How many of you all play bass?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I started bass about 5-6 years ago when I had some time off before starting teaching music in public school. Thought it could be useful for band practice etc. It's great, I learned a completely new perspectice on music.
Up until recently, I played in a rehearsal band of sorts, doing a bit of STones, Beatles, but also some Tom Petty/Wilburys stuff. I also "subbed" in a school big band, but that was hard. I can read music well, piano mostly, but it was hard to find the notes on the bass, not to metnion play walking bass. I dropped out at some point.

Squier VM jazz bass, later got a MiM P bass. Set the latter up with Fender flatwouds and love the smooth feel. Sounds just right to my ear.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I play bass as well, but its been about 30 years since I gigged as a bass player. Here are a few pictures of my basses: Musicman Stingray USA with a birdseye maple neck, Alembic Spoiler w/Ebony Fretboard, Fender Jazz USA, Fender PJ USA (not pictured). Fortunately, my youngest daughter has embraced the instrument and really excels at it. I still occasionally fart around on the bass.
IMG_20200402_193829579.jpg

a
IMG_20200402_193703616.jpg
IMG_20200402_193712031.jpg
IMG_20190206_104131614.jpg
IMG_20190206_104039828.jpg
88128337_3041738055845978_6245344397886488576_o.jpg
88151748_3041738092512641_4458872439245373440_o.jpg

rock roll

Reaction score
I have Yamaha bass guitar and a Peavey TNT 115 S amp that I poke around on . First thing I learned was Papa was a Rolling Stone .
I used to have a Peavey tnt 130 back in the late 80's thru the 90's ... I loved it. So did a local bass God who traded me his "swr"head for it, saying that it might not have as much tone as the his swr but it had more power .

rock roll

Reaction score
I started out on guitar when real young , my dad would sit around the house and pick and sing on weekends and holidays.so he got me to take some guitar lessons when I was old enough but it didn't last long , I broke my thumb wrestling , got into sports and forgot music until high school , where my neighbor showed me how to play bass. I practically slept with it and got good quick .
Played in a lot of bands and jammed a lot since back in the 80's and 90's around my era , there was a million guitar players a few drummers but no bass players.
Into the 90's since I had the practice garage and house drum kit , I would play it when there were no drummers , and for a time there were a lot of bass players so I ended up playing a lot of drums.
I'm about even on bass and drums , not so much on guitar my leads are not great unless I work them out ahead of time.ive been compared to buddy guy-ish (don't I wish) .
Drum wise my style is more al Jackson jr, ringo , Charlie watts.
On bass my first idol was Donald "duck" Dunn .im a big stax volt fan.

The more instruments I learn , the more I understand how they are used together ... To form magic.

Stay safe everyone.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually, I’m buying a bass in the next few days. I’ve been attempting to play guitar off & on for 20 years and I can’t get to the point of being able to play it in public. I sold it and a Fender Jazz Bass is in my future.

I’m going play with a pick and you can’t stop me.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with using a pick. Sting did it for years with the Police and now he only uses his thumb to play. Whatever works!

rock roll

Reaction score
Actually, I’m buying a bass in the next few days. I’ve been attempting to play guitar off & on for 20 years and I can’t get to the point of being able to play it in public. I sold it and a Fender Jazz Bass is in my future.

I’m going play with a pick and you can’t stop me.
I use both a pick and my fingers. Check out Larry graham he was sly n the family stones bass player..he had this cool trick , which I use, of cupping the pick, sliding it into his palm with his thumb , when he wanted to play with his fingers then using his thumb slide the pick back into his fingers during the same song...very cool. There should be people demonstrating the technique I saw an interview with him a long time ago explaining it. It may still be out there. Try google and see what comes up.

there are some easy learning tricks , let me know if you want any advice.
Stick to 2 and 3 chord songs at first learn the L-shape (1-4-5) progressions.
Good luck.

rock roll

Reaction score
I play bass as well, but its been about 30 years since I gigged as a bass player. Here are a few pictures of my basses: Musicman Stingray USA with a birdseye maple neck, Alembic Spoiler w/Ebony Fretboard, Fender Jazz USA, Fender PJ USA (not pictured). Fortunately, my youngest daughter has embraced the instrument and really excels at it. I still occasionally fart around on the bass.
, View attachment 473066
a View attachment 473059 View attachment 473060 View attachment 473062 View attachment 473063 View attachment 473064 View attachment 473065
Which bass do you allow your daughter to play?
I have always wanted an alembic .
What year sting ray ? .... They are heavy.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use both a pick and my fingers. Check out Larry graham he was sly n the family stones bass player..he had this cool trick , which I use, of cupping the pick, sliding it into his palm with his thumb , when he wanted to play with his fingers then using his thumb slide the pick back into his fingers during the same song...very cool. There should be people demonstrating the technique I saw an interview with him a long time ago explaining it. It may still be out there. Try google and see what comes up.

Good luck.
At this point I don’t want to be a bass player. I just want to be a guy who plays bass.

wraub

Reaction score
No shame in playing with a pick, it's a viable technique imo. It worked for Chris Squire, among others, and... Please allow me to introduce Mr. Bobby Vega. He's played with a lot of the bigs, but still a pretty mellow cat... And, he grooves like a grooving thing, with and without a pick. ;)
In the first video, you can see him tuck the pick at about the one minute mark...

In this video he does it right at the top, and repeatedly- it's a technique video, wherein he uses a pick at times. The good stuff begins around 1:40.

As a bass player, I fully admit to "borrowing" from Bobby V. Happy viewing. ;)

Good luck.

Last edited:

scole

Reaction score
As a guitarist, I do play bass but it’s just so I can have bass on the songs I write. I really don’t have any firm grip on the bassist “mindset” and how to write bass parts for songs. Mostly I’m just doubling the guitar or just reinforcing the root note of chords.

One positive from the whole COVID nightmare has been watching all the videos that the great Leland Sklar has posted on YouTube of him playing through the songs he’s been a part of.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Which bass do you allow your daughter to play?
I have always wanted an alembic .
What year sting ray ? .... They are heavy.
My daughter plays all of them. She's a heck of a bass player and she just turned 15. She absolutely loves the instrument and has the bass mojo much more than I ever did. She has named all of the basses and it's pretty funny how she just adores each one. She probably loves the Alembic the best...his name is Al. That Alembic is very hi-fi and it can do anything. The sustain from the neck thru design is pretty amazing. It has an interesting combination of tone woods in it's makeup.
The Stingray is from the mid 2000s and it's a GORGEOUS instrument. The birdseye maple neck is a work of art and it plays like a dream. My daughter named the bass "Deac-ie" after John Deacon from Queen. She's a huge Queen fan and she has that thing sounding just like Deacon's Stringray on "Another One bites the Dust". It's pretty heavy, but it has "that tone". It's hard to beat the sound of that bass for certain funky things.
I played mostly a Fender PJ Bass back in the day.

bon viesta

Reaction score
not sure if anyone’s realized but my posts on this forum have really dried up. and that’s because i’m focusing on bass! so what a relevant forum to see in my notifications. not sure if anyone cares but i find myself now quite active on the rival forum “talkbass.com” :wink: it’s a pretty old place too. i can’t help being a gearhead, no matter the instrument.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thinking my next bass-related purchase should be an amp/box/combo.
I have a small practice amp, wondering what size/wattage I should get for band practice, but also gigs (big band, blues) without a large PA. Depending on the room, the latter might require quite a bit of power, right? I read you should leave quite a bit of headroom for a good sound.