How odd is this guy?

Chicagoish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got a 1960s Rogers kit with Zildjian Cymbals. They told me when I inquired about the stuff that it comes with zildjians: 18,17,16 and 14" Hats. I just assumed the 18" was the ride, and was surprised to find that the 17" much more heavy than the 18" and was used as the ride. It comes in at 1770g, while the 18" is thin at 1385g.

Anybody else ever come a cross a 17" ride?

Here's a pic of the three dots 1 3/16" logo.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
ive got a 16 like that 17 is. suprisingly amazing sound.

mike

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
At 1770g it could be an orphan from a pair of marching band cymbals.
Wild guess.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
ive often thought the same of mine....

mike

Chicagoish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
At 1770g it could be an orphan from a pair of marching band cymbals.
Wild guess.
ES and Mike...I was thinking the same... I just didn't remember if they made 'em that big for Marching, but I think they even go bigger than 17" now that I think about it...

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I know that Paiste made 16's in the 2002 Ride catagory---Simon Kirke of Bad Company, one of my favorite drummers, played those for a while. I don't know if I've ever seen Zildjian's in a ride below 18." I used a 16" band cymbal as a ride for a while with the Frankenkit that I used for a "winter kit" in my garage. It actually didn't sound all that bad---the bell was surprisingly playable.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
zildjian actually did make some a 16" that was classified as a ride. me and steven were talking about them here a few(several) months back. mini cup rides if i recall correctly.

mike

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
In the 70's both Zildjian AND Paiste had Rides in 17" Paiste made Rides from 13" to 24" YES 13"!!!!
:)

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a 17" ride from the 40s, probably. I hear they're more common from back then and the size of ride cymbals was smaller back then, too. My 17" ride cymbal is great. It has a semi-trashy tone, but has nice strong stick, odd-harmonics but when you play it with other instruments it just sounds sweeter by the moment. I also have another 17" Zildjian thinner cymbal that has (factory, I believe) rivet holes and it has a nice ride sound but it is thinner, and probably slightly newer... This cymbal got me thinking that you could have a ride cymbal that is really much smaller than what people normally think.. I wonder how good YOUR 17" ride sounds?

I just weighed the heavier 17" I'm talking about on a good-quality home scale and it weighs around 3.5 lbs or about 1587 grams.. This isn't completely accurate but it is close. I'll try to rustle up a picture..

Chicagoish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Pounder....

Well, it has a high tone, with good stick definition. There is a wash that can build up and it too is high pitched - but yet gong like. Not sure it fits my style or needs. Nice sound overall, but probably more suited for jazz.

mbettis

Reaction score
I had an old 17" Zildjian in a ride weight. She didn't sound very good. She was just..... odd.

Ended up using her in a set of 17" hats that a guy had me make for him. Made a nice hat after some work.

Later,
Matt

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah mine is a good jazz cymbal.. It has nice stick definition, probably too trashy for most people's tastes.

Mike (Mtarrani) put a link to a Count Basie on youtube on this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40396&p=413784#p413784

over in the general section. Notice the drummer's small cymbal size?

jahinrix

Reaction score
I had an old 16" K from Istanbul that was heavy and I used it as a ride with a small kit. But are you aware of the Zildjian Re-Mix series? I am not sure if they make them any more, but I have a 17" ride that is great from that series. It appears to be machine made, and has 2 different hammer patterns, one big dimples and another small. Surprising as these are to me, its one of my favorite cymbals, and I have lots of 'em.