How to add floor tom legs without drilling discovery

Richie Paradise

Reaction score
Recently I picked up a matching 70's 15" tom from a chap in Sweden for a good price. Thing is finding Slingerland parts to convert it to a floor tom were proving hard and/or expensive (plus the whole 'to drill or not to drill' debate). Then I remembered I had some Tama hoop clip on mounts which i could add floor tom legs to, works great. Voila. I forgot how much fun 2 floor toms are.
I'd tried the Dunnet/Gibralter clip mounts first but they were sending the legs off at unworkable angles, they might work with thicker hoops though. Anyway, well worth considering. Also a handy way of turning a small tom into a floor tom on those tinyy stage gigs which we all know so well....

Attachments

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Excellent idea! I'd never conceived of using those clamps in that application. Good thinking!

GeeDeeEmm

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great idea Richie! you know, this is what the drummers of the early 20th century had to do...they had to find cheap ways to get the hardware to do what they needed. very cool!

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a Tama clamp? What's the part #? If it's not cost prohibitive this looks like a great idea.

Richie Paradise

Reaction score
That's a Tama clamp? What's the part #? If it's not cost prohibitive this looks like a great idea.

They’re around £17 here in the UK, which adds up x3 but as they’re so versatile it’s cost effective. I normally use them to add cymbals up to 14” in size from toms, which considering the tiny spaces I often play in makes life a lot easier.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These work too. I have several. i use them when I want to make my 7 pc into a small bop kit.
I have heard others say the Dunnet clamp used like this puts the floor tom legs at too much of an angle. I dunno myself, as I haven't tried it. Good idea, though - as well as the Tama clamp, but not cost effective. You're looking at basically $75 for the three clamps plus cost of floor tom legs. I hate the thought of drilling for floor tom legs but it could probably be done for around $50-$60.

Johnny K

Reaction score
I have heard others say the Dunnet clamp used like this puts the floor tom legs at too much of an angle. I dunno myself, as I haven't tried it. Good idea, though - as well as the Tama clamp, but not cost effective. You're looking at basically $75 for the three clamps plus cost of floor tom legs. I hate the thought of drilling for floor tom legs but it could probably be done for around $50-$60.
They're not wrong. The legs look like they're slightly angled inwards. I am only out the 75 dollars. I have the tom legs as a result of converting my 16" tom to a kick drum.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
They’re around £17 here in the UK, which adds up x3 but as they’re so versatile it’s cost effective. I normally use them to add cymbals up to 14” in size from toms, which considering the tiny spaces I often play in makes life a lot easier.
I like the idea. Do you notice if using the clamps changes the tuning of the drum a bit?

Richie Paradise

Reaction score
No noticeable effect on the tuning, they don’t touch the head so definitely no problem there.

As for the Dunnett ones, if you read my initial post I point out that when I tried them they had the legs at totally impossible angles, there was about a 10 to 15 degree slant. They’d probably work on thicker hoops like a die cast, basically the top and bottom ‘lips’ of the hoop have to be parallel for the dunnett ones to be straight. That isn’t the case with the the Tama ones which work in a slightly different way, hence they are straight so work perfectly.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
^ THIS is the type of content that still makes coming to DrumForum worthwhile even after 20 years.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
These work too. I have several. i use them when I want to make my 7 pc into a small bop kit.
I bought these Dunnett clamps, thinking they would be the magic solution to adding legs without drilling or replacing lugs or mounts. I was wrong. They SUCK on the drum I tried it on, which has a basic triple flange rim. Mine are at such a stupid angle. I'm going to seek out the Tama version [MC8] and try those. And the reason I don't replace 3 lugs with INDe or Ludwig Atlas mounts is that my Trick drum only has one screw to hold it on, and INDe and Ludwigs don't work.

Stretch