header.nohb.html

How much does a "ding" reduce resale value?

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Paiste vintage blue label 602 20" Heavy Ride that has been unused for awhile. It is in excellent shape, very little logo fade, except for one small edge ding. You really have to look for it to see it but it is there and if I can see it -- it needs to be disclosed for any potential buyer. No radiating crack under jewler's loupe/lens. Seeing these sell for upwards of $400+. How much would you reduce asking price for this flaw?

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you can see it, and it's the largest "flaw" on the cymbal, you should ideally include a photo taken next to ruler or dime. One guy's "ding" is the next person's "cut" or "dent."
And if you don't disclose it in some manner (direct or subtle) then a buyer could come back at you for compensation.....and potentially sully up your feedback rating if the platform has one.
It's a good idea to always show the "worst" flaw on your cymbal to give an idea how focused you are. Even NOS cymbals from 50+ years ago have some "flaw" on them.

5% would be a typical value imo. But could be anything from 0-10% depending on the buyer. A simple way to come up with a number is how much would you pay to "make it go away?"
While that's not possible it's a way to estimate the value loss....and that assumes you are starting at an accurate price of $400 for a perfectly clean example of a 20" 602. If you happen to
undervalue the 602 by $50-$75....and then drop it further for the ding....you're only hurting yourself. The flip side of that is a seller over-valuing the cymbal say at $500 and wonders why it doesn't
sell at $475 when "adjusted" for the ding. Personally I'd be happy to fork over 5-10% on many of my cymbals to rid them (by magic) of a single offending edge cut, ding, flea bite, etc. That's just me.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've never had a cymbal edge ding, dent, warp, flea bite or anything "clear up" with a hammer.
Rarely did they improve any....and in some cases said hammer (attached to my hand) only made it worse.

Last edited:

Commodore

Reaction score
Can you show us the ding?

I've had dozens of cymbals with a little edge dent. I just take a hammer, bang bang ... no more edge dent.
The 602's are brittle ...that metal can shatter. When I was younger, I broke plenty.... I love Paiste, but quit using 602's ;)

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
before someone looks for the gallows and rope for commodore... these's some truth to that - I had 9 of them---602 and edge dings-
unlike other, Turkish or the "genuine" Turkish symbols

Last edited:

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never had a cymbal edge ding, dent, warp, flea bite or anything "clear up" with a hammer.
Rarely did they improve any....and in some cases said hammer (attached to my hand) only made it worse.
Our experience is apparently quite different. I've done this many times with a little edge dent and it flattens it right out with a couple gentle hits. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again, even on a 602.

type85

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Paiste vintage blue label 602 20" Heavy Ride that has been unused for awhile. It is in excellent shape, very little logo fade, except for one small edge ding. You really have to look for it to see it but it is there and if I can see it -- it needs to be disclosed for any potential buyer. No radiating crack under jewler's loupe/lens. Seeing these sell for upwards of $400+. How much would you reduce asking price for this flaw?

Pictures would really help determine the severity of the "ding"!

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think I would start out by trying to sell the cymbal for full FMV, include a picture of the ding/dent, and mention it in the description.
If a potential buyer wants compensation, negotiate something you're both good with.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
before someone looks for the gallows and rope for commodore... these's some truth to that - I had 9 of them---602 and edge dings-
unlike other, Turkish or the "genuine" Turkish symbols
I remember when I was around 14…a friend gave me a broken 602 (22”?) that someone in his older brothers band threw at a wall….taking a big chunk out of the cymbal!

Last edited:

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I see flea bites, dings and keyholing as evidence of how a cymbal may have been treated.
Minor instances of any of these should be considered normal use. Any of these that seem excessive tells me the cymbal hasn’t been babied the way I treat my average players.
A tiny bit of keyholing, a minor flea bite, I’m buying it and playing it without reservation. (I’m not a collector anymore).

Recently I noticed a couple tiny flea bites on a pair of 60’s Zildjian hi hats on my home kit.
These haven’t been played out in a decade, so it told me that these have virtually zero impact on their playability and sound. Since I never plan to sell them, I immediately dismissed the dings and haven’t thought about them again till this thread.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny…you can almost take baseball bats to hit on the tops of cymbals..but..put the edges on cement…..instant edge nicks…

What really sucks is getting a rare cymbAl….seeing edge nicks that look fresh…..esp..on a near perfect cymbal….You can tell the last person did that to it….

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So..always tell friends…..if you loan them cymbals…

DO NOT ….put the edges on cement.…in anyway/shape/form!

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Only owned Avedis and K Zildjians from the beginning. Never any damage to any part of any cymbal. Even had one tip over on a stand and land on it’s edge on terrazzo. A 14” crash IIRC. Nuthin’.

PS: If I was selling a cymbal with some minor edge damage, I would leave it alone, disclose it with pictures, state the going price for an undamaged cymbal, and be prepared to negotiate accordingly.

Last edited:

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos - D’oh - that might be helpful

Attachments

• 812ACD42-1EF9-4F8D-BC03-7E34658C96B5.jpeg
    812ACD42-1EF9-4F8D-BC03-7E34658C96B5.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 9534226B-23E5-4360-9371-50818D961ABA.jpeg
    9534226B-23E5-4360-9371-50818D961ABA.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DFFD78B7-947C-46C7-985D-9E3638A6099B.jpeg
    DFFD78B7-947C-46C7-985D-9E3638A6099B.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 25

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
For resale I wouldn’t worry about it. Mention it in your ad.
On the other hand I’m pretty nutty about things being perfect so I would have to send it out to a cymbalsmith and have him do his magic

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
$20-$30 per ding/dent imo. Let the seller take the risk with the hammer or compensate you.