how much would you pay for late 50s era zildjian??

bon viesta

Reaction score
as a bass player now, and also coming of age, i find that i seriously need to find my own ways to make and spend money on things i want. no more mommy and daddy. and the other day i remembered i had a little trove of cymbals i don’t use anymore under my bed, and i've become a little out of touch with cymbal labels and logos and desirability. i need some help!!

so… late 50s era 22 inch ride and 14 inch pair of hi hats, what would they go for do you think? i was thinking 450 for the pair of hi hats and about 200-250 for the 22 inch ride. and i also have a early 60s rivet hole-having 20 inch ride, sounds great, but it’s cracked and so it can’t crash very well. maybe 100 for that one??

give me your thoughts!!

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
There are lots of unknowns in your post that are important to answering your question. If I were in the market, I'd want to know about weight in grams, hammering, stamps, bell size, mounting hole size and or key hole. Also, are they A. or K. Zildjian?

The HiHats COULD be worth 450 dollars but that would only be if all the stars aligned. It's more likely that the hats are worth 175 to 225 dollars and the ride cymbal about 200, assuming they're in good shape. Paper thin with lots of hammering pushes them toward the higher end of things.

Put up some photos and you'll get a clearer picture.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
as a bass player now, and also coming of age, i find that i seriously need to find my own ways to make and spend money on things i want. no more mommy and daddy.
give me your thoughts!!
Most bass players I know never come of age and can barley find the mens room... usually ending up at their parents or ex girlfriends for dinner four nights a week. Not you of course, you sound much too classy. ;-)

bon viesta

Reaction score
cymbal 1: 20 inch ride. someone please help me date these, by the way! i have long since forgotten the way to classify cymbals by age. cymbal sounds great when used as a ride, could be cleaned, but that crack is a nasty turn off for many i assume. and i don’t blame any of them.

Attachments

bon viesta

Reaction score
cymbal number two: 22 inch ride
again, could be cleaned. it does have some scratches, but i don’t think that’s going to lower the price as much as a crack will. very little amount of key-holing. very dark sounding, which is what all the kids are into these days :p

Attachments

bon viesta

Reaction score
and last but certainly not least, the prize of this “collection”, cymbal(s) number 4: 14 inch hi hats. lots of hammering, actually. and they’re very shiny and nice looking. they sound great, not super cutting or sharp but very old and full sounding. very solid. they go pretty well with the other cymbals too. again, the date, i’m not totally sure but i believe these are late 50s zildjians. the top hi hat says “medium” meaning these aren’t the thin variety. i’ll weigh them sometime soon.

these are the ones i’m sad to see go!!

Attachments

bon viesta

Reaction score
These are Garden variety old A's nothing to right home about,
$150 for the hats.
$150 22.
$40 for the 20
probably more like 200 for the hats, i think. there are zero listings for 50s zildjian a hats below 200. most sit just around that mark.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You got $340 from JPTRICKSTER's assessment and I'd say go with that. My assessment is not even close to $300. Despite their age, A's are everywhere. That 20" you have would get you $5.00 in any Pawn Shop.

bon viesta

Reaction score
You got $340 from JPTRICKSTER's assessment and I'd say go with that. My assessment is not even close to $300. Despite their age, A's are everywhere. That 20" you have would get you $5.00 in any Pawn Shop.
alright. thanks for the help you all. i think i’ll do a bid type deal with the prices set as those above. if people feel like giving more, then they can do so.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't nail the values without weights. And ultimately, sound can drive the price too. That 22 ride could be worth more than $150 if on the lighter to thin side.

The hi hats definitely need to be weighed. Though you do know one of them is stamped "medium." And that one is an early 1950's trans stamp where "medium" back then probably meant 750-850 gms.
The other hat is a 50's SSA small stamp. That could be a matched pair as both stamps were possibly in use at the same time. If the patina and bottom wear patterns are fairly closely matched along with the lathing/hammering..... that's a good sign.
Finding "medium" stamped on a trans stamp 14 is not common....esp. as a "hat." With thin to medium thin weights on the pair I'd value them at $175+.....even as singles. If really nice sounding, and definitely matched, you might be able to
get more. $150 is a "fair" value though....especially when $20 in shipping is tacked on.

Don't clean the 22....or any of them. They are fine as is and look good imo. You'll probably lower the value of them if you do anything more than light soap and water.

Last edited:

bon viesta

Reaction score
i think i’ll list the ride as 50 bucks. if someone wants it, they can take it.

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
i think i’ll list the ride as 50 bucks. if someone wants it, they can take it.

50 is fair for the 20in with a crack. But I'm gonna say 250 plus shipping for the hats on eBay. You'd net about 220 after fees. A Trans Stamp "medium" ain't a medium now. I would guess 750g. Weigh them both and put up a sound file and you'll do fine.

The 22 will be all about the weight.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Instead of looking at listing prices, go to eBay and look at "sold" prices under advanced search. If the 22 is indeed really dark sounding it could be interesting, but you'd need to make a good sound file to demonstrate that. And, as other posters have said, weights are essential.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of trans stamp hats stamped MEDIUM THIN that were 711/746 g. Got 300 EUR when I sold them 10 years ago, but that was Europe.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of trans stamp hats stamped MEDIUM that were 711/746 g. Got 300 EUR when I sold them 10 years ago, but that was Europe.
Seller doesn't have a pair of trans stamps. It's a mixed stamp pairing. So the best you could say is that they "look" to be a matched, orig set "of 50's hats" based on assessing various inputs. If you honestly can't say that, then they
are a put together pair of diff stamps....and not worth nearly as much as a matched pair of trans stamps. I've run into mixed stamp pairings of SSA and SSB Zildjians.....but I cannot recall getting a TS/SSA pairing that I felt
was a factory-made pair. It's nearly always 2 trans stamps or a pair of small stamps.