How many students do you have, and how much competition?

TRstix

Reaction score
Just curious. I have about 27 students. Within about a 10 mile radius, there are at least five other places that offer drum lessons, each some type of music store or academy, not teachers that teach from home.

nutha jason

Reaction score
currently i have 60 kit students a week and i also teach over 180 school kids african drums in classes of 30. i also have a pool of ex pupils who call me for a one off top up every few months.
it is my full time job - that i am allowed to take kids out of class to do kit means i can have such a big pupil base. lucky.
j

TRstix

Reaction score
nutha jason said:
currently i have 60 kit students a week and i also teach over 180 school kids african drums in classes of 30. i also have a pool of ex pupils who call me for a one off top up every few months.
it is my full time job - that i am allowed to take kids out of class to do kit means i can have such a big pupil base. lucky.
j
Are you teaching in a school, or a school system? Sounds pretty cool.

AlexDaigle

Reaction score
I currently have 49 private students, and another 9-10 online students via skype. I am one of two drummers in my city that teach primarily out of any kind of institution (AKA not at home.) Only my skype lessons are from my personal home studio. The other teacher was my first drumset teacher many years ago.

10thAvenueDrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Haven't taught for over 4 years. Where I work, we hire teachers as contractors, and I can't teach out of here because I'm an employee. If I did start teaching again, it'd be out of my house.

Paradiddlebob

Reaction score
I have 42 half hour students/week. There are a few private teachers nearby and A chain music store, Long and McQuade opened up last summer-they teach lessons. I think I'm the only one with a B. Ed.

APSdrums

Reaction score
I have 19 at a local music lesson studio plus a Jr. High percussion class twice a week.

There are a couple of other instructors in town, and one other lesson studio. I do not know their roster counts

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"
Reaction score
I teach part time in the evenings. I currently have 8 students a d am not taking on any new students. My lessons are half hour each but I'm not a clock watcher they usually run in the 45 kin range. I don't put lessons back to back for this reason. All of my students ts except 1 I teach in my studio. The one student I teach from his house I bring a small kit with me usually bass,snare, hats, ride and if needed 1 tom, I don't go weekly to his house it's every 3 weeks and it's a hour lesson. There is a music school close to be south bay shool of music arts where I took lessons as a kid.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My own student group usually runs from 7 to 10 students. The biggest turn over is with beginners who leave when they find out that it's not just fun and games and that they actually have to put in some work. I only teach one day a week at a music school so this schedule works well for me. There are other private schools around and most run an ethical operation. There is ,however, one that blatantly tries to steal students ... every one knows who he is and is careful to avoid any kind of communication with him. His lack of ethics is probably the reason why he has to resort to these tactics in the first place. We are doing well despite this distraction with 400+ students and about 16 teachers on every instrument.

JamisonS

Reaction score
I'll usually have 10-20 students. There are two other private teachers and one local-owned music store in my city. One of the private teachers was my teacher 20+ years ago. He would normally have 60 students, but I think the prevalence of free online learning resources and videos has taken some of the business away from local teachers.

Latest posts