for used musical instruments, has become another conduit for the sale of new merchandise.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For selling, eBay is becoming more difficult for small-time sellers like me. I've got lots of snare drums to sell, which will easily total well over $600. I'm not going to give my SSN so eBay can generate a 1099 to satisfy the Feds. I completely understand how all this works, but I'm now going to sell my drums either on CL or DFO/VDF.

More to the point that the OP is asking... I do see eBay staying around for quite some time. I buy all the time, but just won't sell.

-Mark

The Whale

Reaction score
I'm out of the loop. How has eBay changed?
They are no longer affiliated with PayPal. Getting your funds is slow. Like 3 - 5 days slow. Also they have increased how much they take. I just did my first sale since things changed. I sold an item for $55 with free shipping. I only get $47.36. That's about a 14% cut. That in my opinion is crazy.

The Whale

Reaction score
For selling, eBay is becoming more difficult for small-time sellers like me. I've got lots of snare drums to sell, which will easily total well over $600. I'm not going to give my SSN so eBay can generate a 1099 to satisfy the Feds. I completely understand how all this works, but I'm now going to sell my drums either on CL or DFO/VDF.

More to the point that the OP is asking... I do see eBay staying around for quite some time. I buy all the time, but just won't sell.

-Mark
But that is what everyone is saying. I'm going to buy there but not sell. How can they keep that up?

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know things change, but I really miss the original format, bidding on stuff against other's. It could be exciting and frustrating, but it was always fun. Now its almost all Buy It Now and almost all new items, which I guess is where the money is. I can't remember the last item I actually bid on.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really know what their long term plan looks like. But I will say, I haven't liked anything I've seen over the past 10 or so years. I stopped dealing with them years ago. I no longer purchase or participate in auctions.
I have other paths that work considerably better than ebay.
I will say ... these ebay threads are popping up more frequently these days. That's an interesting personal observation.
I do think more and more are beginning to walk away from them. Kinda like cable?
It takes time ... but eventually more and more people wake up and see things for what they are.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got lots of snare drums to sell, which will easily total well over $600. I'm not going to give my SSN so eBay can generate a 1099 to satisfy the Feds.
The 1099 requirement is $20,000 in California. The $600 is only for certain states (DC, MD, MA, MS, VA, VT)

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fine for purchases if you can still find a good deal but no longer viable for selling for me.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't used ebay personally in years. I used to buy an odd software or whatever thing from them every now and then until I found better and less clunky sources.

I do use ebay commercially, I've bought commercial (hospital) washing machines and CT/MRI parts and things like that, it's a good resource for used/refurbished stuff like that, sometimes.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
eBay is a weird place to me as consumer. It is not for enthusiasts so you never really know who you're dealing with. The UX is clunky, the page is ugly and the messaging system is particularly awkward. eBay used to be a cool place where you can find anything you wanted, now it's more of a place to see 100 of the same generic postings for after-market Apple Watch straps.

They are a behemoth but all these specialty sites like Reverb must be taking a bite out of their bottom line.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it sustainable?
Beats me, I'm just pointing out that since inception their stock has been on a steady rise and recently hit an all-time high but dropped marginally the past week.

Not sure that trend is a sign of a financially or otherwise distressed organization is my point but who knows.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 1099 requirement is $20,000 in California. The $600 is only for certain states (DC, MD, MA, MS, VA, VT)
I'll have to look into that amount. I thought it was $600+ in California.

-Mark

The Whale

Reaction score
All I know is that I ended all three of my listings I still had up. I'm done selling with them. Marketplace reverb and right here on the forum is just way too easy.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is that I ended all three of my listings I still had up. I'm done selling with them. Marketplace reverb and right here on the forum is just way too easy.
I just sold three listings over the last couple weeks on Reverb. Fees, but a lot of exposure and pretty easy to manage.

I don't know Ebay's business model lately but it may be shifting away from individual consumers to commercial consumers or something. I wouldn't use it at this point for anything personally.