header.nohb.html

How many cymbals do you really need?

underratedcowbell

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I started drumming, about 25 years ago, my goal was to have as many cymbals I could gey my hands on. I once gigged about a year or so with 10 cymbals and hi-hat in my cymbal bag, so imagine the weight I was carrying around! The years went by and I started downsizing my cymbal collection considerably because my influences in music changed, I got fed up of carrying all that crap and I came to the conclusion that I was either hiting a certain cymbal no more than a few times during gigs or on the contrary I was hitting to much cymbals, many more than the songs asked for just to justify myself the huge investment. Nowadays I carry a pair of hi-hats, a crash and a ride, or if I am in a down to earth kind of day I only carry a pair of hi-hats and a crashable ride. I have never been happy in my life! So where’s the question: in reality how many cymbals do you really need to satisfy your needs in the studio or gig situations?

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 2 rides, about 5-6 various crashes, a few effects crashes, a few sets of hats and I am good. That covers all of my bases.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
There are really two questions here:
How many cymbals do you need to play what you want to play on a set?
AND
How many cymbals do you need to own?

The answer to the first question varies as much as setups vary from person to person. For me, I’m almost always a hats/ride/2 crashes guy these days.

For the second, it’s always “n+1.”

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have quite a few cymbals at home, but on a gig, I rarely use more than two or three plus hi-hats. Maybe for a fusion-type gig, which I never have, I might bring china, splash, bell cymbals, as well as a small crash, but mostly it's jazz with a house kit, so the classic two-crash-rides set-up, maybe plus a flat ride, works best.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
" in reality how many cymbals do you really need to satisfy your needs in the studio or gig situations "... like others have stated, that is 100% dictated by the music and need at hand. I own a lot, but I take what I feel is required for the moment at hand. I've always said I can get by with less drums than cymbals so I am already aware that I have a problem... but I like it!

As you said, a good crashable ride is a very versatile tool (every ride I own is crashable) I will often play with as few as two cymbals and hats, but really prefer 3 cymbals and 1 set of hats and every rig I own is built around this core set up (crash, crash ride and crashable ride with a nice matching set of hats). When I go "big" I still max out at 5 and hats. Though the temptation is always there to add another 7 or 8 for fun!!!

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
What I’ve been using for a while is one pair of hi hats, two crashes, and two rides. One ride thin and washy and the other ride heavy and pingy.

GretschMan61

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Atypically for a Rock gig I use a ride , two crashes and Hihats .

For small rooms I may just take
A Crashable Ride cymbal (20” 602 Medium ride ) and 18” thin crash and hihats .

For Big Band gigs I like having less crashes and more rides . Ideally I like
a 22” ride , 20” Crash ride , a 20” swish and hihats .

Three cymbals and hihats is my main setup though .

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an A Zildjian 18" crash/ride that can cover both bases pretty well, but not ideal. For me, a 20" ride, an 18" thin crash, and some 14" hi hats are what I want. I could certainly make do with just the 18" crash/ride and the hats.