How similar? Pearl Wood Fiberglass new VS old

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
Hi!

First OP so hopefully I have done everything right :)
I used to be on PDF about ten years back, but not much action there nowadays it seems. Glad I found this place!

I'm looking at a (likely late 70s/early 80s) Pearl Wood Fiberglass kit but am wondering about my options for add-ons. Anyone have a clue as to whether the newer W/F drums by Pearl would blend with the old ones in terms of sound?

The newer ones are Kapur wood which I don't know much about. I gather the older ones are luan. Anyone have a clue how comparable they are construction- or soundwise?

First option is of course to find perfectly matching drums, but who knows when that'll happen. Newer W/Fs are discontinued as well, but it should at least up my chances if they are a solid 2nd option. If i pick up the kit I don't want to throw any ol' Export tom on there :)

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Never played an old W/F Pearl kit but I have a new one in my studio and I love it. I did play a fiberglass concert tom Pearl kit in the late 70’s which was also great. Sorry I can’t give you any advice on the differences.

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! They're cool kits. New ones are really nice as well. Did you find them excessively loud? WFs have a bit of a reputation that way, if not as much as the all-fiberglass.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
The original WFs are quite common on eBay. Might take you a bit of waiting, but I'd bet you'll find anything but the rarest sizes on there some time over the course of a year.
There is a really active vintage Pearl Facebook group that's a good resource for orphan drums and knowledge, too.

Billy Baker in particular does a lot of work with the all-fiberglass drums, but he might have some WF stuff,too.

If they're a reasonable price and you like the sizes, I say go for them.

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
Very tempting I'd guess! I love that orange metallic finish on 70s Pearls. I believe it was called Orange Flash, at least at one point. Very cool kit!

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
buy that one...you will love the sound... if not , could you tell me the name of the shop that has them?
Russell's Music World: https://www.facebook.com/Russells-Music-World-117783451599764/

Those look like they are in amazing shape!
They were. I just left his store. They sold last week! Russell told me he let them go for $275. I was tempted, but I really wasn't feeling the 10x14 mounted tom.

To the OP: I had a set of the reissues for a time; they were great sounding drums, albeit heavy!

1.jpg

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
(Sorry for the long self-hijack!)
Would you guys rather go for a kit that's in really good condition, or one in lesser condition but at a (probably) lower price?

The nicer kit is 12" 13" 16" 18"), henceforth the Rock kit. The one in less stellar condition has more config options (10x6" (!), 12", 13", 14x10" rack, 16x16), henceforth the Big kit.

Both are almost certainly 22" kick. For the Big kit I also have a lead on a matching 24" kick and 18" floor.

Mainly there is some significant damage to the finish, clearly visible in photos. Also there have been large stickers on some of the drums. Where a sticker was there looks like there could be some very visible discoloration at worst, and some tape residue to peel off at best.

Regarding price, here's the kicker: The bigger kit also comes with a handful of junk cymbals e.g. Meinl Headliner etc (two hihats and I think four other crash and ride cymbals) and a bunch of stands. It also comes with two (!) chrome finished snare drums. Not unlikely one of them's a Jupiter that came with the kit. I suspect it may be the original owner selling it.
With these "extras", the price is almost that of the rock config, but they could probably be talked down just a bit. However if I manage to sell off the extras, which isn't a given in my experience with the current market, that could drop the price quite a bit in the end.

I'm not in the US but let's say the Rock kit is $500. Probably not too flexible.
The Big kit, I think I could maybe get them to do $400 for the lot. The 24" kick an 18" floor is $100.
By selling the Big kit extras, with any luck I should at least raise $100.
The Rock kit is also far enough away to likely have me checking into a hotel, which is another expense to be taken into account. It's at this point a bit of a strain on my current budget as I'm still selling some stuff off.

So, options are:
1) 7pc for $250-400, condition visually poor
2) 8pc with extra kick for $350-500, condition visually poor
3) 5pc no snare $500, good to excellent condition

By e.g. $250-400 I mean it's $400 total but about $300 or less if I get the extras sold off.

I'll of course be checking stuff in person Before buying, especially the one in uncertain condition.

Thanks for any advice!