header.nohb.html

How Many Of You Play Bass?

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What’s a good decent sounding bass for a beginner that won’t probably buy another bass and would stay beginner? Lol
You can never go wrong with a bass that looks like a Fender. Some of the dirt cheap ones have poor fret work But there are quite a few that are really good. Check out my friends at Yamaha.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Duh, tonight, I just discovered using the looper on my guitar pedalboard, to jam to on bass.

On guitar, I record on the looper a rhythm track, then maybe double it with a different tone or effects, them maybe a subtle lead line.

Then park the guitar, grab the bass, and jam over the top of it all.

If it's a song, I can hopelessly sing to it.

Fun, fun, fun.

Dave_drums

Reaction score
I bought a bass in high school and took some lessons. It was helpful in learning theory. I've got an old Mexican Fender Jazz Bass and I play it sometimes, mostly for recording projects. Years ago, I also picked up a little ukulele bass and I used to play in with a little stomp drum on little acoustic gigs. It was fun, though I feel like a real beginner on the bass when compared to my drumming.
uke bass and drum.jpeg

Fingerz

Reaction score
I’ve decided I needed a bass to be able to fix parts on some of my mixes. I picked up this...
A Squier Jazz bass which happens to match my surf green RC’s.
I don’t play but think I’ll pick it up on the side .

Maybe I’ll play like Chris...
View attachment 471871

I originally did the same thing to add to original tracks in the studio. It went like that for years. It was just something that happened one day when my regular bass player bailed on a once-a-month day gig. My guitar player knew I was interested in bass and asked me if I'd like to take the spot. I liked the challenge and of course I sing too, so that made it even more fun and challenging. I sing my tail off on drums and have no problem with harmonies. Bass is another story. I can't seem to wrap my brain around playing a 1 on bass and singing a 3 harmony!

Funny what has happened when I play bass in a band. I become much more critical of the drummer, because we've got to mesh. You start to really appreciate how important it is to lay it down simply on drums...good pocket.

James Hart

Reaction score
I play bass a little... 4, 5, 6, 7 strings... bass guitar and upright... fretted and fretless... I'm a bassist that identifies as a Musician. I also play guitar (electric, acoustic, and banjo bodied).

20211125_121853.jpg
20220105_215157.png
20211225_213928_HDR (1).jpg
20211127_201249 (2021-11-28T01_21_06.698).png

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a drummer but I do have a classical acoustic guitar, a Les Paul and a Cort Action bass.
. But I'm a drummer not a guitar player even though I try.
My drums, Tama Star Walnut 8 Piece set charcoal Japanese Sen, with matching 14x6.5 snare from Japan and Paiste 2002 cymbals most are 35 years old.

Tubwompus

Reaction score
Luvz me some gitfiddles.

Attachments

• C9AE9827-1E25-4F96-BF5C-CA201AB91FCC.jpeg
    C9AE9827-1E25-4F96-BF5C-CA201AB91FCC.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 9160DBC1-D2A6-4F30-AC06-A55C78F6E2C5.jpeg
    9160DBC1-D2A6-4F30-AC06-A55C78F6E2C5.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 4BD7F11E-F996-4324-B554-B641452CBA07.jpeg
    4BD7F11E-F996-4324-B554-B641452CBA07.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 6C446416-9662-4572-804E-728C7AFC3287.jpeg
    6C446416-9662-4572-804E-728C7AFC3287.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I visited my local pawnshop today.
But they had the door locked to
prohibit browsing inside
(They're still observing their own
Covid safety protocol)...

I asked the owner if he had any basses
for sale, he said he had just one bass.
He went to the back room to get it...

Meanwhile I was hoping it would be
either a black Squire Jazz bass or
a black Ibanez Gio with midrange
pickups...

He brought out a red Ibanez Gio,
I snatched it up for $125 with a
Free gig bag. I love the blud red color!

So now I finally have a nice bass to
play with at home and record with.

Now, to find an acoustic-electric guitar.

