How old is my Ludwig Classic Maple ?

Cloggie

Reaction score
I bought a used Ludwig Classic Maple in Black Diamond Pearl finish with serial number 3395246. The seller (a Dutch official Ludwig dealer) thought it might be 7-8 years old.
Who can indicate how old it is?
I found several webpages on how to date a Ludwig but don't see the serial number range of my kit there....

Thanks for any info!

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe Ludwig started using labels inside the drum in 2011. So if your serial number is on the badge the drums are pre-2011.

FWIW, I had a mid-90's Black Beauty with a 33XXXXX serial number, keystone badge.

Cloggie

Reaction score
I asked the dealer again and he also thinks first half of 1990s. When does vintage start? ;)

I'll post a pic of the badge once I can get this.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My kit was custom ordered in spring of 2002, the included supra has a May 2002 date stamp inside. 9 ply. Serial #s supra-3383939, 18”-3392497, 16”-3392484, 26”-3392488, 14” 3392316 if that helps. If I recall, at that time wrapped finishes were not available with inlayed hoops so if yours are smooth black that might help date them as well.

Last edited:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Elite floor tom brackets and spurs would have been standard in that era, although I think you could order old style gull wings or 70’s style curved and 60’s style floor tom brackets were an option. Mini Classic Lugs were standard on all classic maples, but Large classic was an option (why mine were custom ordered, along with wanting 14” deep bass drum on the “zep set” package)

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
Around 2005 I ordered a green sparkle kit, 12,15,22. The 12 & 15 had small lugs, the 15 had classic mounts, the 12 had a rims mount. Both had 2 badges. The bass drum had large lugs, curved spurs and inlayed hoops. I believe these drums were the last of the nine ply kits.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Around 2005 I ordered a green sparkle kit, 12,15,22. The 12 & 15 had small lugs, the 15 had classic mounts, the 12 had a rims mount. Both had 2 badges. The bass drum had large lugs, curved spurs and inlayed hoops. I believe these drums were the last of the nine ply kits.
I don’t suppose you have any serial #’s off them? I’m guessing these drums are right around that window in time if Ludwig was remotely consistent with numbers. They can’t have been selling too many drums back then as I had a hard time even finding a dealer that could put in an order in 2002 and there were still a lot of music stores in north Jersey at the time.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I believe Ludwig started using labels inside the drum in 2011. So if your serial number is on the badge the drums are pre-2011.

FWIW, I had a mid-90's Black Beauty with a 33XXXXX serial number, keystone badge.

Actually the paper labels started around 2015. I bought a brand new classic maple set in 2012 and have sequential serial numbers on each drum. I added a 14x14 in 2015 and Ludwig had just started using the paper tags. If the set in question is early 90's, then it should be a six play classic set or possibly a 4-ply super classic set. (the 4-ply is a lot more scarce). One thing with 90's wrap is that it was totally prone to cracking and shrinking and it happened a lot. A good number of wrapped sets from the 90's that have wraps like WMP, BDP, OBP have wraps that are split in places. What are the sizes of your set? Do you have any pics? Classic maple drums started around 1997 and was a nine ply shell. The switch to 7 ply was probably around 2007-08?

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don’t suppose you have any serial #’s off them? I’m guessing these drums are right around that window in time if Ludwig was remotely consistent with numbers. They can’t have been selling too many drums back then as I had a hard time even finding a dealer that could put in an order in 2002 and there were still a lot of music stores in north Jersey at the time.
They were selling a lot of drums. I don’t have any badge info

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They were selling a lot of drums. I don’t have any badge info
Its hard to get any sort of concrete numbers on production, but it seems Ludwigs renaissance that seems to be ongoing started a few years after I bought my kit. Back then neither Sam Ash or Guitar Center were carrying any Ludwigs and visibility among major acts and in drum publications was pretty low at the time. They pretty much had the inside cover of modern drummer and that was it. The OP’s serials are about 3000 after mine. I wonder how many Classic Maples they were making a year, although the snares must have followed the same basic serial numbers. Possibly the marching drums and concert that shared the gold Keystone did as well

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually the paper labels started around 2015. I bought a brand new classic maple set in 2012 and have sequential serial numbers on each drum. I added a 14x14 in 2015 and Ludwig had just started using the paper tags. If the set in question is early 90's, then it should be a six play classic set or possibly a 4-ply super classic set. (the 4-ply is a lot more scarce). One thing with 90's wrap is that it was totally prone to cracking and shrinking and it happened a lot. A good number of wrapped sets from the 90's that have wraps like WMP, BDP, OBP have wraps that are split in places. What are the sizes of your set? Do you have any pics? Classic maple drums started around 1997 and was a nine ply shell. The switch to 7 ply was probably around 2007-08?
I'm actually not the OP, but great info!

I was using 2011 based on Ludwig's Modern Serial Number Decoder posted by another forum member earlier this year:

Cloggie

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers.

I haven't been back yet in the rehearsal room to count plies or to take a pic of the badge (on the outside). But the seller (official Ludwig dealer) tells me now it is from between 1990 and 1995.

Cloggie

Reaction score
The mystery is solved. I have talked to the sales guy who knows more about this kit. His company sold it around 2005 brand new to a customer who changed it for another kit this year. So the kit is from 2004-2006 and I'm the second owner. I only paid $1400 for the 5 piece shell set