How many of you all play bass?

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thinking my next bass-related purchase should be an amp/box/combo.
I have a small practice amp, wondering what size/wattage I should get for band practice, but also gigs (big band, blues) without a large PA. Depending on the room, the latter might require quite a bit of power, right? I read you should leave quite a bit of headroom for a good sound.
Me too.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Squier VM Jazz bass that I just had the pickups replaced with Fender Jazz series pickups . I also installed Rotosound flat wound strings . The sonic difference is remarkable .
I do not profess to have any ability on the bass yet . My plan is to start taking lessons in January and start getting serious about it .

I bought a Taylor GS Mini Koa acoustic guitar a couple months back and I am really enjoying strumming a few chord and getting my fingers toughened up .

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just picked up this amazing Spector with a gorgeous Curly Maple (Tiger) Top, neck thru with EMG active pickups and the famed Spector "Tone Generator." It's got "THAT" sound and growl that Spector basses are known for. While my youngest daughter is now the "real" bassist in the family, I still like to play a bit and enjoy it a lot. I have wanted one of these basses since the 80s. It plays like a dream, but of course, it's already been confiscated by my daughter.
exs5rnjquqznfhdtppn9.jpg
h6wgyyx97whaopc1htgg.jpg
ifgy8ykfk97wixrryouz.jpg

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Holy smokes... Is that Jazz bass gorgeous! Congrats!
At close to $1600, it’s quite pricey for someone of my ability, but I figured I would “grow into it”. Besides, if it’s like drums, the higher level models tend to hold their value more when sold.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I actually decided to return my Squire Jazz bass and get a Fender Player P bass. Sweetwater is awesome on returns. They're only charging my $14 to return it via FedEx. Here's pics of the new P bass which is being shipped as we speak. I'm also taking lessons with SBL (Scott's Bass Lessons). I really like Scott Devine and his program.

PBass2020Capture2.JPG

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Poorly drumming for 35+ years, a better guitarist for 25 years, and bass for 30 years. It's the easist of the 3 for me. I was a bassist in a Dead/ABB/ jam band and was in a reggae band and even cut an album in 2000!

I have a Squier sunburst jazz bass that is sweet. I plan on upgrading the pickups, wiring and pots. I don't play enough to justify having a USA bass. I also have a Dean fretless.....that is a fun one with active pickups! Really hard to play but so smooth. My amp is an Ampeg BA115. 100w, 15" speaker and horn. You put it on 4, and the bass hits you in the chest! Highly recommended.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, after playing the P Bass for a while, I decided I preferred the J Bass, primarily because of the playability of it. So, I called Sweetwater and they allowed me to return the Fender P Bass and to exchange it for a Fender Player J Bass. I LOVE SWEETWATER! I now have two orange Fenders. I'm happy with the switch. Nothing wrong with the P Bass, I just preferred the two pick ups and balance of the J Bass. I also prefer the neck.

140429891_10223849671017161_2929594503386405394_o.jpg

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
I'm primarely a bassist, I started playing drums a month ago. Ask me what you want.
I play a P or a J, both passive, both 4 strings.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
At close to $1600, it’s quite pricey for someone of my ability, but I figured I would “grow into it”. Besides, if it’s like drums, the higher level models tend to hold their value more when sold.
That's ok...you buy once, cry once. It's a smart move to buy exactly what you want in the first place. No regrets. Life is too short. Besides, that beast is stupendous!

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's ok...you buy once, cry once. It's a smart move to buy exactly what you want in the first place. No regrets. Life is too short. Besides, that beast is stupendous!
That is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks. The more I play it, the more I like it.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just started learning bass at a 5-6 weeks ago. It's super fun! I'm impatient to get better though.

I'm in lessons but the progress is slow as she makes me dial in technique. I learned from drums how much of a PITA it is to go back and shore up bad habits so I'm fully on board with this though.

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
I'll be more than happy to help you guys during the process. As drummers, you will love playing the bass and you will understand some things faster than other musicians, in my personal experience.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I’ve played bass off and on for six years, maybe. I had bought my first guitar a couple of years before, decided to try bass and enjoyed it. At one point I had three basses and was fairly into it, but eventually my work schedule forced me to choose between drums, guitar and bass as far as what I needed to work on, and I wasn’t playing bass with anyone but I was playing drums and guitar. So I sold all of my basses except my Squire 70’s Jazz. Recently, I started swapping between drums and bass with a young guy at our church. He plays drums in his school’s jazz band and snare in the marching band and loves playing drums. So, I started playing again and trying to relearn everything that I forgot. One thing that was apparent pretty quickly was that my arthritic shoulder couldn’t handle the weight of the Jazz. After looking at a bunch of short scale basses, I bought a G&L Fallout Tribute, and have really enjoyed playing it. The short scale is a nice transition from playing guitar, and it weighs the same as my LP 60’s Tribute.
One thing that you might consider if you start playing yourself—- get rid of the bridge, which is cheap pressed steel and get a cast bridge.
1613222452303.jpeg
Gotoh makes a nice one and it really increased the sustain on my Jazz. I could play 5th chords and triads with a lot more clarity and authority.

Last edited:

WesChilton

Reaction score
Yep! I've been playing bass since about 1989! I picked it up because bass is the other side of the groove coin from the drums and I wanted to really get a feel for the instrument, initially to be a better drummer. But I loved the instrument so I've kept it up. right now I am playing a Musicman Stingray V Special and a Fender '63 reissue Precision bass.

Basses.jpg

These are sitting in front of my guitar amps, obviously... my bass rig is an Aguilar TH500 and a SL112 cab.