Fingerz

Reaction score
And this has what to do with drums?

Just kidding... congratulations on your purchase! I love getting a good deal on something that I really love to play.

Look into the Epiphone Viola Bass when you are ready to move up to a 300 some-odd dollar bass guitar. Medium scale strings a bit hard to find in a pinch but a dream bass that many of my bass buds always want to sit in with when I visit open mics. Not to be confused with the Hoffner Beatle bass. The Epi imho is a much more nicely weighted instrument.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And this has what to do with drums?

Just kidding... congratulations on your purchase! I love getting a good deal on something that I really love to play.

Look into the Epiphone Viola Bass when you are ready to move up to a 300 some-odd dollar bass guitar. Medium scale strings a bit hard to find in a pinch but a dream bass that many of my bass buds always want to sit in with when I visit open mics. Not to be confused with the Hoffner Beatle bass. The Epi imho is a much more nicely weighted instrument.
Thanks!

I'm shy about the Beatle styled basses.
They're nice, tho.
My guitar/frontman has a white one
that he uses for his other band.

I've been out of bass practice
since 2008 when I had carpal tunnel
and a ganglion cyst in my right hand.
So I needed a bass that's lightweight
with a low action just fiddle with
at home, but I'm also keeping an eye
out just in case I catch any more
carpal tunnel pain again.
I like the Epiphone "SG" basses for
their sound and big phat tuning keys.
But my favorites are the Squires and
Fender jazz basses for their versatile
midrange sound. I can dial more tones
from them than from a P bass.

Dan K

Reaction score
I've been playing drums at church a LOT more than I used to do - easily 3 times on drums to once on bass. Bass is still my primary instrument but we are short on drummers 3 for 2 locations and long on bassists - 6!

S

swarfrat

I made a new nut for my fretless after breaking the old one. At one point I had like 5 instruments needing nuts, so I bought the tools and started learning. Since getting it dialed in, I'm really digging it. In fact... I have a long way to go but ... I think I found my thing. Like I'd love to be a better bass player, but I never really wanted it to be my primary instrument, however.... I seem to have a knack for the fretless thing, and I really enjoy it.

I've already experienced this on guitar since I play in all fourths tuning, where I'm playing something and if you were to ask me - what's that you're playing right there I'd have to stop and look and figure it out. But on an unlined board.... if you ask me "what are you playing right there at the turnaround... it's honestly no clue - I think this is a third, but I just sort of put my fingers down and if it doesn't work, you keep sliding until it does.

Dan K

Reaction score
I made a new nut for my fretless after breaking the old one. At one point I had like 5 instruments needing nuts, so I bought the tools and started learning. Since getting it dialed in, I'm really digging it. In fact... I have a long way to go but ... I think I found my thing. Like I'd love to be a better bass player, but I never really wanted it to be my primary instrument, however.... I seem to have a knack for the fretless thing, and I really enjoy it.

I've already experienced this on guitar since I play in all fourths tuning, where I'm playing something and if you were to ask me - what's that you're playing right there I'd have to stop and look and figure it out. But on an unlined board.... if you ask me "what are you playing right there at the turnaround... it's honestly no clue - I think this is a third, but I just sort of put my fingers down and if it doesn't work, you keep sliding until it does.

I have 2 basses with the Zero Fret (fret where the nut is normally and then a nut-like slotted piece to hold the strings on the zero fret) and I really lilke the sound of the basses better as there is not a difference in tone between the fretted and open strings. I would say that it is a legit technique as Michael Tobias (MTD Basses!) uses it. In addition, I have a JJ bass from Devon Basses that has the same zero nut and the bass is good enough that I will be selling my Sadowsky!

FWIW, I am more of a bass player than drummer although I have been scheduled more on drums than bass lately due to a shortage of drummers to cover the two church campuses.

Dan

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Haha! The Accidental Bassist ;)

S

swarfrat

Posted this in the other hobby thread but here it is:
6hE1iWq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve OnmywaytoLA

Reaction score