header.nohb.html

How many “princess and the pea” details on drums people willing to quibble over?

Jay-Dee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nitpicky stuff always makes me think of amateur cyclists who spend a fortune on the lightest groupset they can find for their road or mountain bike to save a hundred and fifty grams when they're fifteen kilograms overweight.

Concentrate on the part that needs improving, probably your playing, time, ear and buy a reasonable set (whatever you can afford) from any manufacturer that you like and put decent drum heads on it. You can't go too far wrong.

becken

Reaction score
We are a peculiar bunch … but danged if we ain’t fun.
No you aren't. Better practice methods usually improves the sound of your instruments. Its not the equipment, its the operator who is more clueless than adequately prepared to do the job. Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect. Its up to you.

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is something nobody else would notice or care about, but it makes a difference to me, so it was worth it.
^^ This ^^.
The general topic of - details don't matter - comes up regularly in a multitude of guises, often in relation to a mainstream snare/kit versus a boutique snare/kit.
The answer is if it makes a difference to the player then it is worth it. If you can afford it, go for it.
Elite athletes don't use two year old running shoes, or ride $1000 bikes. Someone like Rafael Nadal has a long and elaborate routine before every single serve. But he's a winner.
If I was called into a pressure situation, recording with Bob Clearmountain or a date with Bruce Springsteen I would want to know my gear was top class, whether it impacted the outcome or not.
That's not to say cheaper, damaged gear can not sound amazing. I always buy based on sound, not looks. I have great sounding drums that are player drums. Arguably my best sounding drum set is an Oaklawn Camco that likely no one else would buy. It has one inch holes drilled in all the tom shells (no one knows why), it arrived coated in house gloss paint which I stripped off.
When I'm recording with someone they often specifically ask me to use that kit because they love the sound.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No you aren't. Better practice methods usually improves the sound of your instruments. Its not the equipment, its the operator who is more clueless than adequately prepared to do the job. Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect. Its up to you.
What makes you think you can’t be particular about your gear AND practice enough to be adequately prepared for the job? That’s such a false either-or type of thing that just plain has no correlation whatsoever.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
An area where I was surprised to see a lot of attention to miniscule details, and a lot of different small changes making a big difference in the end, is audio engineering /recording. Example would be eq or compression, very small adjustments can go a long way. I don't hear it all, but I try to improve. Which leads to the other aspect of this topic: someone not hearing something (yet) doesn't mean it's not there.
->https://www.drumforum.org/threads/ot-ear-training.199555/

Tubwompus

Reaction score
I am unable to smell the difference.
If you listen closely, the mouse fart is slightly higher pitched than the chipmunk fart.
A bat, having a tighter anus, farts approximately 1/4 of an octave higher.
Provided the bat’s been calibrated recently, understand.

Tubwompus

Reaction score
I was talking recently with another veteran guy who I consider to be not only as great a rock drummer as it’s possible to be, but an equally exemplary human. We both have embarrassingly large stashes of top top TOP equipment and we were laughing at ourselves about it. He said, “After the lifetime of ridiculous crap [not the word he used] that most of us touring nobodies have endured through the decades of doing this, we’ve earned the right to at least do it on as good gear as there is to be had.”

We laughed about it but dammit if I don’t agree with him. Lucky we are, indeed.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
^^ This ^^.
The general topic of - details don't matter - comes up regularly in a multitude of guises, often in relation to a mainstream snare/kit versus a boutique snare/kit.
The answer is if it makes a difference to the player then it is worth it. If you can afford it, go for it.
Elite athletes don't use two year old running shoes, or ride $1000 bikes. Someone like Rafael Nadal has a long and elaborate routine before every single serve. But he's a winner.
If I was called into a pressure situation, recording with Bob Clearmountain or a date with Bruce Springsteen I would want to know my gear was top class, whether it impacted the outcome or not.
That's not to say cheaper, damaged gear can not sound amazing. I always buy based on sound, not looks. I have great sounding drums that are player drums. Arguably my best sounding drum set is an Oaklawn Camco that likely no one else would buy. It has one inch holes drilled in all the tom shells (no one knows why), it arrived coated in house gloss paint which I stripped off.
When I'm recording with someone they often specifically ask me to use that kit because they love the sound.
Now I know why you called it your beater set! I suppose the holes were experimenting with larger vents, no? Could actually be the reason why you like them so much, huh?

And absolutely it’s not about spending silly money, at least not for me. I think most folks would consider going from Puresound wires to Gibraltar a downgrade. And now that I did it, I eliminated something that I always felt could be improved, and I won’t have to consider it again for a long time.

However, I freely admit to not being a great drummer, and true, I could have spent the 15 minutes it took and practiced instead. I would be 15 whole minutes ahead of the game ;)