How rare are Pre-Serial Ludwig 12x18 bass drums?

gdrumzz

Reaction score
Good morning from beautiful Sunny San Diego Ca.. First, I wish to thank you for accepting my request to join the group.. I poked around at some of the conversations & low & behold a topic on WFL Jazzettes popped up, not only did they pop up but, “the pre serials” came in to discussion.. Well, hold on to your hats folks, I personally am the proud owner of a 100% all original pre-serial Jazzette in champagne sparkle with the original supra phonic purchased with the kit including the speed king, the spurlock high hat & snare stand.. I’ve owned it for over 40 years, taken real good care of it, no fading, a few tiny minuscule scratches on the bass hoops (normal) this kit is amazing! The range is incredible simply by tuning or head configurations.. This kit of all kits has always brought out the best in my playing.. thanks for letting me share!.

Attachments

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if Pre-Serial 12x18's are kind of rare or medium rare.
Here's a well done "Baby Ringo" 12x18 with clear maple interior, 8x12, 14x14, Super Classic.
Is that snare a 5 or 5.5?

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice kit,
:) Seems like an ideal Bop size kit...
During the transition years ,what year was the Ludwig L arm holder used as opposed to the clip mount?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help...
Chris

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Joe, that is quite a find indeed! The 12x18 was marketed with the jazzette outfit in the 1967 catalog but as Kevin pointed out, it was a size option with the gold coast. This was more than likely special ordered. It would be really cool to trace it's history to see where it came from and who ordered it. I find it odd that the cymbal mount was put so far forward. This is quite the rare drum IMO.
Kurt, I know this is an old thread but you are right, the 12 x18 came with the Jazzette kit but that kit was only in mahogany, natural maple or lacquer finish according to the '67 catalogue though in the Ludwig transition years, it certainly could be pearl finishes available... imagine a 12x18 oyster blue or oyster pink bass drum?
Great discussion on this rare bird of a drum....

Last edited:

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hen's dentures would be far more common than what you have there.

A pre serial number 12 x 18 would be in the very rare frequency category. Any 12 x 18 is relatively rare (whatever the production era) compared to 20" and 22" bass drums. They just didn't make that many. A couple of 12 x 18 turn over each year, but more commonly as part of a kit rather than an orphan. I've been recording sales of these since late 2005. My sample doesn't offer 100% coverage but it is the best info we've got as far as I know.

Jazzette Kits: 40 in 13 years so around 3 per year (although that includes 6 ply and re-wraps, etc)
Orphan 12 x 18 Bass: 8 in 13 years so 0.6 per year (this excludes 14 x 18 because they don't qualify given the extra depth)

Add that particular Ringo color and it gets even more rare.

There was one sale of a pre serial red sparkle 12 x 18 bass in 2008 ($375 and 24 bids) so I can vouch for the existence of a pre serial 12 x 18 in one other color.

There was one sale of a keystone badge in Ringo color 12 x 18 bass in 2011 ($977 and 27 bids). That one had a pole mount which suggests it might have been from a Gold Coast outfit (p33 in the 1964 Catalog). * edit * which Kevin kindly showed from the New For 1963 mini Catalog while I was getting my frequency stats together
Steve, we can always count on your wonderfully detailed stats, thanks for chiming in and for your info! This is still helpful after 2 years

Last edited: