How NOT to make a cymbal demo

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Frankly I don't "think" he consciously chose that... rather It was the the footage he had close at hand...

You don't know that at all..
So, join in the mob and insult the drummer if that is your choice. This thread was set up for just that.
You hold the Gourd Of Opinion.
Opine away.
Let your negative vibes flow.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
If he doesn't know that's an extreme demo of a cymbal for sale- then I'll say he's crazy But I think he didn't bother...
and in 4 months or sooner will..

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ummmm ... sure.
So, that means you are just insulting the drummer in his choice of cymbal demonstration video and calling him ... a fellow drummer ... a Newbie.
Why?
He obviously felt his video adequately demonstrated the range of the cymbal well. That is how HE sees this cymbal because of his chosen style of music. In HIS view, it is the perfect demonstration from the videos he had available.

You are still disparaging this drummer ... just a different word weapon is wielded.

We can agree and disagree on performances and styles and music. We have likes and dislikes of drummers. We can even get personal on why we don’t like the person that plays the drums. Thise can get passionate, and that’s ok.
But in the end, we don’t ever isolate a fellow drummer and set him up to be mocked and ridiculed ... for whatever justification you happen to deem appropriate. It is wrong.

I don’t get why some of us drummers feel the need to insult and openly set up other drummers on this site to slam a doggone drummer ... a DRUMMER, for goodness sake ...
It doesn’t make any sense.
1. Yes. I think he made a REALLY REALLY bad choice of a video to demo the cymbal he is selling. Would you buy this cymbal based on the video?

2. I think his drumming is great and very creative and full of passion. I like the performance a lot.

3. I never called him a "newbie ". I didn't even imply it . Actually i barely wrote anything.

4. I think you might be reading WAY too much into this.

5. No you are 100% wrong. The thread was not set up to insult the drummer. It was set up to IMO show how not to make a cymbal demo. Imo.

If I wanted insult someone I would use words like
His time sucks
That haircut is ridiculous
Where did he get those pants?
Etc...

Eh. Forget it

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can a moderator please delete this thread. Its really has taken a left turn to a dead end road.

I didnt intend this to go there.

Sorry to offend anyone...but my intentions were good.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
3. I never called him a "newbie ". I didn't even imply it . Actually i barely wrote anything.

4. I think you might be reading WAY too much into this.
That is “Your” Newbie graphic emoji run on top of the video. The only text you posted in two posts.
So, yes. You did call him a “Newbie”.
... I read what you posted.
Justify whatever you feel the need to justify. This thread was posted to disparage a drummer ... hardly “good” intention.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ah. I see. I didnt even realize the emoji said newbie. I thought they were all smilies.

Fair enough. I can totally see your perspective now.

But. No. This thread was not posted to disparage a drummer.
You obviously don't know me personally. I don't disparage any person...period.

There are a few members who know me personally and can tell you I don't disparage people.

Sounds like you have an agenda and have made up your mind. Im thinking nothing im going to write will change your mind.

I retrospect I could have written

"While I appreciate this drummers performance and playing im at a loss how this video demonstrates the sound of the cymbal"

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Where'd that video of displaying your Paiste Big Beats go McJnic seems to have disappeared

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ah. I see. I didnt even realize the emoji said newbie. I thought they were all smilies.

Fair enough. I can totally see your perspective now.

But. No. This thread was not posted to disparage a drummer.
You obviously don't know me personally. I don't disparage any person...period.

There are a few members who know me personally and can tell you I don't disparage people.

Sounds like you have an agenda and have made up your mind. Im thinking nothing im going to write will change your mind.
All Good.
Tom, it is not personal. I don’t have an agenda. I am a drummer ... like you and most everyone else here. I get tired of the negative threads slamming other drummers. Nothing more.
I got nothing against you. It ain’t about you ... or me.
It is only about remembering we are drummers. We are all at different levels and skill levels.
It doesn‘t matter whether I believe you or not. I needed to speak out against what I perceived to be ... this. Your right to knock ‘em if you choose. My right to call out what I see as ... this.
If I was wrong, so be it. I do not believe I was. You do. That is ok. We move on. All good.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Love you man. All good. Thanks.

But. I still request a moderator to delete the thread for the good of the forum.

jb111

Reaction score
I don't mind how out these guys are going. That's for them to decide. I can decide to watch it or not. But I couldn't honestly decide to buy that cymbal based on the video.

Last edited:

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
What a difference being logged-on and logged-out makes. Whew lawsy ... it's like Florida man joins ABBA to soundtrack a Tarantino movie.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Where I play...in the middle of the first sax solo, a guy from the audience would come up to the sax player, while he's playing, and scream in his ear "My girlfriend wants to hear Brown Eyed Girl!"

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
That sax sound made my dachshunds cringe, and they are dogs who will roll around in the stinkiest poo or dead animal! I listen to some really odd stuff (Earth: Extracapsular Extraction....and, Dick Hyman: Electrodynamics), and Im guessing each of these 3 have some sort of musical ability, BUT, they are making a mockery of being a band/making music in general!!! Three musicians with seemingly no regard for each other, and the "music" (hope they dont consider it that) they are attempting to create. Reminds me of when my band added a 4th member, a "percussionist" to our 3pc rock/blues/funk band...playing funk, and the guy gets all tribal on his congas and eyes rolling into the back of his head...no regard for keeping time with me, or accenting the rest of the song...just in his own world, doing his own thing. Screw people like that!!! from the listing: "2274g but sounds rather like an 1800g cymbal." I wonder if this guy even has an 1800g 20" cymbal :D

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
All Good.
Tom, it is not personal. I don’t have an agenda. I am a drummer ... like you and most everyone else here. I get tired of the negative threads slamming other drummers. Nothing more.
I got nothing against you. It ain’t about you ... or me.
It is only about remembering we are drummers. We are all at different levels and skill levels.
It doesn‘t matter whether I believe you or not. I needed to speak out against what I perceived to be ... this. Your right to knock ‘em if you choose. My right to call out what I see as ... this.
If I was wrong, so be it. I do not believe I was. You do. That is ok. We move on. All good.
Not dissing the drummers ability, but more so ALL THREE OF THEM for not respecting each other musically. Each likely has skills on their instrument, but as a 3pc, this is a joke...its not jazz, its not experimental....just three guys doing there own thing, at the same time, with NO REGARDS for each other, and what they should be as a cohesive unit (a band).

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"yeah you don't know what we had to do to get him to settle down like that".....

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If this is parody, it is effing hilarious. Done straight as an arrow. if for real, still funny, but not quite as much.

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Producer: Hmmmmm.... What else have you got?
Engineer quietly to producer: Is that a wrap? I'll lock up.
Producer: Great stuff, guys. We'll let you know. :cool:

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really guys...really! I'm not about to disparage any of these guys personally. More than likely they are all schooled musicians. But this video can't be taken seriously as music. A parody or a goof of some sort, maybe even a performance...but not music. Just plain silly. BUT a great example of what Tom said initially...a bad cymbal demo. Or is it a good bad cymbal demo?