How many know about Redd Volkaert?

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow! Check out HELLO WALLS at 44:00

Saw Redd With MERLE HAGGARD at a really nice performance hall here in Prescott AZ about 20 years or so ago. He was the real deal. He mixed up chicken pickin' country twang lead guitar with outside jazzy things. He was just a monster, and very creative. Merle always had good players that would bring a jazzy element to the country. It was a great show. Not too loud, not too long, just right.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
Wow! Check out HELLO WALLS at 44:00

Saw Redd With MERLE HAGGARD at a really nice performance hall here in Prescott AZ about 20 years or so ago. He was the real deal. He mixed up chicken pickin' country twang lead guitar with outside jazzy things. He was just a monster, and very creative. Merle always had good players that would bring a jazzy element to the country. It was a great show. Not too loud, not too long, just right.
He has an unassuming sense of humility about him. Unusual...

Last edited:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
He lived in Kyle Texas just south of Austin where I used to live. When I'd go see him play he would always acknowledge me being there and saying "If I knew you were coming I would have rode with you!"

Great guitarist and personality. I sat in with him a few times at Jams but never got to play a full gig with him.

There's some really good stuff on YouTube of him playing.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still one of my favorites. Cindy Cashdollar on steel. (Asleep at the Wheel)

Her music was my introduction to this maestro . I consider him to be an equal of Jr. Brown and Danny Gatton .

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Her music was my introduction to this maestro . I consider him to be an equal of Jr. Brown and Danny Gatton .
Based on the original video that started this thread, I'd have to agree.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
good old canadian boy .... played in my area for years before heading south
a real good drummer pal of mine played with him for years
my youngest brother played in some bands with him too then he went south and joined the bellamy bros. band
red 's a great guitar player , and he's a real funny guy too ...

Reaction score
I saw him Heybale a few years back, they were excellent.
I heard he retired and moved to NC recently?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on the original video that started this thread, I'd have to agree.
...and Redd would be the first to disagree with you both :) he's very humble. He was sitting with my wife and I one night and she was telling him she wanted to learn how to play guitar he replied "maybe you can find someone to teach us both!" lol then she talked about her fingers being to short, he held his hand up to hers and no joke his fingers were shorter than hers and twice as wide, there's no way he should be able to play like he does.

p83

DFO Master
Reaction score
i travel to dallas every year to help a friend at the spring guitar show. i discovered redd one year, an after that i have made a point to see him every year. always has great players and really brings it. very humble, nice man who is also very funny.