How to avoid steep angle on toms

Rmgreg

Reaction score
I have 4 rack toms mounted on 2 dw tom stands. The 10, 12, 14 and 16 rack toms are 8, 10, 12 and 13.5 inches deep with an 18" floor tom. I'm trying to avoid what the previous owner did with steep angles in toms but having trouble clearing the bass drum. I want to keep the virgin kick.
Attached is the angles he had.

Advice appreciated. This is my first acoustic kit so even without so many toms I'd probably struggle since I have my Roland kit very low and tight.

Attachments

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Raise your seat up. It's probably much lower than it needs to be.

2. Just flatten them out and get used to raising your hands higher to get to them. They'll sound much better being hit with the correct stick angle.

3. Raise your snare so that it's closer to your newly flattened out toms. It's probably too low like your throne probably is.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would use only the 10 and 12 on top of the bass drum, the 16" would go in a floor tom position. Long ago, i used 10,12,14 up, but these days I would put the 14" in a floor tom position, too. Tony Williams used a 3-floor tom setup:

You could also use 14" and 16" raised behind the 18" floor tom, Simon Phillips has been doing this recently.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
1. Raise your seat up. It's probably much lower than it needs to be.

2. Just flatten them out and get used to raising your hands higher to get to them. They'll sound much better being hit with the correct stick angle.

3. Raise your snare so that it's closer to your newly flattened out toms. It's probably too low like your throne probably is.
Snare is currently 25" to the top of the low side. Throne is 23 to top. I'm 5'10. Go alot higher?
I would use only the 10 and 12 on top of the bass drum, the 16" would go in a floor tom position. Long ago, i used 10,12,14 up, but these days I would put the 14" in a floor tom position, too. Tony Williams used a 3-floor tom setup:

You could also use 14" and 16" raised behind the 18" floor tom, Simon Phillips has been doing this recently.
See my photos abovr of how I set it up. The 14 and 16 rack toms are more behind the 18. I have the 18 floor tom squeezed in close where my knee just fits between the floor tom and snare

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have handled a similar problem by putting some space between the 10 and 12 and adding the 16 as a higher second row, the space allowing the 16 to get a few inches closer to the snare. I used 2 DW stands just for those 3 drums with the 10 and 16 on one.

Last edited:

Rmgreg

Reaction score
I have handled a similar problem by putting some space between the 10 and 12 and adding the 16 as a higher second row, the space allowing the 16 to get a few inches closer to the snare.
Hmm. Do have a pic? Trying to visualize. Here's where I am now. Toms are really close to hitting kick though.

Attachments

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Digging Tony’s use of brushes on what appears to be a clear dot snare batter!

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good old Simon Phillips! The 'V' dual cymbal stand's the give away. Paint cans too.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As posted earlier, sit higher. Drumming is all economics of movement. Ape-hanging drums and distant cymbals spell a losing game. If you look at the old-school greats you'll see what I'm getting at. It's a proven theory. My drums are virtually rim to rim in height, including the floor tom. All on the same level. Effortless to play and rapid drum to drum transits. I'm really able to get away with it because I went back to the traditional grip about 40 years ago.

Attachments

Rmgreg

Reaction score
As posted earlier, sit higher. Drumming is all economics of movement. Ape-hanging drums and distant cymbals spell a losing game. If you look at the old-school greats you'll see what I'm getting at. It's a proven theory. My drums are virtually rim to rim in height, including the floor tom. All on the same level. Effortless to play and rapid drum to drum transits. I'm really able to get away with it because I went back to the traditional grip about 40 years ago.
I think I have got them pretty close. I could raise the floor tom but it's close to the snare level

Attachments

Rmgreg

Reaction score
What height is your throne and snare?

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I have got them pretty close. I could raise the floor tom but it's close to the snare level
That's mighty close to what I have with my YMCAs, damn near perfect. I sit right close to my snare and access the floor tom with my wrist much like a windshield wiper for those quick hits without having to twist. My snare is not stand mounted either. It's mounted from an arm from the vertical post just left of the bass drum. Notice no Bass drum spurs? It's suspended from the top. It's only contact with the floor is in the pedal. I included a picture here. Every drum has it's own mic. The Bass gets one on the reso side too. Take a look at the pictures below and the ones I just posted earlier above.

Attachments

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama Solved this
for the
"If I can't play a 22" or larger bass I'm running
up to my room and slamming the door" crowd.
I know it's only Friday night at the Adamsburg Fire hall benefit dance for John Brown ...who lost a kidney riding his motorcycle while divorcing his 2nd wife before his house burned down to the ground..... but to us... "it's an Arena"

a 10X12 over an 18" bass drum - is at my limit

Last edited:

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What height is your throne and snare?
I vary the height depending on the bass drum size. I'm about 6 feet tall, about 210 pounds. I go from a 20 to 28 inch bass drum. I sit just high enough not to have to rely on my feet having to keep me from teetering forward. My throne is a large diameter Dentist's stool on casters who's seat pad leads right up to the back of my knees. No more floating thighs since 1982. They're fully supported. My ankles do all the work. They basically 'float' on the pedals. Get great dynamic control too. I'm perfectly balanced on the throne. Take my feet off the pedals and I'm still totally balanced on the throne. The wider the pad, the better in my case. My snare's upper rim is about 4 inches above the highest portion of my front thigh. I'm centered on the snare AND bass drum and not to the side like most playing on a single bass drum. I modified some of my double pedals to allow perfect centering of my self on the kit. Being comfortable on the kit is most important for me, shouldn't be a workout! Posture is everything!! A cable hat on each side and a cowbell on the left. No snare stand either. Here's a proto-type photo.

Attachments

Last edited: