How NOT to make a cymbal demo

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I get the same reaction to some of the videos posted here that fawn over gut chortles spoken over bass drudges that others call music. Same with the jazzer wannabes. If I could play everything perfectly (not even close), I still don’t think I’d post openly and insult them directly.
It is all just artistic preferences. No big deal.
It is one thing to say that you don’t appreciate it. It’s another to obviously post this to disparage.
Why slam musicians to this degree ... openly like this? It is in bad taste.
Your specific taste in music doesn’t come into the equation ... it is always better to build people up.
Sorry. Just my take. Others may vary.
You can have the soapbox back now.
hahahahahaha

Rallaei

Reaction score
I knew the piano player from that video, met him in NY. Probably one of the best piano players I have ever played with... Just saying..

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
whats he doing with a Geiger counter..kidding maybe
thats' what it sounded like at first
"sounds like a sound track to a movie that isn't being shown".
It's valid. somewhere.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I knew the piano player from that video, met him in NY. Probably one of the best piano players I have ever played with... Just saying..
... and there ya go.
Case in point.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I get the same reaction to some of the videos posted here that fawn over gut chortles spoken over bass drudges that others call music. Same with the jazzer wannabes. If I could play everything perfectly (not even close), I still don’t think I’d post openly and insult them directly.
It is all just artistic preferences. No big deal.
It is one thing to say that you don’t appreciate it. It’s another to obviously post this to disparage.
Why slam musicians to this degree ... openly like this? It is in bad taste.
Your specific taste in music doesn’t come into the equation ... it is always better to build people up.
Sorry. Just my take. Others may vary.
You can have the soapbox back now.
hahahahahaha
You DO realize I might LOVE the music right? Im saying this guy is trying to sell the cymbal on reverb and this is the video he put in his ad. He barely hits it and doesnt play "time" on it..ir the cymbal alone. So I really can't tell what the cymbal sounds like.

This has ZERO to do with the music and 100% with the "cymbal demo".

And I realize your post probably isn't directed at me since I didn't disparage the music it put it down.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I get the same reaction to some of the videos posted here
hmm not me. ever.
This one has to be in the all time top 3.

has to beat the steve maxwell one where a guy is beating a Flat Ride cymbal with a Shoe..

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't get half of the cymbal videos I see. Some of them have SO much compression, overmodulation, and sibliance on them that it's a total waste of time, with a delicate spash cymbal sounding more like a Metro North commuter train. Others, like this one, are buried in 34 minutes of performance that no one is going to sit through. It's simple to lop out a few good seconds of playing.

I prefer when someone says "I'm hitting this with a wood tipped 5A, no felts on the stand" and gives actual useful info. Most times, I see really good players on a full kit too, but just a simple few taps, crashes, maybe even some time on the cymbal is good enough for me. I have no idea why so many videos work against the sale as this one does.

Dan

artvandalaye

Reaction score
Cymbal demonstration aside, I know Raf, and he's an incredible drummer and composer (as well as a very nice guy). One of the most unique players I've heard in a while. Cheers!

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cymbal demonstration aside, I know Raf, and he's an incredible drummer and composer (as well as a very nice guy). One of the most unique players I've heard in a while. Cheers!
Can you get him to put up a sound file where we can hear the cymbal? Ha ha.

BTW, I usually like this sort of music, so it's definitely not an insult. I just want to hear the cymbal.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
You DO realize I might LOVE the music right? Im saying this guy is trying to sell the cymbal on reverb and this is the video he put in his ad. He barely hits it and doesnt play "time" on it..ir the cymbal alone. So I really can't tell what the cymbal sounds like.

This has ZERO to do with the music and 100% with the "cymbal demo".

And I realize your post probably isn't directed at me since I didn't disparage the music it put it down.
Ummmm ... sure.
So, that means you are just insulting the drummer in his choice of cymbal demonstration video and calling him ... a fellow drummer ... a Newbie.
Why?
He obviously felt his video adequately demonstrated the range of the cymbal well. That is how HE sees this cymbal because of his chosen style of music. In HIS view, it is the perfect demonstration from the videos he had available.

You are still disparaging this drummer ... just a different word weapon is wielded.

We can agree and disagree on performances and styles and music. We have likes and dislikes of drummers. We can even get personal on why we don’t like the person that plays the drums. Thise can get passionate, and that’s ok.
But in the end, we don’t ever isolate a fellow drummer and set him up to be mocked and ridiculed ... for whatever justification you happen to deem appropriate. It is wrong.

I don’t get why some of us drummers feel the need to insult and openly set up other drummers on this site to slam a doggone drummer ... a DRUMMER, for goodness sake ...
It doesn’t make any sense.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks. Appreciate you speaking up for the artist.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
in his choice of cymbal demonstration video
Frankly I don't "think" he consciously chose that... rather It was the the footage he had close at hand...
He obviously felt his video adequately demonstrated the range of the cymbal well.
You don't know that at all..

there's a difference between a drummer that Stinks or shall we say "limited"...(that's Not this guy)...and one who chooses to play let's say a fringe music. This guy can play. His choice to demonstrate to a wide audience is where this clip falls short..
And I think he knows that- and just didn't make a video for the express purpose of selling the cymbal

Last edited:

Latest posts