How old is this perplexing Istanbul K?

Jarndyce

Reaction score
Hi
New member here.
In the 1980s I obtained a second hand 19 1/2 inch Istanbul K, weighing around 1800 grams. Having looked at the stamp (against all of the useful information on this site and others) it seems to me to be a new new stamp, which dates to the last few years of the Istanbul factory. However, the mounting hole is 7/16th, it never would fit a standard mount with a plastic guard and a half inch drill bit won't pass through the hole. It's definitely a "small hole" cymbal. The rub is, I have recently read that the small hole cymbals were ceased in around 1958 when the half inch became the norm.
I also read in a post somewhere that the 1950s Ks had a "smoky, tinny" sound, which is my cymbal's sound down to a T- I refer to it as a "smoky monster".
As P.G Wodehouse may have said, "what mean"? Any explanations are welcome, because I'm confused.

Jarndyce

Reaction score
Many New Stamps have smallish holes.
Thanks TPC, so nothing out of the ordinary then. I was wondering if it had got lost in the vault somewhere in the factory and then stamped and sold when they were getting ready to close the place down. It's still a wonderful cymbal. Thanks for the information.

Reactions: TPC

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hmmm, different, a double stamp.
Bottom looks like new stamp lathing, can't tell from the top pic, looks generic.
7/16 hole shows up in all 3 generations.
I'd hit that, nice cymbal :thumbright: