How old are thes Gretsch Cat Clubs?

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
These appeared at a local pawn shop a few weeks ago. I don’t know modern Gretsch at all.... Is there enough info to guestimate year of production? I’m thinking 2002-2005ish...?

“8” piece. Hats are a sabian and a zildjian, both heavy and I’m assuming both originally bottom hats. 18” A crash ride. An AAX splash and a lower line Zildjian with distinct, round hammer marks evenly spaced.

Wondering if they’re worth getting at half this price.... I like the 18”
BD....

Attachments

Johnny K

Reaction score
Nice I am no where near Arizona. I would love to have a set of those Cat Club shells to gig with. But like Dirty Sticks says, offer half.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seems like most pawn shops try to double their expenditure, so I would think offering half is likely not going to work. They may bite at $400.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
With the bronze,hardware, and drums it's not an unfair price. Optimistic perhaps, but the figure for generic luan drums is usually given here as don't pay more than $75-100 per drum. I don't think its far off the mark.

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve tried the $400
Offer but the kit “hasn’t been out long enough”. So I’ll wait.

I’m a patient fellow....

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When the Catalina Club kits came out in the early 2000 they had the single lug design ... they changed that to the current lug setup (like the kit pictured) around 2006/2007 ... so I would say they're 2007-present.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have that exact kit in satan like the one in my avatar. Very nice sounding drums for the money with the exception on the snare drum. I have coated ambassadors on drums and Super kick II on the kick. I gig the socks off them playing everything from Jazz to Country and Rock, they do it all... Those are the Cat edition before the current model. so as was stated before 2007 and up sounds about right. i bought mine new when they were blowing them out so the new round badge model could roll out, about 2014 or so. I paid $400 for the shell pack then.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
They're at least a couple of years old, maybe a bit more.
Those drums have the black square badge....

1563490666459.png

...nowadays, they use the black round badge....

1563490482157.png

Last edited:

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score

Attachments

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can’t figure multiquote on an iphone....

I went back today to snap a badge pic. Yes, the square blacks. And the price is now $700.
They went UP? That's laughable. I think selling cymbals with a kit is ridiculous in most cases, and that includes this one.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Easily $300 in hardware and cymbals there. All decent enough to be easily saleable via CL.

When I've sold basic kits, most of the time it's a first kit for someone....or someone coming back after a long layoff who wants a complete kit. So invariably, they ask for hardware and/or cymbals too, or they will just buy elsewhere. For a kit like this I'd keep the better cymbals and outfit with straight B8's, PST's or ZBT's for around $100-$130. Sometimes you just have to include a HW and cymbal option if you want to move a kit out....or be prepared to sit on it a lot longer.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$200 worth of cymbals, $50 for the hardware, $200 for the kit. That's how much it would bring in my neck of the woods. $500 would be a very generous price.

GeeDeeEmm