How thin is too thin for a stave drum shell?

afwdrums

Reaction score
I’m in the process of constructing a stave drum shell, and looks like once it’s finished routing out the inside so that it’s in round it will only be about 5/16’s thick...it’s not a whole lot thinner than the 3/8’s I was going for, but even that is kinda thin I think...is that going to be too thin to be useable (assuming it stays glued together)?

is there any sense in adding re-rings to a stave shell? Not the “integrated” re-rings, but actually adding re-rings

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Adam, hit up Jefferson at Sugar Percussion here in Santa Cruz. He's the Stave master and a nice guy to boot, I'm sure he would be happy to share some knowledge.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I had stave shells made for toms they started at 12mm thick then cut the shell down to 6mm, leaving 12mm "rerings". They told me that 6mm was too thin without the "rerings."

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I routed out a couple stave drums. One is 1/4" thick with 1/2" thick reinforcement rings. The other is 3/8" thick with no re-rings. I'm pretty sure that my 3/8" stave could have been shaved down to 5/16" if I really wanted it, but I'm fine with the 3/8" thickness.

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i have a walnut 16-stave shell that came out at 7mm thick, without rerings

a stave that had a wood plug in it somehow got into my pile, and was revealed after i routed the outside, so the shell became my "mistake-filled setup shell that always went first" whenever starting a new machining process; another mistake occurred when routing the inside as it "tipped up" while turning, so to correct that i went thinner to try to correct the gouge left behind

that created its own new set of problems because a 7mm shell will easily flex if pressed too hard while routing, enough to weaken the glue bonds

but i eventually finished it anyway with pitted Rockstar hardware... and i love how it sounds, so now its my "designated beater 8x14", even tho it looks like it was made in shop class

afwdrums

Reaction score
thanks for all the answers so far guys, much appreciated!

so if I'm understanding, 5/16th's (or just a hair under 8mm) might still be ok, but definitely wouldn't recommend going any thinner

Gordogarbo

Reaction score
Hey Adam, hit up Jefferson at Sugar Percussion here in Santa Cruz. He's the Stave master and a nice guy to boot, I'm sure he would be happy to share some knowledge.
Just want to echo this, Jerfferson is super skilled, and super kind! I’m sure he would love to help. I have one of his Cedar Stave snares and it’s lovely!

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a DaVille stave kit in their Resonate series (thin shell with integrated reinforcing rings). Smaller toms are 1/4", larger toms are 5/16", bass drums are 3/8". I've owned my kit for about 6 or 7 years with no issues.