header.nohb.html

How many “princess and the pea” details on drums people willing to quibble over?

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can your ear hear the difference between so many little, teeny weeny details such as whether a snare is held on by reinforced packing tape, plastic strips, grosgrain ribbon or strings? How about species of wood? Whether hyde glue or another glue was used in the layup of shells? What about zero to three vent holes? There may be subtle differences, but I don’t think one could listen to a snare drum with five vents, not see them and identify that such and such drum has five vents that are 1/2 in diameter between every other lug on a ten lug snare drum.

Discuss…

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Even things that do not effect the sound ...Everyone has their own expectations but I am not one to get overly concerned about, for example, original tension rods and/or washers. I know people who are though.

In a perfect world, sure it's nice to have everything just as it left the factory, but reality often steps in. As long as the replacements look okay and serve the correct function I'm pretty much good.

One reason I've steered clear of selling any drums is to avoid having to deal with that sort of attention to detail. Not that my drums are hodge-podges of random parts but still I'm not looking to get into a heated discussion over a washer. Someday I suppose I'll need to go down that road. Not looking forward to it.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
need more thread about saucy gold sparkle roger
so far I only count 4.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I dunno but 4 separate threads on a single drum set may be a record

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Even things that do not effect the sound ...Everyone has their own expectations but I am not one to get overly concerned about, for example, original tension rods and/or washers. I know people who are though.

In a perfect world, sure it's nice to have everything just as it left the factory, but reality often steps in. As long as the replacements look okay and serve the correct function I'm pretty much good.

One reason I've steered clear of selling any drums is to avoid having to deal with that sort of attention to detail. Not that my drums are hodge-podges of random parts but still I'm not looking to get into a heated discussion over a washer. Someday I suppose I'll need to go down that road. Not looking forward to it.

I certainly don’t have expectations of every single T-rod being original. Case in point: my Rogers kit that I have rehabbed. I know for a fact that many of the T-rods are not original to the kit; which ones are the Rogers ones? No clue! There are several finishes, some are more nickel appearing; others are a cooler tone of chrome. This kit was heavily gigged in the first twenty years and sat for 30! All I care about is how it plays and sounds. Wrap has shrunk. Yet she’s perfect to me!

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score

Four different topics that pertain to one kit.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I can be a picky as the next person when I am alone in my practice space. When I am playing live all I care about is if the hardware holds things where I want them, and the pedals working. In a live situation, to me, I am too busy listening to the musicians whom I am supposed to be supporting to really hear my own gear. Besides, I am pretty darn sure that sitting behind the kit is not where I am going to hear a true representation of my sound. That said, when tuning before performing sometimes the room characteristics freak me out and discourage me. It goes away during sound check.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score

I don't see what those have to do with this topic. What is the point you are making?

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
It’s funny, because of my gigs that were recorded, I literally have no idea what drums I was playing, considering that I played anything from fiberglass Pearls, Tama Silverstars, 80s Tama Rockstars, Premier or one of two DW kits. I can tell immediately what cymbals I was playing; unless I remembered which kit I was playing, I have no idea what drums were being played for that gig!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I've never been so picky about my instruments. I'm only interested in three Things:

Do they sound good?

How heavy are they?

Will they fit in my car?

Unless something is broken, I couldn't care less about all the other stuff.
I call you realistic and pragmatic. I've never heard you play, but I am willing to bet you are one helluva musician based on your attitude.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I've never been so picky about my instruments. I'm only interested in three Things:

Do they sound good?

How heavy are they?

Will they fit in my car?

Unless something is broken, I couldn't care less about all the other stuff.

Those are VERY important qualities!

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can your ear hear the difference between so many little, teeny weeny details such as whether a snare is held on by reinforced packing tape, plastic strips, grosgrain ribbon or strings? How about species of wood? Whether hyde glue or another glue was used in the layup of shells? What about zero to three vent holes? There may be subtle differences, but I don’t think one could listen to a snare drum with five vents, not see them and identify that such and such drum has five vents that are 1/2 in diameter between every other lug on a ten lug snare drum.

Discuss…
This is going to be a good thread... I better pop some corn!