How many of you all play bass?

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What’s a good decent sounding bass for a beginner that won’t probably buy another bass and would stay beginner? Lol
You can never go wrong with a bass that looks like a Fender. Some of the dirt cheap ones have poor fret work But there are quite a few that are really good. Check out my friends at Yamaha.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Duh, tonight, I just discovered using the looper on my guitar pedalboard, to jam to on bass.

On guitar, I record on the looper a rhythm track, then maybe double it with a different tone or effects, them maybe a subtle lead line.

Then park the guitar, grab the bass, and jam over the top of it all.

If it's a song, I can hopelessly sing to it.

Fun, fun, fun.

Dave_drums

Reaction score
I bought a bass in high school and took some lessons. It was helpful in learning theory. I've got an old Mexican Fender Jazz Bass and I play it sometimes, mostly for recording projects. Years ago, I also picked up a little ukulele bass and I used to play in with a little stomp drum on little acoustic gigs. It was fun, though I feel like a real beginner on the bass when compared to my drumming.
uke bass and drum.jpeg

Fingerz

Reaction score
I’ve decided I needed a bass to be able to fix parts on some of my mixes. I picked up this...
A Squier Jazz bass which happens to match my surf green RC’s.
I don’t play but think I’ll pick it up on the side .

Maybe I’ll play like Chris...
View attachment 471871

I originally did the same thing to add to original tracks in the studio. It went like that for years. It was just something that happened one day when my regular bass player bailed on a once-a-month day gig. My guitar player knew I was interested in bass and asked me if I'd like to take the spot. I liked the challenge and of course I sing too, so that made it even more fun and challenging. I sing my tail off on drums and have no problem with harmonies. Bass is another story. I can't seem to wrap my brain around playing a 1 on bass and singing a 3 harmony!

Funny what has happened when I play bass in a band. I become much more critical of the drummer, because we've got to mesh. You start to really appreciate how important it is to lay it down simply on drums...good pocket.

James Hart

Reaction score
I play bass a little... 4, 5, 6, 7 strings... bass guitar and upright... fretted and fretless... I'm a bassist that identifies as a Musician. I also play guitar (electric, acoustic, and banjo bodied).

20211125_121853.jpg
20220105_215157.png
20211225_213928_HDR (1).jpg
20211127_201249 (2021-11-28T01_21_06.698).png

Reynfield

Reaction score
I play everything that a good rock band needs. Even back up vocals. Studio in the house. Here is a few pics of the "studio"....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 4

fusseltier

Reaction score
I'm a drummer but I do have a classical acoustic guitar, a Les Paul and a Cort Action bass.
. But I'm a drummer not a guitar player even though I try.
My drums, Tama Star Walnut 8 Piece set charcoal Japanese Sen, with matching 14x6.5 snare from Japan and Paiste 2002 cymbals most are 35 years old.